2nd Gen R60 Countryman What can be happening when I see this?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by frankthetank77, Sep 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Marketing, graphic design, photography and video p
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Last night was the second time this came up on the readout, in yellow, and as it says, I lost full power. What could be causing this? :(

I ask, because like many around here, I'm a DIYer and would like to see what I can check before I head over to the....eeek....dealer.

Much thanks in advance for you input!

Attached Files:

2. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    That happened to me recently, the turbo waste-gate had gone. Ended up being a pretty pricey repair, as it was part of the entire turbo and not a separate part as I'd hoped. I ended up having to have the assembly shipped off to be rebuilt, and it was not cheap.

I'd start though, by having someone at Autozone run the codes for you and see if the computer can tell you anything. They weren't able to bring up the specific errors on their machine for my issue, but it's a good place to begin.

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    Could be a lot of things. As a do it yourself guy, you really need to get a good OBD2 reader to diagnose car problems. The car will tell you what's wrong.

In the mean time, go to an Autozone, they'll read the fault codes on your car for free.

4. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    ...and find out where the best independent MINI shop is in your area for those time when DIY isn't up to the task. General dealership policy on service problems is to replace parts where an independent is more inclined to diagnose and repair and more often than not to be more economical.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Just remember Autozone cannot read MINI/ BMW specific codes they can only read general codes.

You need this: :ihih::Thumbsup: Its a great tool everyone should buy.
    Option 3 far right-hand side bottom: Basic Kit - Single Vehicle $179.00

Bavarian Technic Software - Products for sale

6. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    WOW! Thanks for your responses!

I'll have a go with my "Harbor Freight special" OBDII and see what it says. I didn't even think about that since the CEL never came on...just the half engine symbol. Would the CEL come on? Should it with this?

Would this be covered by most dealers extended warranty? It should be, right?

thanks again!

7. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    EEK! :fingerscrossed:Hopefully not that!

8. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE!

So on the way home last night I got the half power warning light up again and pulled over, shut her down and started her back up only to be met with it again. So, this morning I dropped her off at the local BMW dealership where purchased it and now I wait!

The one thing I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is the extended warranty i purchased with it. Apparently I didn't need to take it to them and I can basically take it to anyplace I need/want to. Does anyone have any insight to how these 3rd party insurance things work?

9. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE 2!

The inde shop is telling me it may have something to do with fuel pressure. According to them my fuel readout is also incorrect. The part that really sucks is that they aren't sure where to start to pinpoint the issue. Their directions are to drive it for 150 miles and not to let it get below a half tank and to let them know if I get the half power warning again...and it just happened at lunch with a half tank...so not back to them with this occurrence.

10. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    Go to the dealer, MINI has a 100,000 mile extended warranty on the High Pressure Fuel Pump. They have had problems with it.

You really should put your year and model of MINI in your signature so we are all on the same page when you ask for advice.

11. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    WOW! Good to know. Is it not classified as a recall? The reason I ask is because the inde shop said they checked for recalls and nothing showed up. Just curious how this is handled. Also, is there any service literature that I can be pointed in the direction of? Basically so when I go back to the inde, the nearest dealer is 2.5hrs away, I have something to take with me. If not, I'll give the dealer a call and go from there.

As far as my signature...done and done! Thanks for the note.

12. frankthetank77

Aug 26, 2014
    Central California
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your info!

It was exactly this! However, the indi that I took it to, which I will probably never take it back to, had to hear this info from me before they were "able to find the issue".

Problem solved. Thanks for this...it helped me tons!:biggrin5:

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for posting the results.