2nd Gen R60 Countryman No AC after Pressure washing

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by trp19string, Apr 18, 2017.

1. trp19string

trp19string New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Cad/Designer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,
    I was pressure washing the accumulation of road salt from this past winter from my engine compartment, and now my AC will not work. but It was working prior to the pressure washing . I took care in not having the nozzle to close to anything, and my pressure washer is not high powered (not commercial grade more big box store grade). has anyone run into this before and have any suggestions. My first check will be fuses then compressor wire harness as soon as I get home.

2. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Aside from being clean, I've never heard of any other benefit to pressure washing an engine. Also I've heard it's best to leave the engine running while doing so. My guess is you fried something. Saturating something that's not meant to be wet is never good, especially electronics/electronic connections.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Check ALL the fuses under the hood and is the drivers foot well. The owners manual will tell you the AC and fan fuses but use a test light and test them ALL. You may have blow another fuse that is related to the AC.

A test light like the one below will only run you $10- $15 bucks and will save a lot of time. Turn key on, Clamp to ground and touch each end of each fuse while they are in the fuse block. They all should light up every time you touch one. If they only light from one side you found a blown fuse. Also just because you find one keep checking the rest. :ihih:

[​IMG]

4. trp19string

trp19string New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Cad/Designer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave.O,

I checked all fuses and they were all good. I also noticed that my 1st stage fan does not come on too. (fan capacitor?)

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    Even with your fan only running on high you should still have AC. Could you have holed the condenser with your pressure washer? Even the home units pack a lot of pressure.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Did you also check the fuses under the hood?

7. trp19string

trp19string New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Cad/Designer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes I did, I also swapped the relays around just in case.

Thoughts on manually triggering the clutch thru the relay block to see if the ac clutch is bad? I can solder up a toggle switch and do a jumper thru the relay block.

8. trp19string

trp19string New Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Cad/Designer
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Crashton,

I still have good pressure in the system.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    There is a single wire going in to you compressor that activates the clutch. Up plug it and put a test light on it to see if it is getting power when you switch on the AC. If so you may have a bad clutch well a bad electromagnet that activates the clutch. Mine went bad and I was told I needed a new compressor but you can just replace the magnet. Thats what I did and it has been fine for years. Also there is a chance you just got something too wet. Let it dry out and see if it starts working.

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Also, there is a AC pressure sensor on the ac refrigerant line between compressor and firewall. Check to ensure it didn't get unplugged, or get water in the connection.