Car Glass: Cleaning and Polishing (Video by /DRIVE CLEAN)

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Steve, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    This guy puts more work into detail-level windshield cleaning than I would have ever considered. It all makes sense though...I think.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUtdlzrktI]Car Glass: Cleaning and Polishing -- /DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube[/ame]

2. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    I never thought of using a razor/clay on the glass.... Interesting...

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Clay, yes. Do that often.

The razor blade trick is new to me.

That and using various lofts of microfiber towels. Thats new to me too. Always used the blue paper towels one gets as Advance or other auto parts stores.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Cool video but I have used the buffer method with the exact same buffer and glass polish before and it is not worth the effort on a MINI because the MINI windshield is as vertical as a brick wall. Everything we hit either sticks or chips it.:mad2:

I don't recommend razor blades because one slip you have a nice scratch in your window.

From my earlier days of detailing new, used cars and body shop repaired cars I use 000 or 0000 steel wool to clean bugs and or paint overspray of off all exterior glass. It is soft and will not scratch the glass. It's much faster than razors, clay, buffing and cheaper too.

You can buy a pack (9-12 pads) of triple or quad zero steel wool at Lowes or Home Depot cheap. I cut 1 steel wool pads into thirds and store them in zip lock bag. I use the one around the car and throw them away because once steel wool gets wet it will rust quickly.

When I go to the Dragon every Spring I drive from Philly to Fontana at night starting at 10 PM till I get to Fontana around 7 AM and I hit every bug along the way.

I always clean my windshield at every gas or bathroom stop with steel wool and glass cleaner with a cheap microfiber the glass always looks great.

I do use Rain -X monthly and after I apply it I use a damp cloth to remove the haze and a dry MF towel with glass cleaner to get it streak free.

* A little trick and old detailer shared with me when I was younger was how to avoid presenting a clean car with glass streaks. If you know what side of the glass the streak is it easier to remove. To do this only clean one side of the glass from top to bottom and the other side left to right. I clean the outside glass top to bottom and the insides glass left to right.

Happy glass cleaning everyone. :Thumbsup:

5. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Great advise, Dave... Thanks.

6. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Hey Dave, I gave your #0000 steel wool method a try. Really worked great... super clean... no "ghosting" of the glass area that is outside the wiper path. Very nice.. Thanks!

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Cool glad it worked for you.

It is so much easier and safer the risking scratching your glass with a razor blade pulling it back and if you drag an edge you will be scratching the glass.

It also removes tree sap, bugs, sticker glue and even old window tint glue with ease with or without any glass cleaner as lube. I always use class cleaner with steel wool it just makes it easy. No need to use polish or waste good clay on glass. Just clean, Rain-X or Aquapel, wipe off the haze, touch up with freash very low to no pile MF and go on your way.

It's all about working smarter and faster, not harder and longer.:Thumbsup:

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Hay did they have glass in cars that far back? I think they called them horseless carriages s back then. :biggrin5::biggrin5:

9. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    You mean something like this? Didn't have much of anything back then. Didn't even have to worry about door dings. A nasty hail storm a few miles from home would be problematic though.
    IMG_3217.JPG

10. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    Dave.O's method is well proven on the Dragon run, stay and return!

11. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Another testimonial for Dave.0's method. I used 0000 to clean the windshield of my 4 year old cute-ut this week and it's like looking through brand new glass. Didn't realize how much crud had built up and wasn't getting cleaned off with normal washing.

12. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    With Spring springing, folks detailing MINIs and bug season coming on us, I'll bump this post. Once again, it did wonders removing miles of built up winter road spray grime from our vehicles. :Thumbsup:

13. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for bumping it!

I was just looking for something like this.....

14. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    This is how I live now. I did this when I went to the Dragon. :arf:

15. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I too have done Dave's method, and passed it on to friends. Everyone has been grateful so far!

Thanks again!

16. BLacher

BLacher New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    BTT

My new to me R60 All4S has much pitting in the windsheild. Any advice for this? Making it better?

17. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Replace it with Pilkington glass.