Remove Vinyl Stripes

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by technogeek, Aug 27, 2014.

1. technogeek

technogeek New Member

May 21, 2014
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    On my 08 Clubman the silver stripes have quickly exposed themselves to be a major pain. It started with pieces as large a one inch square, after a few inches the largest piece I can get off is about a 1/8 inch spot.

This was supposed to be as easy as I read about, but no.

Any suggestions on speeding up a piece by piece removal?
    It tears and seems to have lost most of the pliability.
    I hate to use any tool on it as it may scratch/scuff the paint.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Heat is the key.

Try using heat gun on low or a hair dryer on high. Warm up a section and you will be able to pull them up in no time.

The whole job with a heat gun will only take about 10-15 min.

Caution the hotter you get the strips the more they will burn your finger tips.

3. technogeek

technogeek New Member

May 21, 2014
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Been there done that

Been there Done that.
    Not trying to be #$$ but I tried the heat trick, but it still only comes off in a very small 1/8 inch small piece and breaks. so i scratch up a new edge and repeat. I have not tried to heat up and just scrape the mass/glob of stripe off, only trying to get an edge an peel. the stripe just seems to be super thin with no desire to peel as a film.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    You just need to heat it up a bit more. It needs to be hot enough to soften the vinyl and glue. I have never had any luck with the hair dryers. Heat gun and a very careful touch should do it.

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    More heat, you need much more heat.

Do not use a scrapper just use a finger nail to lift the edge when it's warm.

Pull it up a little and then heat it a little more.

6. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Heat gun worked like a champ for me. Both stripes were intact when I finished and no residue left behind.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    When I had to take the flag off the top of my mini I used a heat gun then goo gone to get rid of the residue. The vinal was cracked and hard after 9 years it took a long time to get it off. Be carefully don't burn the paint.

8. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    If all else fails go to auto parts store and get some 3M vinyl/adheasive remover. Not the cheapest stuff around but works.. This is why you need to use only a top grade of vinyl. It will last longer and remove easier then the cheap stuff that dries out quick. ( Cast vs Calendered vinyl ) Granted any of it will dry out if car is left in the high sun-light all the time..

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    You might try taking the MINI out and run it for 1/2 hour to get the engine and hood hot then use the heat gun..... This way the hood itself has latent heat in addition to what you will be adding to the vinyl stripes..... Now if the vinyl has a bunch of hairline cracks.... you may be at it for a while...

10. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Or, just park it in my driveway for an hour. Those suckers will probably slide right off on their own!

11. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I think that is the OP problem.. Been in the sun way too long and all but dry rotted. Silver is one of the worst colors as well...

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Strip-less looks better anyhow.

13. technogeek

technogeek New Member

May 21, 2014
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    stripe

My Mini has only spent maybe 3 nights outside, It is a garage queen. But unfortunately it does sit in a Parking lot at work during the day so maybe this info is not valid.
    The car has always been clean and gets a bath at least weekly and waxed at least 4 times a year.
    The stripes are Factory and silver, they have always looked good until showing fade early this summer, now they are checking/cracking.
    While trying to remove they seem Very thin and fragile.
    I will try lots more heat and use a Lil Chizler.

For the people who have "Actually" removed a problem stripe, If this process fails, would it be wrong to heat the stripe enough to "really soften" and scrape it up/off with the Lil Chizler? Im not worried about paint burn I can be very careful about this, I'm worried about light scuffing and a gooey mess from residue. I do plan on cleaning up the adhesive residue with Goo Gone or WD-40 as other sites recommended.

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    The first American flag on my roof was cracking. It came off in little peceses no matter what I did. I used a heat gun in the hot summer sun, in the south. I added up the hours it took to get it off my car........18

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I fear you are in this for the long haul.... The cracks are the killer... Take your time and you'll get it done.... then use the Goo Gone to remove any glue residue and you'll be finished.... Be thankful the MINI bonnet is short....

Think of that flaming chickin on the Trans Am hood...

16. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I still say it is worth a trip/money to get some 3m spray vinyl remover.. Lighter fluid works good for any mess left as well.

17. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I feel your pain. (my thread on the subject, in case you haven't seen it yet)

I left mine on longer and from what you've written they were in worse shape than yours when I finally decided to take them off. But as long as they've deteriorated to the point where they won't hold together well enough to pull/peel, you're likely stuck with the same few options for removal.

With mine, the Lil Chizlers worked like bulldozers because the stripes had almost no structure left and were more like painted adhesive. But it worked.

I mentioned some paint damage, not "caused by the heat", in the last post in my thread but I realize now I didn't explain...need to go back and clarify in the thread. I decided quickly that almost all the paint damage was likely caused by putting the stripes on too soon over a freshly painted hood, not by the mechanics of removing the stripes. I did see a bit of very fine abrasion here and there but I don't think it was the Chizlers themselves. I think it was caused by dust, etc, embedded in the adhesive and being pushed along the paint while scraping with the Chizlers. Doesn't take much to get rid of micro-scratches like that.

18. technogeek

technogeek New Member

May 21, 2014
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    resolved

I resolved my issue. I went to a auto paint supplier and bought a "Smart Eraser Pad" made by Astro Pneumatic Tool Company PN 400E for $17
    It tool less than 30 min to remove both stripes.
    Keep it moving with a light touch and it is amazing. 3M makes one for 2X the cost if you feel the need to spend more.
    I am attaching the picture of the last stripe about 50% completed.
    When your done hose off the residue, it has all the vinyl mixed in it and will leave gummy smears.
    When Done with the eraser, I hosed off the eraser residuals, wiped a few adhesive left over spots with Goo Gone, then washed it, then rubbed it with 3M Ultra fine machine polish the Blue stuff, then waxed it.
    Now it would be a challenge to see where the stripe was originally.
    Very happy with the results.:Thumbsup:

[​IMG]