17" Anthracite R90 Corrosion under clear coat

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Fledge, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Fledge

Fledge New Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Transportation
    Peabody Ma
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    These are the two piece rims and the outside band has patches of stained circles that look like corrosion under the clear coat. Visited a popular wheel restoring place and they quoted 150 ea to fix. Saw the same wheels on ebay fo super cheap prices but I am not super picky so if there's a way to eithere remove the clear coat without nasty chemicals or clean some of the stains I'd be satisfied.

The rest of the wheels are in good shape. Looked around the forums for advice but all I see is stripping methods but I live in a condo and don't have access to a garage. Any advise is greatly appreciated. :eek6:

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Where are you located?

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    So how did the Aluminum BBS R90 rim rust? :idea:

I think you have bad hard water spots under the clear coat.
    They need to be taken apart, polished and sprayed and re assembled if you are going to do it right the first time.

$150 a wheel is a good deal because it is a lot of work.

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    You can have them dipped to remove all the finish and then powder coated for about $65 a wheel.

5. JackMac

JackMac Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    PA
    Ratings:
    +256 / 0 / -0
    This is a common issue with the R90. You can have them refinished professionally, or for just slightly more you can get 4 brand new ones.

There is no quick fix.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Remember the OEM R90's are made by BBS and they are true 2 piece wheels.
    To to the job right you have to disassemble them (outer hoop from center) and correct each piece and reassemble the rims and torque all those bolts to spec going around the rim.

Side note:
    I used to have the eBay knock offs of the MINI R90 and they were one piece sealed in clear coat wheels and they lasted and held up better then the OEM R90's and all (4) only cost $425 delivered to my door.

Much better deal, and you could not tell the difference between the knock off's and OEM when they were on the car unless you really knew what to look for. :ihih: