How do I get rid of that smell???

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by dchernikoff, Jul 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dchernikoff

dchernikoff New Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Software Engineering Manager
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and Mini's, having just bought my first Mini, a 2009 S hardtop. It's in great shape, except it has a smell inside... It's really obnoxious. Kind of a cross between baby wipes, very old McDonald's french fries, and some other biological smells. When I ride with the roof open and the windows down, it goes away. But comes right back when I park it over night, even with the roof popped open. I don't want to just cover it up with other smells, I want to get rid of this odor.

Any suggestions? I bought this stuff at the hardware store that actually emits chlorine gas. You open it up, put it in your car with the windows closed overnight, and it supposedly kills any bacteria in the car that's making smells. But the warnings say stuff like "chlorine gas may corrode metal and vinyl upholstery", etc, and so I'm afraid to use it!

I've stuck my nose down everywhere in the car and can't pinpoint a location for the smell. It's just everywhere, I guess.

Thanks for any recommendations!

-Dan

2. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #2 BlwnAway, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  3. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Talk with a car detailer to see if an ozone treatment will eliminate the smell.

4. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Baking soda...I have left a pan of it under the seats, and in the trunk....
    If it still comes back...Sprinkle it around....
    Let it sit... vacume it out...might work for an odor...but...
    maybe just rent a carpet cleaner...and clean away.

If there is dried bits stuck....nothing is gonna get it out till you get it OUT OF THE CAR.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Go find a local detailer and ask them if they do ozone treatments?

It is a machine that they put in you car and seal up your car and it kills all and any bacteria and smells.

My friend has one at his detail shop and runs it on every used car he does for a local dealership. They put it in the car and let it run overnight and the next day the car smells like nothing was ever inside at all.

6. dchernikoff

dchernikoff New Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @red bull and @Dave.o: I've never heard of ozone treatments, sounds like it's worth a try. And safer than that DIY chlorine gas kit I got... Thanks.

As far as charcoal bags and other smell absorbers, I've had a lava rock one in there for a while that is supposed to absorb all odors in a 9000 sq ft room, and it did nothing. :-( I think I need to bring out the big guns like the ozone treatment to kill the bacteria! And I probably should shampoo the rugs and scrub the upholstery, maybe with one of those pet odor remover solvents? But sounds like a lot of work, lol.

-Dan

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2rxFS0qDQ"]The Smelly Smell that Smells Smelly (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

8. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Did you change the cabin filter and clean the ducts to all the inside filters?

Ozone treatment will kill most orders, but it has to be an overnight in a sealed up car to be effective.

What is the history of the MINI, it has never been wet right, left open to the rain, sunk in a swamp, etc... etc ...

Good luck.
    Don

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  10. dchernikoff

dchernikoff New Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a carbon cabin filer on order and will install when I get it. But the smell is NOT coming from the vents at all. I smell it strongest when the car has sat for several hours with the engine off and the windows closed. Even with the sunroof cracked open I still get the smell overnight.

I bought the car from a guy up in the mountains who has a baby and a 10 year old daughter. He had it for a few years. There was standing water in the trunk under the tool tray -- he claimed he spilled a water jug back there a few days prior. I cleaned it out and scrubbed in there with ammonia. The smell isn't really coming from there, at least not that I can tell. There are no obvious stains or mold/mildew anywhere. It "looks" clean. Maybe it is in the vents -- how do you clean them?

I found a place that does an overnight ozone treatment for $50. That's probably worth a try, but I'm thinking I should shampoo the rugs and upholstery first.

-Dan

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    See my link for what you should clean and remove from your car before you take it for an ozone treatment.

Don't even bother cleaning the vents as it not worth the effort if you are doing an ozone treatment soon.

12. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Imo DO swap the cabin airfilter...or inspect it at the very least...
    Many folks have found mice nests...know you say it not the vents...but costs you zero to check. About 5 minutes.

13. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, I have seen this treatment in progress at a dealership, and it removes even cigarette odors.

They do it with the car running and the vent system on full blast and the temperature on "hot". So, it deodorizes everything, including the vents.

CD

14. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Replace the cabin filters and spill a few beers inside afterwards. Can't go wrong!

15. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Very popular here in the South, but not so much in civilized places. :frown2:

CD

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Has the headliner been replaced lately. I redid my liner and it took over a month to quit stinking to high heaven.

17. dchernikoff

dchernikoff New Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No it has the original headliner still. It's not a chemical/glue/plastic smell. It's definitely something organic...

I found a local detailing shop that will do the ozone treatment for $50 -- not too bad! Or $250 for the interior detailing plus ozone... I also looked into renting the ozone machines. They even rent them at the local tool rental place. But it was like $75 a day, so might be better to just have the detailer do it.

Thanks all for the info, I'll let you know how things turn out.

-Dan

18. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Organic?............well um.................could it be coming from the DRIVER?:eek6::lol::lol:

Sorry couldn't let that pass

oops no pun intended:biggrin5:

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^ I bet it smells like the previous driver couldn't either. :lol: