Mud Flaps for '05-'06 MINIs!

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by panaphobic, Feb 7, 2012.

1. panaphobic

panaphobic Club Coordinator

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    As all the '05-'06 MINI owners know, there are no rear mud flaps available for your MINI. So I'm thinking about taking some time and trying to make something work. I know how to use and make fiberglass items so I was thinking about trying to fashion a set out of fiberglass and testing it. I would ultimately like a plastic set but I'm not experienced in plastic molding or anything. Anyone out there know how to I could go about making a set in plastic once I have a set of fiberglass ones made up that work? And once I have a set made up, who would be interested in them if the price is right?

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Might want to get a hold of the Cooper rear mud flaps and work from there. They will work, but they need a bit of modding as they incorporate part of the black fender in them.
    The lack of rear flaps affect all Gen 1 S's.

3. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Wow that's really weird. I remember a few years ago I was investigating it and minicarparts.net actually had them for the 02-04 MINIs, but no where had 05-06 ones. Now they don't even show up on the website anymore. I know I saw them there because I I was pretty annoyed with the fact that they "forgot" about the 05-06 MINIs. Now they are no where to be found as well. I know I still have an old minicarparts.net catalog floating around somewhere. I'll have to check it out to see if I'm losing my mind or not lol. As for buying a set and making them work, I thought of that but I'm going to try and make something from scratch. Design it to work properly and fit perfect.

4. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    The OEM 1st gen rear flaps were made to fit non-S Cooper 02-04. For MCS, they can be made to fit if you swap out the rear arch trim with non-S Cooper arches.

However, what are your goals with the mud flaps? It's been widely reported in the forums that the OEM rear flaps did little or nothing to keep dirt off the rear. Most of the dirt comes from getting sucked up from under the car by aerodynamics, not from the tires.

5. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    But I know from personal experience that the flaps will reduce the amount of debris picked up and thrown by the tires (which is usually much heavier and more damaging.....lol)

6. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I was mainly concerned with all the dirt/debris being tossed up by the tires. If the ground is wet, be back end looks like I went off-roading lol I want to try and eliminate it as much as possible. Maybe I can devise something as well to trap the rest of it coming from under the car as well