I need advice on an upgrade to my shop...

Discussion in 'Garage Talk :: Tool, Tips and Maintenance' started by Rawhyde, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I have a small shop, but it's pretty nice. Over the last couple of years, I've upgraded the lighting, added air lines, a nice heater, and air conditioning.

I am considering a cool upgrade, and I'm hoping for some advice from you as to whether it'll work...

I want to add a Max Jax. It is basically a two post lift (supposedly portable) that is designed for small shops. My shop is certainly small. It is 24' wide by 20' deep.

Here's a pic so you'll have a better idea.

If anyone has any experience or advice, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Rawhyde

image4-edit-800.jpg

image8-800.jpg

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  3. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I'd go for the Max Jax, I have a friend with an Atlas type and it sucks for any real work. You can't drop the exhaust or the subframe because the scissor lift is in the way. If you put on a car heavier than the MINI, it's wobbly and needs extra bracing to be stable. If your car is lowered, you have to make ramps to get it on.
    We want a 2 post type lift next . . . but the damn race car keeps sucking the discretionary car fund dry :)

4. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the link. There was some good information in that post. Have you decided on what you want yet? So far, I prefer the Max Jax; but the EZ Lift has the advantage of being more portable. The scissor type would be OK for the MINI, but wouldn't be very useful for a RWD car if you needed to drop a transmission.

I just wish I could afford to build the shop that's floating around in my mind so I could fit a full sized asymetric lift, but I gotta make the best of what I have.

5. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    You might want to check out another site called garagejournal.com. The gang over there are all about garages and tools and certainly lifts.

Just search for lifts and you will get a lot of info.

Good luck.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Still not sure which way I am going, funds and a new garage slab are needed first.....lol