VacuCam Updated with Flip Ultra HD

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Octaneguy, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    As many of you know, I used to manufacture and market the VacuCam switchable micro camera systems. Earlier this year I purchased a Flip Ultra HD camcorder and it's been an incredible tool. Last weekend I participated in a local 4 hour mountain run, and shot footage with my Flip, though unfortunately hand held! From past experience this footage is pretty much unwatchable as you feel motion sick right away!

So tonight I took a VacuCam 1B (with the adjustable ball mount), attached the Flip Ultra HD to it inverted. I mounted it to my sunroof above the passenger seat. I brought the footage into iMovie and rotated it right side up which amazingly took almost no time at all to do.

Here is the result of the first test. I realize placement isn't optimal.

I think the results are very promising. I've got many more ideas planned here now that I know camera orientation doesn't matter.

Richard

http://www.facebook.com/v/1251691615420

2. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Seems pretty cool. Too bad uploaded videos usually have to be made a lower resolution.

3. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    There are two problems with my footage. One it was shot at night...the Flip is lousy in low light and second, I'm using an older version of iMovie that doesn't support 720p so it's resizing it down.

I shot more footage on my way to work this morning that looks substantially better..but I gotta finish this Porsche before I can post it. I will upload it to YouTube so I can embed it here in the post.

Richard

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Does this mean the VacuCam system is coming back???

5. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Undecided at this point. If I do, it'll just be the mounts without the cameras. Sadly, the ex wife hawked all my inventory when I wasn't around, so I'd be starting from scratch again.

I think you'll like the POV on the next clip. It shows from the driver perspective. Footage from the Kodak Zi8 might be improved with its built in stabilization and external mic input over the Flip. I intend to get one in the near future.

6. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Ok here is a much better clip. Same mount, location adjusted. Process same.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aZvce4NUDY"]YouTube - VacuCam Flip Test2[/ame]

7. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Looks great, Richard!

8. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Those crazy line bumps on the road sound like you're hitting a mountain.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Bott's Dots

Darn things are annoying. But y'all that live where the snow flies don't get the pleasure.

10. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    My car is pretty stiff, so the interior panels creak a lot, and my fire extinguisher tends to rattle on bumps too. The cool thing is that the stereo mic of the camera is pretty much where my ears are, so you're hearing what I hear daily, lol.

11. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Richard, dumb question, but what's that convex mirror image in the upper part of your windshield? Nice clear video though!

12. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! It's called LightInSight.com

It's for seeing stop lights and things where you would have to crane your neck to see them.

Richard

13. flatlander_48

flatlander_48 New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Mechanical Engineer, retired
    Cathedral City, CA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that on my first MINI test drive. If you're the first car at a medium to small intersection (and sometimes larger), it's almost easier to stick your head out the window...

Anyway, interesting set up. Might be nice for track days if you pass on OBD data...

14. that vacucam is really cool. i bet driving canyons and twisties and even autocross would be a LOT of fun knwoing that you can watch your own line. i'd love to play with this bad boy in my car.

15. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    This is from the Italian Job Charity Run in 2009 shot in the same manner.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMjBTBVHoG8&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Chasing a modded Classic Mini with modded R53 MINI[/ame]