Functional Mid-Grill

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by k-huevo, Nov 12, 2009.

1. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    The fake grill on top of the bumper cover has bugged me from the moment I discovered it wasn’t real. A few others have gone before on this fix, Nathan and Lynn (or anyone else) are welcome to post their examples if they feel like it. There are a few things I would do different if I could, I would definitely remove less bumper and bumper cover, and in fact I had planned to, but made a few mistakes that required cover-up cutting. In any case here’s how it went.

An opening in the back of the bumper
    [​IMG]

An opening in the front
    [​IMG]

A test fit on the vehicle, note the amount of obstruction the bumper poses for the available space on the left.
    [​IMG]

Foam weather seal to fill the gap in front, and hard foam for the rail void to prevent side diversion down the hollow space.
    [​IMG]

Three working grills
    [​IMG]

Now that it’s done, I’m second-guessing myself on screwing with whatever the design engineers intended when they created that dead space. I just hope it helps the AC do its job.

2. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What you're trading

is improved cooling capacity for increased drag. How much of each, I have no clue....

Let us all know if you percieve any differences.

Matt