CAI for R56 Justa

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by SK8BRD, Nov 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It's been a while since I've posted an adventure, but they've been pretty tame. The 19mm TSW rear sway bar has been a rock solid performer, more than living up to expectations.

So, I've been looking at horsepower mods. Given that I'm in an R56 Justa, there just aren't any. At all.

I put a Magnaflow muffler on the back and have been quite happy with it, but finding anything else has turned up nothing.

Track days, SK8BRD gets about 15 mpg, while the R53 guys are getting about 8. Clearly, more horsepower means I need to find a way to use more gas. I've already got the back end breathing better, may be it's time to get the front end pulling more air.

So, it's time for a Cold Air Intake, there are lots of choices available for my turbo charged friends, but not much for me. Only two K&N choices, and when I look at the total area of the K&N CAIs it's much less than the stock filter. Clearly the way to go is the K&N filter charger and finding a way to get it more air. Looking at realoem.com there is this thing in the breathing path called a resonator, part number twelve below;

[​IMG]

It's held on by one bolt, I take it off and start SK8BRD up. No codes, and I've essentially got a CAI for free.

I go for a ride. Holy smoke, this thing is LOUD, I mean LOUDER than the Magnaflow in the back under acceleration.

I'll order the K&N filter, but the real test will come when I see what my lap times become, and what my MPG at the track is.

2. xnotfunkylex

xnotfunkylex New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I need to tell my friend about this.

3. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
  4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I am interested in this, but from the picture it looks as if the the muffler is still there and it is using the factory air feed from the front grill. If so, how does this very from just putting a K&N in the factory air box?

Jim

5. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
  6. dave@ddmworks.com

[email protected] New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Jim,

The air flow meter and tubing comes out on different sides for the "S" and the cooper, so you can not use the "S" intake without a lot of trouble.

The DDM intake for the cooper is better than just a K&N filter in the stock airbox as the back side of our intake is open towards the firewall and allows more air to get to the filter than the stock intake box.

Hope that helps!
    Dave

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Sounds like it will also bring in more heat than the stock airbox. Might be great on those really cold days this winter.

8. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I like what DOS did with their S CAI -- This idea could easily be adapted to the "justa". I wish I had seen that concept before I did mine.
    [​IMG]

I would only need to turn a elbow 180 degrees and go into the cowl for the fresh air pickup -- now it goes all the way to the front which may be just as good?

9. Mini'mon

Mini'mon New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    MINI Performance Parts Designer
    San Francisco, CA
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Interesting setup. Let us know if you're willing to share some pics of your creative K&N setup for your Justa'.

-Clint

Defenders of Speed | [email protected]

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'd think pulling the air from outside, either the front or cowl would be the way to go.

11. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  12. Mini'mon

Mini'mon New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    MINI Performance Parts Designer
    San Francisco, CA
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Yup. Sent you a reply email.

Thanks for sharing those.

-Clint

13. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Up close and personal the CAI in RonsMinnie looks great and looks to be a significant upgrade.

14. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    The volume of the DDM box is alot bigger and uses a K&N cylinder filter. We dyno'd the DDM with and without the intake muffler and there was at most a 1hp difference. I was surprised at how much difference the intake made.

15. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Way, but since I posted that I learned that the back of the DDM box is open, which I did not realize at first. You can expect an order around the end of November if my wife picks up on my hints for a Christmas presant. :Thumbsup:

Jim