2nd Gen Vacuum Pump Delete & AOS

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by IDLife MINI, Jan 7, 2015.

1. IDLife MINI

IDLife MINI New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Nutrition & Wellness National Director, IDLife
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well I for one, love my MINI and have been fixing the issues that lead to most of the drama these cars have.

For one... I am removing the PCV system and have installed an Air/Oil separator made from easy to find parts at Home Depot. Using 1.5" PVC, two kitchen sink stainless drain screens and the high density 3M pad for a vapor collector sandwiched in the PVC pipe has proven on other turbo vehicles to be very effective. The two points on the valve cover are now connected to draw through an oil filtration point, then the breather to the turbo inlet is connected at a higher point so I can have clean crankcase air drawn in for better ring seal.

I was alerted to my failing vacuum pump by the oil dripping on the ground from the vacuum line disconnected from the rear vac reservoir. So after a LOT of searching, decided to make a block off part to remove the vacuum pump altogether. I then removed the intake manifold, bored out the fitting to 8mm and installed a check valve so the system only sees vacuum, not boost. I made a secondary vacuum reservoir which has a 13-19 hg/in sensor switch that powers a Cadillac CTS-V electric aux vacuum pump so my brakes & boost control solenoid will always have sufficient vacuum to function. I mounted the Vacuum Reservoir under the cowl panel and low enough to not hit the wiper mechanism.

So far I have spent less money to do all this than it would have taken to replace the pump alone... and I will never have to worry about it failing again! In fact... I bet I free up a few HP from not having to turn it at all!

I will have this project all wrapped up in a week when I can get more time to mess with it. Should be a great mod to share!

Attached Files:

2. IDLife MINI

IDLife MINI New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just a few more pics

Attached Files:

3. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the "How To"

I just use a compressor air/water separator from Harbor Freight. Less then $5.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I wonder how that PVC piping will hold up over time. Nice work hope it turns out to be a long term solution for you.

5. IDLife MINI

IDLife MINI New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    For the AOS, it is simply a test to see how well it works. The passenger side fitting from the valve cover was blocked by a threaded plug, thus making it completely ineffective for drawing crankcase pressure into the intake. The second fitting from the valve cover to the turbo inlet was also full of oil, leading me to remove the intercooler to flush out nearly a half pint of oil! After days of gravity draining, I washed it out and reinstalled it.

I am planning to drop the oil pan, tap a fitting so the AOS can drain directly into the engine if I cannot find an acceptable boss or plug already in the engine not being used. This is not my first rodeo but it is my first dance with the MINI Cooper, so we shall see how well she likes it!

6. IDLife MINI

IDLife MINI New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    #6 IDLife MINI, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    I thought of that idea, but I really did not think it would be as effective as having a larger volume to separate the oil from the air vapor at low pressures. A compressor Air/Oil separator is under pressure and usually not designed for synthetic oils. The other issue is that using the Harbor Freight versions are simply not designed for high volume, low pressure. By having a small orifice, you increase the velocity of airflow thus helping to keep the oil in vapor suspended. By reducing the pressure and velocity across the medium in the separator, you do two things... first you drop pressure which helps liquids condense. This removes water vapor from the inside of the engine that collects as climates change and the engine warms up. This reduces rust contamination and oxidation from moisture. Secondly you increase the collection of the oil in the separator due to the dropping of the pressure.

Having large .75" inlets & outlets to the AOS with multiple layers of stainless steel mesh for the oil to be caught in conjunction with the 90-degree bend at the top really will keep the oil away from my intake and ultimately away from my intercooler.

If it all works the way I like, then I will get a KRU-82 Vodka Bottle and make a REAL NICE AOS system!
    Wecome to KRÜ 82 | KRÜ 82 Vodka

thoughts?

:fingerscrossed:

Attached Files:

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    If you are in the area of the country that is seeing -7F temperatures like we did today in Columbus... Be aware there will be quite a bit of crankcase water vapor that gets collected in the mesh.... Sitting outside with a cold engine at startup, you may have issues with ice blockage until the engine heats up enough to melt the plug.... and until then you will probably experience high crankcase pressures which aren't a good thing....

8. IDLife MINI

IDLife MINI New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    #8 IDLife MINI, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    Just an update on the progress. I finished the install of my Vacuum pump delete and AOS install. The car runs GREAT!! I cannot believe how quiet it is without the vacuum pump! The engine feels like it pulls hard, although I am sure it is just because the colder weather is helping to make more power.

Here is a link to the install overview video:
    [ame="http://youtu.be/45YD3WFG7u0"]R56 MINI Cooper S Vacuum Pump Delete Mod & Air/Oil Separator - YouTube[/ame]

9. IDLife MINI

IDLife MINI New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  10. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
  11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Interesting project...

What was the purpose of the center bolt in your aluminum blocking plate replacing the OEM vacuum pump....

Care to share the P/N of the GM electric vacuum pump...

12. IDLife MINI

IDLife MINI New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Because I did not have a block of billet to begin with, so I made it from 0.25" sheet, machined and bolted together.

Attached Files:

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Ahhhh.... That makes sense...

Thanks!

14. IDLife MINI

IDLife MINI New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  15. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  16. IDLife MINI

IDLife MINI New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just an update... I've logged over 200 miles around town with no issues, the brakes work great and the around town driving has been flawless. Tomorrow I will be driving to NOLA from Houston, so this will be the first road trip since the install. So far the in town mpg is up with a better throttle response and smoother idling too.

Stay tuned!

17. jetsr6

jetsr6 Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Driver
    Loganton, PA
    Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    It’s been awhile did you make it back are you ok? Long update would be nice.