Something new and different.

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by nabeshin, Jan 19, 2010.

1. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm cooking up something new and different. Something I've never seen on a MINI. Quite frankly, I'm surprised no one makes something like this. But there is a chance I can't actually do this, because of copyright issues. I've seen other graphics with copy written logos, cartoon characters, art works, etc. reproduced with no apparent repercussions.

Would non-commercial, one off, credit-given, personal use of an image be tolerated? Would it be fine until someone on their end notices or complains? What about if it is slightly altered? The final product will be no more than 8"x8". Honestly though, if I could pay for the use, I would. Better yet, commission a custom piece. However, there appears to be no way of getting in contact.

2. Agro

Agro MINI of the Month - April '10

Jun 21, 2009
    Snr Systems Analyst
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Depends on what the image is and where/how it's going to be used. One of the Sin City guys got permission to have the Kansas Jayhawk logo put on his Wet Okele seat covers, didn't cost him anything in licensing. When I was at UNL, we got permission to use the UNL & Colorado logos on fraternity fund-raising t-shirts at no cost.

What are you trying to use? Your post is kinda vague.

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    The only way anyone would object to you using someone's logo is if you were trying to profit from it.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    There could be other reasons. As in what context the logo is used. If used in a hurtful, or derogatory or malicious fashion. Someone from their legal department will make an effort to contact you.

But typically the first filter is if you are trying to make money off of their logo.

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Way off topic for this thread, but would using a logo in derogatory manner not fall under the 1st amendment?

6. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I've been using the 'Blue Meanie' image for years now and haven't heard from any lawyers. But of course I always do things in taste and never upset anyone. :D

(Not sure who owns the rights to this character. Michael Jackson's estate? Yoko Ono? Probably United Artists.) :confused5:

7. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Probably, but I'm not an attorney. I think if you tried to sell such a thing, then you'd be in trouble.

On-topic - if you're making something for your own use, it's unlikely the artist will ever know (witness the Blue Meanie mentioned above). If you are going to sell something with someone else's creation on it, then you're profiting from their work which I imagine is a copyright violation. I'm not sure if "I tried to ask, but I couldn't reach them" is a valid argument, but it could be.

All the arm-chair attorneys like me could come up with better pseudo-legal arguments if we had a better idea of what you're up to. Are you pulling something off a web site? Scanning something?

8. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to keep this low key until I'm done and I unveil it. But I am using digital scans of original drawings - available on the artist's own site and various fan sites. The images will not be significantly altered,be defiled, or used in a derogatory manner etc. The drawings will, in a roundabout way, be used for their intended purpose.

No email or way to contact was listed on the artist's site. I am not going to sell anything. The bottom of the artist's page has a copyright. I only used the logo/cartoon character line as an example for a similar situation.

If all goes well, you can look for this new and different thing on my car at the Dragon. To clarify, this is something new for MINIs, but has been used extensively elsewhere.

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Good luck nabeshin:wink5:
    For those of us that can't attend the Dragon, pictures would be nice.

10. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    This might be a silly question - but have you checked Google? The artist might be represented by an agent or gallery.

11. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Wow...I am really intrigued now...
    this new and improved MINI - Thing - sounds TGTBT...

wish I was gonna be able to make it to the Dragon to see it

12. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'll put up photos after for those who couldn't make it, but not before. I want to make a splash at the Dragon, have my MINI stand out a little. Even impressive MINIs would begin to pall on people after seeing hundreds in a day.

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Not sure you should really be doing this as I am sure there would be some major repercussions from the Asian Cars Consortium.

[​IMG]

But then again it hasn't been done on a MINI..........yet :D

14. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, it's definitely not that.

What I'm planing is a graphic to go on the front panel just below the side indicator. Maybe I should give a small peek at what I'm doing.

15. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Yeah! Give us a teaser... :D

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Teaser please....

and if it's a Nabeshin original drawing, so much the better.

17. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, a graphic that's new for MINIs but has been used elsewhere, the ideas that pop into my head are scary:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. farkus

farkus Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
  19. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It is something classier than those. This is something I haven't seen on any car. It is not one of my drawings; I was having reservations about the copyright issue.

20. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    So nabeshin, I didn't notice any MINI pic's from the dragon with fender art work. Did you have your unveiling and are you going to post pictures?:popcorn: