Bypass valve DELETE!!

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Thumper460, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    ...gonna try it. I will first try it wired closed, drive it a bit and see what happens. ( neg type.. codes/ power/ fuel mpg)

Then I will remove it.. plug the hole, epoxy, and then blend it all to smooth ( about 100 grit)

HMMmm...

Just me...........................................

Thumper

2. Onasled Racing

Onasled Racing New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Mike, I run the race car without it. Just make a plate to block it off. I'll make ya one if you want. I don't think I'd want to use epoxie as it softens with heat.

3. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    you might want to data log it so everyone can see what really is going on........ you might be surprised

4. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This is going back a bit...

but Ryan did this with a wire tie called the Ryephix-I in chasing down early engine yo-yo. What you will find is no codes, a bit of a drop in gas mileage, and a bit snappier throttle response. Since it was just a wire tie closing of the BPV, I don't know how the smoother surface affectes peak airflow....

Matt

5. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Greg.. expoxy for porting intakes works pretty good... I'll check the temp and see.. thanks

Matt.. I am going to tie it off for a while to see what happens... then IF it isnt what I like, I guess I can remove the tie..yes??

thanks guys

Thumper

6. gazkart

gazkart New Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Look forward to seeing the results Thumper :Thumbsup:

7. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    people for quite a few years have been locking them closed to see if it they have an issue...I think some folks have used Zip-Ties on a temp basis...I know my mechanic has done it for folks on track days if the valve suddenly fails to "salvage " the day for them if he is around...
    I seem to recall hearing the drawbacks were big enough that it was only a temporary test/fix, and not suitable for most cars for the medium or longer-term.
    I would love to see a DINO comparison, and a general around town comparison though!!

8. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    LOL time warp!

Make sure you keep track of the results. ;) I'm sure all prior ones have been lost. :)

9. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Now then...

Tuls, now that you can recognize these thread-warps-to-the-past, next thing you know you'll have some grey hair! Ack!

;)

Matt

10. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
  11. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    FWIW

A well set up valve has very little leakage, but there will be a smoother flow with a closed-up and smooth SC horn. So you might see something on a dyno...

The downside is only in gas mileage.

Matt

12. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    ... time warp?? LOL It was what I saw above and heard from a few guys on the Dragon.
    Just now getting around to seeing what it does and if I like it..

good job Lynn!

Just me...............................

Thumper

LOL Dyno?? not from me. I have to pay for those things like we all do, and I'm not wasting money for this!! LOL. SOP is all I am looking for on this mod.
    Tpr.

13. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Way back when...

early on in US New Mini times, a lot of the ECU versions from MINI had an instabillity called yo-yo. This is what got all the attention to the bypass valve. Ryan here was instrumental in doing the RyPhix-I (wire tie) and RyePhix-II (what became the DT-BPV). This was in 2002, I think.... That's why the references to the time warp.

Also, BP valves used to have much worse stop settings from the factory, so taking it off to set the stop screw could up peak boost by as much as 1 psi. Pretty good for just some time and effort.

I'm still running a modified BPV. I didn't like the effect of the stiffer spring, so when I was putting my diaphram back together, I stretched the stock spring a little bit. This moved the vacuum required open the valve a bit, and effectively shuts the valve at a slightly lower RPM range without the binary slam on/slam off nature of the much stiffer spring....

End of Mini Modding History Lesson for the day... ;)

Matt

14. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    the yo yo was never the bypass valve, it was a band aid for the poor mapping of the ecu by BMW......... the timing and fueling maps were the problem. There were people even saying it was the intake manifold, all were incorrect in their assumptions.

15. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Matt... Yes I am aware of all this, great post!!:Thumbsup:
    The word MPG ( ok words..:lol:) keep poping up.. is there any idea of the fuel mileage loss??
    I will record the around town / freeway drives and then modify and record again. If it is just a few MPG, then I am good!! Hell, my Mustang 11 MPG during the week and only 6 on sat nite!! LOL thanks

Just me.....................................

Thumper

16. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Depends on how you drive....

so you'll know soon enough! I never did the test myself. Those that did reported 1-2 MPG, but you never know, most of the reports were right after the change, and peoples driving hadn't adjusted to the new behaviour yet....

Matt

17. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0

LOL... yep.. know what THAT is!! LOL

Thumper

18. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Be nice to know the effects on the IATs....

19. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's small...

the only real time that there's a difference is at no load or low RPM. Really, at high RPM and load, the sucker should be closed anyway!

the reason that there's a BPV at all is to reduce load from the SC that is just wasted work. The SC gets to basically free-wheel because the pressure on both sides of the unit is about the same. If there were no quest for efficiency and max MPG then there would be no by-pass valves to begin with. Light load would just be done with the TB closing more, and there would be more vacuum on the TB side of the motor, the SC would pump what it could to bring the manifold to what pressure was needed for the RPM and load demanded of the system.

Mercedes does it a bit differently. They use a BPV, but also a clutched SC pulley. They actually stop the SC from running. Saves even more energy. But it's not about IATs. It's about fuel economy.

Matt

20. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    You'll see more than that: count on a 10% loss, all other things being equal.