Heads-up mount for Samsung Galaxy S

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Mike, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My little project this weekend was a mount for my Samsung Galaxy S whiz-bang phone/GPS/music player/thingy.

After looking at the slick, but expensive, mounting systems out there, I came up with a simple, lightweight solution: mold carbon fiber around the phone just-so, and the case will double as the retention device. Not as much fun for a mechanical engineer to design as a mechanical system, but very effective in this case. The mount with all fasteners has a mass of 17 grams. The fasteners alone weight 8 grams (maybe I should have used aluminum fasteners!)

Two plies of wet-layup over the phone (the phone was wrapped in plastic, of course), with a stud plate placed between the two plies, was all that was needed here. As usual, the hardest part was leaving the stuff alone while the resin cured!

Here are a few pictures of the final product:
    phonemount1.jpg

phonemount2.jpg

phonemount3.jpg

Not the cleanest work I've ever done, but not bad for a little craft table work on a Saturday afternoon.

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Mike...
    You are fast becoming a carbon fiber super hero. You sure have a talent there. I sure like the stuff you come up with. Very nice.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thats a very interesting mount there. What good android apps are there for the track at this point?

Thanks for sharing!

4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Very nice mount!!!

Nathan I've been using the Trackmaster app and with every update it gets better and better. Think its pretty dang good for what it is and how cheap it is... Also use the Bluetooth app for it so it can use the GPS in my Nuvi which is a bit better than the one in the phone. :)

5. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Trackmaster is what pushed me to do the mount, actually. The Bluetooth GPS option is awfully nice. I haven't any experience with Trackmaster though. Care to share some of your thoughts/plots/data/impressions?

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Nice job Mike :Thumbsup:

7. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Have only used it at my last HPDE and that was at VIR so I still have some learning to do with it. But basically you set up the tracks of choice, which gives you satellite images and some other points of each track. You use those images to set split markers (boaters might say way points) anywhere you want along with a full track time and speed. The split times and speeds are recorded and announced as you go around the track. Afterward you can review your sessions with it showing you moving around the satellite image. Your speed and times are shown along with a color coded overlay showing when you were either slowing down, accelerating or staying at a constant speed! These are stored so you can look at them over and over, You can also share them with others... Beware you may not have been doing exactly what you thought you were... lol. It does not show other cars so you have to discern yourself when there was traffic or not.

Just a quick overview, but I am finding it very helpful!;)

8. Kellen@Craven

Kellen@Craven New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Talking about Minis and stuff
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    That looks really cool!

9. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    If you can do video on your smart phone, you could conceivably video the session while running that app... Then you have video to review with the data...

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Ahh but the question is can that phone multi-task with the current Android O/S or will it take an update to Fro-Yo or Gingerbread to get that functionality. Then the question becomes can that device handle those new O/S's.

11. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'll have to try it. It's a good point that, while taking video, Trackmaster may stop taking data. And anyway, can this phone handle that much work at once?

Am I really talking about a phone? I think I'll accept the fact that personal device convergence has, for me, officially arrived.

12. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Ummm hadn't thought about trying to do a video on the phone while trackmaster is running. I can run the trackmaster on a set of road off a Google map I believe, if I have time tommorrow I'll give it a try and see what happens.... won't hurt to try and it would be sweet if it did.

Don't think you could view them on the phone at the same time if it does work but maybe with the share feature, both could be put on a computer and merged..

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Hmmmmm.......
    Went searching for an I-phone app. All I got was apps for jogging. Searched the web, all I got was stuff for tracking you horse. :mad:

14. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Trackmaster.trackaroo.com is the android app.

15. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, I knew that, was just hopeful there was a counterpart being offered for the iPhone operating system.

16. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Guess you could buy a horse...lol

17. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Got one......
    Can't figure out where to attach the quick-mount. :lol::lol::lol:

18. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    On the "pommel" of course. :D