Possible motor swap

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by drabdub, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    so the cvt went out on my other halves 02 r50. she decided she wants to do a motor and tranny swap if she has to replace the tranny anyway.

the ideas she has is the dodge neon srt4 motor and trans. or possibly an 07 and up s motor and trans.

just ideas now but it needs to get fixed so im looking for input on what you guys think. im leaning towards the srt4 just because it would be unique and in my mind insane. o and its what the mechanic wants to do.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'm not sure either of those would be doable. Well I guess anything is given enough time skill & money. I think I'd go with an R53 engine & tranny swap, might be easier than the ones you've mentioned.

3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    The R56 engine is backwards, so you're talking new intake and exhaust manifolds, etc. No idea about the SRT-4 engine.

Engine swaps used to be relatively easy, before OBD-II and modern electronics. Now you really don't know if everything will sync up until you've installed it and hooked up the battery. The packaging is difficult on FWD cars, too, because everything's crammed in there.

Why not an 05-06 R53 manual? You might be able to find a rollover car with the engine intact.

4. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I was more looking to go turbo over the supercharger was the only big reason. That is possible though. I just need to find a place to get a motor from

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I believe you can put a turbo on the Brazilian lump.

6. 1972Austin

1972Austin New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Yorktown, Va
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    If my memory serves right, the R53 and SRT4 motors are very similar. I hate to admit it but the Brazilian motor is from a Chrysler plant that built the SRT motor too. On a side note, WMW sells brand new R53 motors in stock and not so stock forms.

Shawn

7. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    that was where the whole srt4 idea came from. i dropped it off for an oil change and when i came to pick up the car the shop was looking up motor swaps. i think the srt4 would be cool because i havent seen it done before and i cant find anything on it being done either

8. 1972Austin

1972Austin New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Yorktown, Va
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It would certainly make tuning it easier and bolting it up would take a lot less guesswork. I didn't want to come right out and say we have a neon motor, but there it is!

Shawn

9. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    at least its not a pt motor?

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The R53 block was also used in European market PT Cruisers and Neons if I remember correctly.

I know some Neon parts work on the MINI, I had to get some internal head parts once and we used Neon race parts. I forget what the part was, sorry.

11. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nathan it sounds like we are going srt

12. Vollgas

Vollgas New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    The big thing in swapping motors is all the electronics have to be changed also.
    R53 motor will go into R50.
    The ECU, etc will also have to be changed.
    Major costs.
    R53 could be turboed but same issue with all the sensors, etc.
    R50 engine can not be turboed without complete reconstruction of block, crank, rods, pistons, etc.
    SRT-4 Neon would not fit.
    You would have to use Neon transmission.
    Would require the complete mod of front suspension, steering, and chassis.
    Neon electronics will not work in MINI.
    R53 Getrag transmission can be swapped into R50.
    Your best thing is to do a complete port job on R53 head, big valves, springs, NS-1 cam,
    Header & exhaust system, 267mm fuel injectors.
    This would be the cheapest method also.
    HP would be 140-165.

13. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    so in order to get power out of a r53 i would have to build it for power? looks to be a good couple thousand over the price of the motor.
    using the srt4 tranny wouldnt be an issue cause it can be modded to fit or the car could be modded.
    how will the srt not fit?
    we would relocate the battery and take away unneeded panels. which is half the fun of swapping motors

14. Vollgas

Vollgas New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    For 1 thing, the overall size of the motor.
    You are taking a 1600cc motor and trying to cram a 2400cc motor in its place.
    The MINI engine compartment is not all that large to begin with.
    The SRT is a longer & wider engine because of it's displacement.
    You need to check some things out before you get involved in a project that will never end.
    SRT is a different style and type of motor than the MINI Tritec.
    Parts are not interchangeable in any way, shape or form.
    Getrag transmissions do not bolt onto SRT's.
    Cooling systems are different.
    Electronics are different.
    Exhaust is different.
    It would cost you at least $6,000.00 mininmum for that type of conversion if it could be done.
    Several shops in England tried this when the MINI was first introduced.
    Not 1 of them every completed the project.
    You need to consider the engineering of such a project.
    To much HP on FWD cars do not handle very well in the turns.
    Yes it goes in a straight line.
    MINI is designed for cornering, not drag strips.
    Suggest you do some reading of automobile design & engineering.
    Not everything is possible.

15. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I have played with all of the Chrysler part. The MINI engine is related, and was designed by the same people, but there are differences. The Chrysler engines for this country were made as 2 and 2.4 engines. The bore is the same. The stroke is different. Both displacements were made as single and twin cam. The single cam head is similar to the MINI head. The biggest external difference is the larger cousins use a rubber belt to drive the cams. Both engines are much bigger than the MINI engine. The bore spacing is different and the engine is a lot longer. I do not know the how the single cam 2 L engine compares in height, but the 2.4 L engine is much taller. If you try to put that engine in a first generation Neon on the stock motor mounts you have to put a hole in the hood. The block is taller, and the twin cam head is taller than the single cam head. The 2.4 L engine was really designed as a high torque engine for mini vans. The second generation Neon could accommodate the 2.4 and the turbo PT Cruiser was already planned. Chrysler let SRT (I had a friend working for SRT at the time) build the SRT-4 if they did not use too many different parts. The engines are basically the same between the SRT-4 and the Cruiser. The difference is the intercooler and intake manifold. The transmissions are different. The Cruiser uses a Getrag, and the Neon uses a Chrysler. The Chrysler trans. Is a much improved version of transmission in the R50

16. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    So I should use the cruiser motor with the getreg? I know it has less power but it does look like it would fit better. I could always build the cruiser motor once it's in.

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Read post #14.
    It really isn't worth it unless you have a lot of time and money to invest with no thought of ever getting any of it back.

18. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    If you want to engine swap you need to start w/ a budget and work from there. Any sort of engine swap, whether "IMPOSSIBLE" or not, it will cost money.

If you differ from something 'made' by MINI, you will run into HUGE amount of headaches concerning integration of the electronics. (Speedo, tach, etc.)

Other motors to dream of cramming in there: k20, and GM ECOTec turbo (capable of 500hp pretty easy).

19. drabdub

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    i know that no matter what is done money wont be returned if the car gets sold. im very familiar with that as im building another car with a lot of mods. im just looking into the swaps as an option cause i like being different and against the grain. we are probably looking to spend 2500 on motor and trans, my buddy said 1500 for fab work, and 2000 for install at most. he is also willing to work out a deal if i help with some of the stuff.

20. 1972Austin

1972Austin New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Yorktown, Va
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Also ZCars of England do a Honda VTEC kit, http://www.zcars.org.uk. Email Chris if you're interested in checking that out.

Shawn