TSW Engine Mount Prototype

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by Nathan, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Spent the afternoon at TSW World Headquarters having the latest version of the R53 Engine Mount installed. I'm a beta tester. Why me? I live about 5 miles from TSW World HQ, I have an R53, I beat the crap out of the car and I'm not afraid to tell them whats wrong with product. I also tested the first version, and that one had some flaws, hence a revision.

The mount...

[​IMG]

Installed, engine carrier not yet installed.

[​IMG]

With carrier in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Initial impressions:

NVH much lower than previous version. The other one I tested sent a vibration low frequency vibration through the entire car. It was great if you wanted a massage while driving but became annoying quickly. This version is very OEM like.

The sharp eyed among you will notice there is no longer a TSW Engine Damper on the car. Static testing showed the movement without the damper in place was about the same as the OEM with a damper in place. I also have a urethane lower mount for those of you keeping score at home, so when the damper was in place there was very little movement.

Sharp throttle tip in is handled fine, no lag from engine movement. Crusing at all rpm levels reveals no extraneous vibrations. That was tested by holding a steady speed at a variety of RPM levels from 3000 - 7500.

This weekend I'm headed to a track for a few short sessions to make sure the unit can handle some abuse from heat and my ham footed throttle use.

Note: Monster sized version of these images can be found in my Members Gallery.

2. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    urethane ice cream cones?

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Nate, can't wait to hear how it goes on the track. I've asked Jeff to hold one of these for me from the first batch if all goes well with you this weekend--I blew my hydraulic engine mount monday on the track. Only 15,000 miles, and it's leaking like a seive...

4. UKCoopeR

UKCoopeR Active Member

May 21, 2009
    VA,USA and UK
    Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    caught my interest too!

5. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's alive! ALIIIIIVE!!!!!!

[​IMG]

It has been one HECK of a long road getting this project through the pipeline. However, it is going to be SO, SO WORTH IT!!!

Nathan is about to put the screws to this engine mount on the track with his monster MINI. If he comes back with a thumbs-up, we'll place the order for the first production run and get these things in stock!

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #6 Nitrominis, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That comment was from me. The difference being yours Lynn is an early, 02-04, mount when MINI had multiple mounting points on the shock tower. On the later, 05-06, mounts MINI changed the entire assembly and used a single location on the shock tower. There could be other changes as well when MINI made the change in the mount assembly, hence my coment about the single point in your design. The application is different. But ya know, this thead is not about you, don't turn it into an "I did that years ago and no one believed me" thread again.

8. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Is this new mount not suitable/useful for an 02-04 then? Thanks.

9. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes that is correct. The new mount won't work on an 02-04 unless the engine mount bracket (the big aluminum casting) is exchanged for the later type.

10. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Black Forest, apparently.

The engine mount is cast as a single piece, just to make that clear to everyone. It is not an assembly of rubber cones.

11. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Thanks.

Just curious, what's the rational fo the double cone shape? Why not a sphere, or a cylinder?

12. Doggybags

Doggybags New Member

May 9, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have read of several shops trying to get an aftermarket replacement out on the market for the '05 and later hydraulic motor mounts. The first one that can get a good product to the market will do VERY well I'm sure. I'm rooting for you guys, this one looks good and I hope it stands up to Nate's abuse.

13. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, DrMike: Where does the line form? Over on that other forum, I put my placeholder down some many months ago. But there must be some advantage being over here on Motoring Alliance eh?
    Having just bought and installed a VIP engine stabilizer, I'd love to just rip it out and sell it on eBay for 20 cents on the dollar... But you know me, that's the story of my life!

Kudos on a good looking part, and I don't really care if it works or not...haha

14. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #14 Nitrominis, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

15. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    For this application, the double-cone shape is very mass efficient. A sphere is very much not, and a cylinder is also less efficient. Mass efficiency means the material is more uniformly-stressed while still being structurally stable, and therefore weighs less. It also means that the part uses less urethane rubber, which keeps the price down.

There may be a more fancy shape that is even more efficient, but the difference is likely to be very small.

16. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Ah, it made sense as I was reading your response and recalled images like this ...

[​IMG]

...where the strain emanates from the "joints" (contact points) in a more-or-less cone-shape (in 3D). Yes, I see now that a sphere or cylinder would have mass that would not be taking up any stress and would therefore just be excess weight. (Is that right?) Thanks!

17. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nice picture! I think that is Hertzian contact strain (from the same-named stress) in the picture. The stress in the urethane part is different, but yes, you've got it. The part shape cuts out mass that would not be supporting the load.

18. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Huh? Those pictures are all well and good, but...
    where's the list? I remember a list for the TSW X-Brace, and I was on it. I wanna be on this new list...

19. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

:Thumbsup:

20. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing