Exterior 2nd Gen Filler neck/gas cap insert piece, paint peeling for the 8th time now?!

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Systemlord, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I have been having this paint peeling issue around the gas cap filler neck/gas cap insert piece since late 2013, Caliber Collision has had to re-paint the area around the filler neck/gas cap insert piece for the 10th time now! Caliber Collision has taken the entire panel down to metal to start completely fresh, they understand that when paint thickness reaches a certain point it's time to go back to bare metal.

This peeling issue didn't start until after the shop painted it, it only took 2-3 weeks to start noticeably peeling. My insurance company AAA had an adjuster come out and have a look at it. There was never any body damage to this quarter panel, just a big rock chip that removed the paint enough to show through to the factory primer no where near the effected area.

The shop doesn't want to deal with it any longer and told me that my lifetime warranty is void in regards to this quarter panel do to the ongoing peeling issues because they believe it to be a manufacture issue or defect with regards the the insert plastic piece. Now this peeling issue has happened with my original insert piece only after the shop painted it and never before and with two new genuine Mini brand parts/inserts. The clear coat that the shop must be using has to be the issue, right?

One thing that's certain is these inserts now after the paint job fit way to tight up against the paint around the edge and the areas where the paint is peeling is where the plastic insert is physically pressing against the paint. It wasn't tight like this before I took it to be painted by this shop, the shop was fully aware of this a did everything possible to keep the insert piece off the newly painted surface, even waiting two months to install the insert and even sanding the edges of the insert piece to create a larger gap between the paint and the insert. I didn't start peeling until right after the insert was installed, what's going on here and has anyone heard of this issue before? Thanks for any suggestions and help as to why this is happening!
    20150919_112212_zpstlslehrv.jpg 20150919_112240_zpsvyngkjcl.jpg 20150919_112245_zpsoyicsmoi.jpg

2. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    You're in a very delicate spot. Your insurance company is responsible for the 'cost' of repair but they are not responsible for the quality of repair UNLESS you took the car to that particular body shop at their request or recommendation. If they sent you there I would look to them to have someone else repair it that knows what they're doing. If you went to that shop because you wanted to it's pretty much all on you. If the shop isn't willing to do any more (it would probably fail again any how) your only option would be to get an estimate from a reputable shop and take shop number one to small claims court.

3. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    AAA told me to go their preferred shop so I did, they sent me a list of shops in my area. AAA also wanted to cut me a check after getting an estimate at any place of my choice, I said do you take me for a fool?! AAA sent me a few BMW preferred shops but I still want to understand what the heck is going on with the peeling paint.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Interesting that they think they can void a lifetime warranty just because they believe something is defective....

Soooo, they think the plastic part is defective.... The same plastic part that doesn't have the paint peeling....

They are in the business of painting car's aren't they?

5. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    Going to a shop that AAA recommended makes them partially responsible for the lousy repair job you received. Tell them what has happened up till now and that you want them to have another shop repair the car properly as shop number one isn't capable. Tell them a friend told you to do this and your friend worked automobile insurance claims for 25 years with State Farm and USAA.

6. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I think that the 'prep' work on the first paint job was faulty and the additional paint was applied without correcting the initial problem. I don't think the shop ever took the paint down to bare metal and the cause has never been dealt with properly.

A definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Ten times with the same result??? Cut your losses in dealing with that shop and find a new shop--the original shop won't fix the problem.

7. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    This is more than likely the problem right here. If the bare metal is mechanically cleaned and then chemically cleaned the adhesion of paint should not be a problem.

8. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Get some touch-up paint and step back a couple feet. You'll never see it.

9. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Is there some sort of adjustment with the filler neck insert piece (holds the fill tube) to keep the painted insert piece further from the painted surface in order to keep it off the paint?

10. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    FWIW, I seem to be having the same issue with my GP.

Pretty sure the panel's been painted on my car too, possibly at the port before it was ever delivered.

11. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    The shop want to void the warranty because of it's the manufacturers fault after they took it down to bare metal and repainted it? Once it's down to the metal the manufacturer's paint job it's a question anymore.

12. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #12 Systemlord, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    The shop was saying it was a clearance issue with regards the the plastic painted insert piece, funny how it never peeled before they painted it. My insurance went way over the managers head. My insurance is claiming that the factory paint job is super thin and we/I believe the shops paint job is to thick which is why it keeps coming into contact with the insert piece. Makes perfect sense though and I have an appointment next Wednesday to have a new shop determine what the next step is, we are going to request that when the new shop repaints it that they keep in mind the thickness of the base coat and the clear coat.

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    When something doesn't work out.... It's always because of the "other" guy...

14. 09PepperWhite

09PepperWhite Active Member

May 3, 2015
    Donation funds allocator non profit organizations
    United States of America & Texas is a Great State
    Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    The same thing "just" happening to my NEW paint job.:frown2: The shop said that they should have removed the insert and painted it separately. I got an apology and a bring it by we will make it right for you response. The shop that painted my MINI is going to get a fresh new part and they will be airbrushing the paint to blend it in so it will not show having been painted separately and repainted.:ihih:

PA090694_resize_zpshdjeq21z.jpg PA090695_resize_zpsm8xsjcuz.jpg PA090696_resize_zpsjmhtc8zg.jpg PA090697_resize_zpsgfdx7hfu.jpg PA090698_resize_zpslwc5wro7.jpg

15. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    Oh wow. Heads would've rolled had a bodyshop done that to my car.

16. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Caliber Collision is a favored shop for insurance companies. That, to me, is a red flag. That tells me that they work for the insurance companies, not the car owner. And, for the average car owner, I'm sure they they do a more than satisfactory job.

My last accident, rear-ended by an uninsured non-citizen, Allstate recommended Caliber Collision, and offered the "lifetime guarantee" if I used them. I declined, and went with a shop that was well known for doing great work on German cars (I had an Audi at the time).

Shops like Caliber Collision are fine for most car owners, but picky people like me, and apparently you, need to choose shops carefully.

CD

17. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    You're going to have major problems with that new plastic painted insert, it doesnt fit like the true factory part! In fact that unpainted insert isn't molded by the same company that made the originals, just like the N14 valve covers were manufactured by a third party as in not the same company that made the original part. That new part is going to fit so damn tight their going to have to sand the edges down in order to create a gap, the new part will destroy you paint job on that panel! No, you'll see. You want to sell me your original plastic insert piece? I'll buy it, PM me.