Pauliekeys' Boo - Cooper Flags MINI of the Month - July 2009

Discussion in 'Featured MINI' started by Nathan, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

1. Please tell us about your MINI when it was delivered. Option Packages along with the Year, Model and Color.

Boo is a Pepper white/black 05 MCS. The order was placed in March of 05 and I took delivery two month later.

Option packages: Premium, Sports, cold weather, LSD, Tartan red cloth/black leather seats, rear fog, HK sound.

[imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/528/medium/MOTM_July_09_09.jpg[/imgR]
    2. Why did you choose a MINI?

While servicing my wife's BMW 330I, I spotted a used 03 MCS on the lot and while waiting for the work on her car to be completed. I was spotted by a salesman eye balling a used 03 MCS. I was asked if I wanted to take it for a test drive while I was waiting. My reply was of course â€Hell yeahâ€. At the time, my weekend warrior was an 1986 Toyota MR2 that I had bought new in Texas. The MR2 was a great handling car and just a blast to drive but, It lacked power ! I noticed right off the bat with the Mini that it had a lot more get up and go than the MR2 and it handled great, I fell in love with the Mini right then and there! I began doing research on a 05 MCS and then began the process of talking my wife into the idea of me buying one. After a solid month of trying to convincing her that I had to have one, she gave in and I placed the order for Boo. Two months later, Boo arrived and the fun began!

Within the first month of ownership, the mods began with a set of H-sport lowering springs and within a year, I was replacing the Stock S lites with a set of 18 inch Enkei J10’s. As my desire for better handling increased, I decided to buy a second set of wheels and tires for the twisty's and after a great deal of research, I went with a 16 inch wheel set up! I started with a set of 16x7 Rota Slipstreams but after a couple years, moved on to a set of “Konig Feathersâ€. I now run the Enkei’s as daily drivers and the Feathers are used for weekend romps in the canyons ! The last three years I've tackled various engine and suspension mods trying to create a good balance of power and handling. Along the way, Boo’s outside appearance has gone through a dramatic metamorphosis as well. Along with a complete black out (with the exception of the headlights) The rear hatch has been shaved and the rear wiper assembly removed. Along the way, I replaced the black mirror caps with Pepper white caps and added a factory aero kit. The most recent phase of mods has been under the hood with the addition of a “Newman†cam, 550cc injectors, Mynes straight header and then all tied together with a ECU tune by Hubie Fuh. I’ve also made a few of my own mods such as a custom front plate mount and most recently a custom rear seat delete!

[imgL]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/528/medium/MOTM_July_09_06.jpg[/imgL]

4. What has been your modification philosophy?

My process of modding the car didn’t focus in just one area, I was attacking both the handling and power mods at the same time! Like most, I’ve had a great deal of trial and error learning the hard (expensive) way about what mods work best and what mods do not!

5. What has been the most difficult mod completed to date? Why?

The most difficult mod was getting the suspension right. I had gone through two types of progressive lowering springs (H-sport/M7) at the beginning before moving on to a coilover suspension. I first bought a set of Megan coilovers but found they didn’t work with my car. I'm now running on a set of JIC Cross coilovers and feel I have finally found the right balance of performance and ascetics!

6. Where do you research and source your modifications; materials, parts, etc?

Most of my research has come from scouring the forums on the internet. I’ve also gained a fair amount of knowledge from my local Mini club (West Coast Mini’s). There are a several of my club members that have a vast amount of knowledge working with the Mini and have been very gracious with sharing their knowledge with me.

7. Have other Motoring Alliance members assisted you?[imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/528/MOTM_July_09_07.jpg[/imgR]

There are several Motoring Alliance members that I’ve known from other forums that have given me good advice over the last few years!

9. What are you planning next? What remains to be done? What are your goals?

My last big mod will be brakes. Aftermarket brakes (as most I’m sure will agree), should have been one of the first mods I tackled but, I’ve been very happy with the stock braking power with the addition of a set of Axis Platinum organic brake pads.

10. Please list all current mods.

Engine/drivetrain:

17% pulley
    Newman Cam
    Mynes straight header
    Milltek cat back exhaust
    550cc injectors [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/528/medium/MOTM_July_09_05.jpg[/imgR]
    Dinan CAI/ITG filter
    Alta intercooler air diverter
    M7 catch can
    TSW engine damper

Suspension:

JIC Cross coilovers
    Power Grid end links, front and rear
    H-sport 25 mm hollow rear sway bar
    H-sport lower rear control arms
    M7 strut bar

Interior/exterior:

Craven speed short shifter
    JCW leather steering wheel
    JCW Alcantara shift and ebrake boots
    Whalen Shift knob
    Mini Speed knee pad [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/528/medium/MOTM_July_09_04.jpg[/imgR]
    Euro parcel tray
    Valentine One radar detector with remote
    Custom Rear seat delete
    Cobalt rear cross brace
    Factory painted Areo kit
    Lagston ruby red tail lights, vinyl door handles, head light rings
    Blacked out belt line
    Blacked out side repeaters and front and rear emblems
    Shaved rear hatch and rear wiper delete
    Halo turn signals

Wheels and tires:

18 inch Matte black Enkei J10's with 215/35/18 Pirelli P ZeroNero's
    16 inch flat black Konig Feathers mounted on 205/50/16 Nitto Neo Gens

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Congrats Paulie,

Your car deserved to win... beautifully done.

Mark

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Congrats Paulie!

4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    So pleased to have the '05 PW/B represented in such glorious fashion on MA. :cornut:

Way to go PK!

5. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great car, Paulie! My preference is for the "spare" look (not liking stipes and decals and bling at all). And your Boo is a great example of that look. When are you going to Joey mod your Xenons? I know of a howto...

Congrats!:Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

6. minispeedrcr

minispeedrcr New Member

May 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks great. Love the look of the pepper white and black.
    Congrats.
    vince

7. pauliekeys

pauliekeys MINI of the Month July 2009

Jun 3, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the kind words everybody,

It's a real honor to join the ranks of both DrPhil's "LETHIUM" and AGranger's "Jango" as Mini of the month! Every car that was entered was equally worthy of the tittle and I was happy just being included with the other members of Motoring Alliance!

Pauliekeys

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Very nice and well deserved, congrats

9. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Beautifully done car. PW really looks great with black accents.

10. oxtox

oxtox New Member

May 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice ride dog! congrats:cornut:

11. TT_Zop

TT_Zop Club Coordinator

May 26, 2009
    Machinist
    Flint,TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Congrats Paulie, that is one sharp Mini :Thumbsup:

12. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    A good win, very clean and tastefully done.

Congratulations. :)

Don

13. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: congrats and cool seeing you at the Big SoCal Euro GTG

14. Kellen@Craven

Kellen@Craven New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Talking about Minis and stuff
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Great car all around, congrats!

15. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Go Pepper Whites! :cornut:

Great lookin' MINI.
    Congrats! :Thumbsup:

16. 03Indigo

03Indigo New Member

May 22, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Congrats Paulie...well deserved.

17. Lilredscoot

Lilredscoot New Member

May 12, 2009
    Jackson MS.
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    NICE!!!! Paulie..Sweet lookin MINI:D

18. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hey Paulie, I had meant to send congrats sooner...Congrats buddy!!! Very well deserved!