Graham's Track-Toy - Cooper Flags MINI of the Month - August 2009

Discussion in 'Featured MINI' started by Nathan, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

1. Please tell us about your MINI when it was delivered. Option Packages along with the Year, Model and Color.

I walked into John Roberts (now MINI of Dallas) at the end of October ’02 where they found a car on the boat that I liked. My 2003 MINI Cooper S was delivered to me on November 18th 2002.
    [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/533/medium/motd09.jpg[/imgR]
    Specs:
    Chili Red/white roof
    Cold Weather Package
    Sport Package
    Auto A/C
    Multi-function wheel

2. Why did you choose a MINI?

I had seen all the clamor in the motoring press and just had to get one.

3. Please tell us about the various phases your MINI has taken as your mods progressed.

Phase one (initial airflow improvements and handling)
    Cold air intake
    Sport exhaust
    Rear Sway bar
    Lowering springs
    [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/533/medium/Track_toy_Pics_001_sized.jpg[/imgR]
    Phase two (boost)
    15% reduction pulley
    ECU tuning

Phase 3 (Combustion improvements)
    Ported polished head and intake manifold
    Header
    High lift camshaft
    Larger throttle body
    More ECU tuning

Phase 4 (improvements for the track)
    Big brake Kit
    Brake ducts
    Coil-overs
    Race exhaust system
    Harness bar with 6-point harnesses
    Front and rear stress systems
    7.5 x 17 wheels with slicks
    [IMGR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/533/brakes.jpg[/IMGR]
    Phase 5 (aero improvements)
    JCW front aero kit
    JCW Wing
    Rear Diffuser
    Multi-element front splitter (in development)

4. What has been your modification philosophy?

After the initial improvements to the air-flow into and out of the engine, I have tried to base modifications geared to needs as I saw them at the track. Tweaking the handling with coil-overs gained me a couple of seconds a lap for example. Being able to delay braking with the big brake kit was worth another couple of seconds. Now I’m working on the aero package. More downforce in the rear, for example.

5. What has been the most difficult mod completed to date? Why?

I had tremendous problems with the exhaust system. I had 2 catalytic converters blow out as well as flex joint failures. Eventually after stabilizing the motor mounts and moving to a custom-made 3†piped system did things improve. Even then, a manufacturing error caused a failure in the collector, which was fixable.

6. Where do you research and source your modifications; materials, parts, etc?

Well I am always on the forums where I can do searches. Then at events such as The Dragon where I found the rear stress kit for example.

7. Have other Motoring Alliance members assisted you? If so, give them a shout out.

Yes, Leon Dixon has been very helpful in bouncing ideas around especially in the creation of my new rear diffuser.

9. What are you planning next? What remains to be done? What are your goals?
    [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/533/medium/ducts.jpg[/imgR]
    To further improve the aero package with the multi-element front splitter and rear diffuser, I am planning a full belly pan. This pan will integrate with the rear diffuser to create maximum ejection of air through the diffuser to create downforce. I’m also looking into small front canards to direct air smoothly around the mirrors. I’m convinced these large mirrors act like air brakes.

10. Please list all current mods.

Alta cold air intake with massive Amsoil microfiber filter
    CHR big valve head with dual valve springs and titanium retainers
    Stahl 42†header and custom exhaust system
    TSW engine brace
    Madness big bore throttle body
    MTH version 2 software
    TSW track suspension with KW coil overs
    TSW 4-piston caliper Big Brake Kit
    Way Motorworks brake ducts
    Hardbar harness bar/TeamTech 6-point harnesses [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/533/medium/belts.jpg[/imgR]
    Forge aluminum coolant reservoir
    Madness 15% pulley/JCW belt
    JCW Supercharger
    Schrick cam
    Black Rota Bs with Hankook slicks
    JCW front aerokit
    JCW carbon fiber wing
    Modified Lotus Elise rear diffuser
    Quaife LSD
    Oil Cooler
    [​IMG]

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Great looking car !

A couple of questions about the mods........
    You list a 6-point harness but I see a pic with stock seats. How did you get the harness to work with the stock seats?

I also noticed that you have the newer hydraulic engine mount. Was that changed at some time?

And lastly......what oil cooler parts are you running? I like the location.

Again, congrats !

3. sgsuperman105

sgsuperman105 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Congrats. I pretty much knew as soon as I saw your car on the list, I had no chance. Congrats again.

4. track-toy

track-toy MINI of the Month

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, two points are on the harness bar, 2 points are for the subs under the rear of the seat tracks, one is on the stock rail on the outer side on the floor, and the last one is on the inboard side of the seat itself where the stock receptical goes. I figured if I used mostly stock locations I would be good.

The oil cooler is actually a stock CVT tranny cooler converted by MINI-Madness. I also have the converter that goes where the stock oil cooler goes, also by MM.

5. roach13

roach13 New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Your using stock seats with a 6 point harness?

6. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Well done :Thumbsup:. I love seeing a daily that can tear up the track. I see you are using an MTH tune. Have you considered getting one of the available custom dyno tunes? I think that you would be pleased with the difference it would make on the track.

7. track-toy

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's a daily driver and I switch from the stock seat belt to the 6-points for the track. I like the fact that on the street I still have 6 air bags! Don't forget I have to deal with regular traffic on a daily basis.

8. track-toy

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking about a custom tune with Way Motorworks. I'd have to drive to Atlanta though from Pittsburgh. The Revolution guy doesn't come up here as far as I know.

9. track-toy

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry missed the engine mount question. After all the HP increases (bigger valves, high lift cam, etc) I started to feel some twist up front with all the torque. I then figured out that MINI had tried to fix this in '05 with the hydraulic mount. But I've broken two of these also. The TSW V2 damper has worked well to settle everything down up front so I am pleased with that product.

Graham

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I have to voice my concern and surprise at the 6-point belt use also. Are you saying you are sitting on the anti-submarine belts or that they are going all the way to the front of the seat and then going back under the seat.

You really need to ditch that belt for the Schroth quick-fit. It would be a much safer installation with the stock seats.

11. roach13

roach13 New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not a safe set up for the track at all.

12. track-toy

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I sold my Schroths 4 years ago because of the dangerous down angle to the rear receptacles. Instead I have the shoulder height harness bar. Also, I am sitting on the sub straps that pass through the rear of the seat cushion. You can't "push" straps so that's the only way to go.

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Only if your shoulders are quite a bit above the seatbacks is this a problem. The design of the Schroth belts incorporates both the pretensioners of the OEM system and an anti-submarine feature. Neither of which your current belts have. If I understand you correctly, you have your current anti-sub belts going between your legs, under your butt, and then out between the seat and the seat back to the floor? This will definitely not be the set-up I would want to test out........:eek:

14. track-toy

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget that most of the load is taken by the lap belts across the hips, the anti-sub belts don't carry much load. When I was using the Schroth system, I had a big outcry from the track world about how potentially dangerous they were. I went to a lot of expense to get the harness bar designed and it has a 250g load rating and mounts right into the stock B pillar seat belt location. It also retains the stock seat belts for everyday use.

The TeamTech harnesses are state of the art for track use and are wider-webbed than the Schroths and have more attach points. To me the Schroths were too entry level and a bit Mickey Mouse. Nobody in the track world I'm in uses them.

Anyway I will soon migrate to race seats and a cage so maybe this is all moot.

15. roach13

roach13 New Member

May 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You have a Hans for the track when your wearing the 6 point? How do you hold the shoulder belts in place?

16. pauliekeys

pauliekeys MINI of the Month July 2009

Jun 3, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The car looks great, well done and congratulations !

17. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    CONGRATS Graham :D. I have the privilege of knowing you and "Track Toy" and you deserve the award :cornut:.

18. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great car and a very nice addition to the monthly car list!

btw, where do you get the Amsoil filter for the Alta, I'd like to look into one for my car.

:Thumbsup:

19. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    #19 DixonL2, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
    Congratulations Track-Toy! A deserving Mini of the month, and a gentleman to boot.

For those questioning the belts at all, you'd have to see the car and how the driver fits in it before passing such harsh judgement. They're definitely safer on the track than street belts (hold him in place, minimal risk of spinal compression), but maybe a couple points less safe than a full caged/belted setup, which would hav esome serious limitations on the street. They're well thought out. I'm normally not a fan of the harness bar setup unless it's properly fitted and maintained - which Track-Toy's is. 'Nuf said there.

My favorite part is the overall "of one piece" engineering in the car, the custom pieces, and how well it's meant to work as a total system. While this takes NOTHING away from those of us with "mere" bolt-ons, it's that "one step beyond" that sets Track-Toy apart. Well, that, and watching Track-Toy embarrass a lot of more expensive iron out on the track as a HPDE instructor with Yoda-like skills.

OK, enough, before his head swells so much he needs a bigger helmet. Congratulations Graham!

20. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I think our concern about the belts has to do with the safety of the installation and location of the anti-sub belts at the legs.

They still can't be as good as the SCHROTH system tho. And with no risk of spinal injury, or no more than his current system.