Maleficent's redruM -Cooper Flags MINI of the Month - September 2009

Discussion in 'Featured MINI' started by Nathan, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #1 Nathan, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
    [​IMG]

1. Please tell us about your MINI when it was delivered. Option Packages along with the Year, Model and Color.
    [imgl]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/542/medium/6_mini_40.jpg[/imgl]
    My MINI was my Christmas present on December 26th, 2005. It was a lonely 2002 Chili Red MCS that had been shuffled from car lot to car lot. We bought it from a Power Volvo dealer in Cerritos, California, with only 18k miles on the odometer. It was a clean car with a clear title and great deal at only $19,000. I’m not sure what packages it came with when originally purchased but it had a 6-speed manual transmission with leather seats, sunroof, and rare AC Schnitzer Rims.

2. Why did you choose a MINI?

In 1993 I embarked on a three and one half year adventure that, in addition to all the experiences, opportunities and wonderful memories made, helped me fall in love with the Mini as a car and heavily influenced our decision to purchase a “new” MINI. I packed my bags, loaded up our two young sons and boarded a plane at LAX where we were headed to Germany to live with my husband who was stationed there with the Army. I remember seeing a “classic” Mini on the way to my new home from Frankfurt Airport and thought it was the coolest car I had ever seen.

When I first got to Germany the family car was a 1985 7 series BMW. It was a great car but a boat to drive and gas hog. I remember many days driving to the Kasern, or Military Post, to pick up my husband from work and just watching the gas gauge drop from full toward empty at an alarming rate. It was getting expensive to drive this “boat” and besides I wanted one of those little Mini cars. Almost every day we would see a Mini running around town and I remember thinking it was the car for us. Only a few months after getting settled into a new home and country, we were in luck! A fellow soldier and friend who was leaving Germany had a black one and needed to sell it. It was a 1986 998cc Mini and we bought it for $1200. We drove our Mini all over Germany. For the next two years it was our family car. With our two boys in their car seats in the back our Mini was the car for the job. From hauling groceries to touring the countryside, visiting local castles or racing down the autobahn it motored us wonderfully. Unfortunately after 3 and a half years we had to leave it behind to come back to the United States.

We moved to Ft. Lewis, Washington, found a small Mini car club and started the pursuit to own one there. We were shocked to find out that Minis in the USA were selling for close to $10,000, so we put our dream of owning a Mini on hold again. In 1999 we moved to Hesperia, CA, and in 2000 we heard that BMW had bought Rover. We thought this might be our opportunity to get a new MINI and started bugging BMW dealers about getting one. They didn’t know what we were talking about. Soon though BMW announced the release of a new MINI and we thought this was our chance! We were anxiously waiting for it to hit the show rooms and spent a lot of time on the MINI USA website “configurator” trying to decide how our new MINI would look. Finally, when they came to the States, we were there at the dealer waiting to drive and buy. I remember test driving an Electric Blue fully loaded Cooper S. I was in LOVE! It had all the things we loved about our classic Mini combined with BMW’s German ingenuity and styling. I had to have one! When we found out dealers in Southern California were charging $6,000 over invoice for an MCS, it went right out of my price range, so we walked away to once again bide our time. Finally in 2005 , we had the opportunity to purchase a MINI of our own. And the saga of RedRum began.

3. Please tell us about the various phases your MINI has taken as your mods progressed.
    [imgr]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/542/medium/6_mini_11.jpg[/imgr]
    My husband, Wes, does a lot of the research and makes suggestions, but I often remind him that it is “my car” so it is really what I like that goes on it. This was the first car that was truly mine and I wanted it to compliment my personality and my secret need for speed. I wanted it to be a hot car, hotter than it already was. My husband owns a 1.8T turbo Jetta, that he was modding and I wanted something to keep up with him. I didn’t want just another “cute little MINI.” I wanted a hot, fast, head turning car that matched my personality. Anyone who knows me knows I’m not your typical girl. I love horror movies and listen to punk rock, I’m a mom and Army wife with fire engine red and black hair and I’m not the least bit afraid to get dirty changing oil or putting on my race wheels. My Red MINI was just another extension of me. I got an intake right off the bat and soon ditched the run-flats for some good tires. Luckily for me, my husband really loved the MINI too and since we had both worked on his Jetta we really got into making my MINI go faster. We did the basics, intake, 15% pulley, Magnaflow catback exhaust, rear sway bar and a GIAC tune. I then added some stronger stopping power with drilled and slotted brake rotors, replaced the OEM brake lines for stainless steel lines, and moved up to ATE blue brake fluid. We upgraded the suspension with KONI FSDs and TSW springs and considered it done. I had a fast, solid and very fun to drive MINI. On Mother’s Day, my two boys got me a RedRum Euro-plate and the persona of RedRum stuck.

Soon though, I was craving more power and we had always thought it would be cool to have a 250whp MINI. Unfortunately we soon found out that it wasn’t very easy to achieve a 250 WHP car with basic bolt-ons, so we put that on hold and worked on the styling. I have really tried to work most of the “cuteness” out of it, going for an aggressive look. We changed out the wheels and added the OEM aero kit a new scoop the JCW wing, and a carbon fiber lip, as well as other things like blacking out the taillights and beltline and wrapping the headlight rings and door handles in black vinyl.

It was at our first AMVIV in 2007 that our friend Chris (Tuls) told us about the “Jesus Head.” After we got home, we contacted Jan at Revolution MINI Works, and shortly after the “real power” mods began. We had the RMW head put on and it really let the power loose. A few months later, Jan developed his now famous tune so we added new 440 cc injectors and had Jan tune the MINI and it was again transformed. Wow, I thought, now RedRum was even faster, but what really changed everything was when I went to my first HPDE at Streets of Willow. I was hooked! If I could afford to go to the track every weekend, I would. I was bitten by the “track” bug and I wanted more. Our modifications to the suspension began to lean heavily to the track. All the bushings are poly and the sway bars are upgraded. I have JIC Cross Competition coilovers and, for track days, 13lb Rota wheels with Hoosier “R” compound tires. Finally, we added Jan’s cam and exhaust and changed to a 17% pulley and a GP intercooler, and with an updated tune it has become “a very interesting monster.”
    [imgl]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/542/medium/6_mini_06.JPG[/imgl]
    Jan has provided the guidance and direction that has brought the car the power it has today and Danny at MINICORSA has done all of the heavy work to put that power on the car making it right now the highest horsepower MINI with stock supercharger and stock bottom end. I love RedRum and how it has become the beast I drive everyday!

4. What has been your modification philosophy?

We have always liked the German Euro-style and when we first got the MINI, we were big VW people. We had at one time three MKIV Jettas in the driveway and like VW, the MINI to us is also a German car. Although the Mini has a long British history, we feel that the new MINI is basically a new platform so we really just went for our own style with some of that German auto influence. We wanted a style that would fit my personality and it really kind of just continued to grow as the car evolved. Our mod philosophy is Power and “Uniqueness” without being gaudy, buy used when you can to cut costs, use the good OEM parts, and try to balance the track car with the daily driver. You could say we have become “mad modders” in our pursuit of a good blend; trying to find balance with RedRum being both a track car and my daily driver. [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/542/medium/6_mini_01.jpg[/imgR]

5. What has been the most difficult mod you have done and why? How much time did it take? What was involved?

Although easy to install, the GP Rear Interior was difficult because of its rarity, cost, and difficulty to obtain. We knew the first time we saw it on a GP that it was something that we wanted on the car. Lucky for us one became available locally and at a reasonable price and it really was worth the wait and cost. We still need to permanently mount the rear bar and that is looking to be difficult since it will need to be lined up perfectly with the panels.

6. Where do you research and source your modifications? Materials, parts, etc.

The internet is a huge resource for all that we have done to the car. We source our performance parts from Revolution MINI Works, our OEM parts through MINICORSA, and the classifieds have been a great source for just about anything else.

7. Have other members assisted you?

Big thanks to Melissa (Wickedgolf) for bringing us to our first car meet and making us feel welcome and to KellyGirl for being my Kelly-“Y”. Thanks to my “MININut” friends, you know who you are. Thanks toTuls and Stoopidgirl for having their style and letting Wes and I know we weren’t the only weird ones. Thanks to Jon (EveryTimeIDie027) for the great pics, Jan at RMW for the many hours of tuning and guidance, and Danny at MINCORSA for taking care of my REDRUM, being my track buddy, and adopting me into the family. I’d also like to thank anybody that has posted a DIY, put pics up, answered our questions, or just had an answer that was posted that helped us get the car where it is today. Of course the biggest thanks has to go to my husband Wes (Batrugger) for always being there and doing a lot of the “heavy lifting;” without his help and guidance RedRum wouldn’t be the car I love to drive every day!

9. What are you planning next? What remains to be done? What are your goals?

Right now I am in the process of tricking out the interior. I got the GP rear seat delete and the Anthracite conversion done and now I am working on a rear sub that will sit flush with the floor and have mounts for the rear speakers since I can't use them with the GP panels. I would like to get some seats that are better for the track that still have the OEM adjustability I’d like to get a roll cage that will be functional and not destroy the GP rear panels, but also be safe for the track. I want to be a better driver on the track and am always looking to bring my lap times down. I am doing well in a car shows (everybody loves MINIs), so I would like to get some sponsorships to help me pursue both the show and the go.[imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/542/medium/6_mini_35.jpg[/imgR]

10. Please list all current mods.

Exterior:
    JCW Wing
    04 Xenon Headlights with Black Trim Rings Smoked Taillights Smoked Side Repeaters Smoked Side Markers Smoked Reverse Light Angel Eye Front Signal Indicators Front Euro-Plate Tinted Windows VW MK5 Antenna Orciari Vent Scoops Bosch Icon Wipers Black Palo Uber MINI Hood Scoop Out Motoring Light Brackets
    2 Hella Black Magic Driving Lights
    Red Brake Calipers
    OEM Aero Kit w/Painted Black Trim
    M7 Carbon Fiber Front Splitter
    Rogue Mini Red Dragon Eyes
    Rear Wiper Delete
    Cooper Sidevents
    Debadged [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/542/medium/6_mini_34.jpg[/imgR]
    Blacked out the Beltline
    Black Widow Custom Roof Graphic
    Black Rear Hatch Handle
    Black Door Handles

Interior:
    JCW CF Dash
    JCW CF Shift Boot Ring w/ Alcantra Shift Boot JCW CF Front and Rear Cup Holder Rings JCW CF Parking Brake Handle w/ Alcantra Boot JCW Doorsills OEM Black Anthracite Headliner Conversion OEM Black Rubber S Front Floor Mats OEM Black Rubber Rear Floor Mats OEM Black Rubber S Boot Mat OEM Front Euro-Parcel Tray w/ Color Matched LED Lighting OEM Center Console Utility Box OEM Cup Holder OEM Glovebox Organizor OEM 05-06 Center Console OEM GP Rear Seat Delete OEM GP Rear Side Panels OEM GP Rear Luggage Bar OMP Pedals OMP Dead Pedal Way Motorworks Dead Pedal Riser Custom Whalen Pistol Grip Shift Knob Cockpit Specialties Black Gauge Faces Craven Gauge Pod STRI X-Line Boost and Oil Temp Gauges Innovate Motorsports XD 16 Gauge
    2 Spoke Sport Steering Wheel
    Schroth 4 Point Snap-in Harness [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/542/medium/6_mini_26.jpg[/imgR]

In-Car Entertainment:
    Pioneer DEH-P7700MP 50Wx4 Single CD Head Unit Pioneer CD-IB100-2 IPOD Interface Pioneer XM Satellite Receiver Pioneer Auxillary Input Alpine PDX-5 Digital Amp
    Front- Infinity Kappa 50.7 cs 6.25 in Component Speakers
    Rear- Infinity Kappa 693.7i 6x9 Speakers Kenwood 10" Subwoofer Dynamat on all Four Speakers

Under the Bonnet:
    Revolution MINI Works Dyno ECU Tune
    Revolution MINI Works Big Valve Head
    Revolution MINI Works Cam Shaft
    Revolution MINI Works Race Header
    Revolution MINI Works Exhaust
    OEM GP Intercooler
    440cc Injectors
    K&N Typhoon Intake [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/542/medium/6_mini_23.jpg[/imgR]
    17% Reduction Super Charger Pulley
    Quaife Limited Slip Differential
    Clutchmaster Lightened Aluminum Flywheel Clutchmaster Stage 4 FX400 Kevlar Clutch Brisk Silver Racing Plugs DR12YS B&M Short Shifter
    M7 Air plate Diverter
    Detroit Tuned Bypass Valve
    Detroit Tuned Pulley Tensioner Keeper
    Texas Speed Works Engine Damper
    Powerflex Lower Engine Mount Poly Bushings Powerflex Upper Engine Mount Poly Bushings Powerflex Transmission Mount Poly Bushings Canton Aluminium Coolant Expansion Tank w/ Stant High Pressure Cap Craven Red Oil Dip Stick

Suspension:
    JIC Cross Competition Coil Overs w/ Swift Springs Alta 22mm Rear Sway Bar Eibach 26mm Front Sway bar Powerflex Front Lower Control Arm Bushings Powerflex Steering Rack Bushing Powerflex Rear Trailing Arm Bushings Helix Adjustable Lower Control Arms OMP Front Lower Bar Black Craven Strut Tower Defenders
    R56 Under-body Panels

Braking:
    Red R56 Front Brake Calipers
    R56 Front Rotors
    ATE Blue Fluid
    Stainless Steel brake Lines
    dba Rear Drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Mintek Red Rear Brake Pads
    Rear Tyrol Sport Solid Brass Brake Caliper Bushings Wheels and Tires:
    Street- Konig Remember 7X16in Black Alloy Wheels w/ Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R 205/45R16 Tires
    Track- Rota Slipstream 13lb 16X6.5 Wheels w\ Hoosier R6 205/45ZR16 Tires

Many more images can be found in September 2009 - Motoring Alliance Gallery

2. Maleficent

Maleficent MINI of the Month September 2009

Jul 15, 2009
    High School Assistant Counselor
    Hesperia, Ca
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    W00t! That me and redruM!!!! Thanks to everyone who voted for us! I am so jazzed! This totally made my day! :devil::smile5::smilewinkgrin::Thumbsup::yesnod:;)

3. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Congratulations!

4. kelly girl

kelly girl New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    has nothing to do with my MINI :( -- but at least
    in a nuclear fallout bunker, complete with bottle
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    werd!

congrats miss lovelyness

5. Tick

Tick New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Great car, wonderful story! Congrats

6. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:You Rock :cornut:

7. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Very nice, I love this car and your wheels. :yesnod:

8. sketch

sketch New Member

May 24, 2009
    Luxury Motors internet rookie
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Congrats! Well deserved.

9. Aquasar

Aquasar New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sweet ride..

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget to get your nominations in for the October MINI of the Month and you too can be featured on the front page for a month.

11. ducks

ducks MINI of the Month October 2009

Jun 17, 2009
    prison guard
    below the water
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Congrats :tu:

12. pauliekeys

pauliekeys MINI of the Month July 2009

Jun 3, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Big congrats Kelli, well deserved!

Paulie C

13. Todd Wilson

Todd Wilson New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very Nice! Congrats!

14. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Wonderful! Thanks for taking the time to put your detailed Mini experience down in words.

15. lilcoopr

lilcoopr New Member

May 5, 2009
    MINI Ambassador and university student
    Toronto, Canada
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I love your MINI! Congrats on winning MINI of the Month! Those wheels look spectacular on the CR/B combo and so does your hood scoop! :D

16. Nics

Nics New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Congrats! Well deserved!

17. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Kelli's MINI got a whole makeover recently and I wanted to share it here. Through a "sand damage" claim it got all new paint, glass, trim, and lights. Some of the changes made during the makeover were the front badge was shaved, the mirror caps were sprayed "chili red", the black parts were sprayed glossy, the old Xenons were replaced with face-lift Xenons, the rear spoiler holes were filled and smoothed, the rear tail lights were professionally tinted, I recovered the backs of the front seats, and some new Schmidt TH-Lines replaced the old Konig rims:

IMG_8153.jpg IMG_8219.jpg IMG_8233.jpg IMG_8380.jpg 24057_10150174639065193_608845192_1.jpg 24057_10150176702430193_608845192_1.jpg Hood.jpg

18. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Updating with some pics from the last year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Those shots taken in the leaves are fantastic. :Thumbsup: One of my favorite MINI's around.

20. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Rezmoto took those shots at Oktoberfest for a feature:

http://rezmoto.com/magazine/2011/v3-1/

It burned a piston last year, both O2 sensors went bad, and it was down and out for awhile. We had higher compression pistons put in so it went from 8.5:1 to 9.5:1. She just got it back at the end of May in time for Wuste in Vegas and won the MINI class. Stock tune and injectors right now for the break in, but we are going to get it re-tuned with some 550cc injectors soon. Should be a little closer to 300whp. We are also going to start doing work in the engine bay, add some new paint, and mirror polish the wheels plus a few more little changes that should really look good.