Denise's Diablita - Cooper Flags MINI of the Month - November 2009

Discussion in 'Featured MINI' started by Nathan, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

1. Please tell us about your MINI when it was delivered. Option Packages along with the Year, Model and Color.

2008 Chili Red Cooper S Convertible with factory JCW package
    Ordered May 28, 2008, arrived at dealer 9/19/2008, took possession 9/23/2008 (all my after market dealer options took a while)

Factory Options: [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/550/medium/SNC00305.jpg[/imgR]
    Factory JCW Engine Package
    Sport, Premium, Cold Weather & Convenience Packages
    In Dash Navigation System
    Panther Black Leather Interior
    Power Folding Mirrors
    Front & Rear Fog Lights
    Heated Seats

Dealer Installed Options:
    MINI Alarm System
    MINI IPod Interface
    JCW Illuminated Door Sills
    Chili Red Door panels and dash trim
    Chili Red Shift Knob
    JCW Gear Shift Indicator LED System

All but rally lights and hood stripes 

2. Why did you choose a MINI?

Hmmmm … well, that all started when a very close family friend (Rich) who is a British car enthusiast raved about his ‘05 MINI Cooper S. I never really thought much about it, but when faced with the opportunity to get a new car in 2008, I thought the MINI might be a great option for me. Rich encouraged me to come to AMVIV5 to take a peek at a sampling of what you can do with a MINI.

In March 2008, I took my 3 boys out of school for 2 days so my hubby, my boys and I could make a fun trip out of "looking" at these cool cars. Well, the first day we got there my oldest son eyed a spectacular ‘06 Cool Blue MINI Cooper S w/the Wide Orciari body kit ... I instantly knew THAT was the type of MINI I wanted! I spent the next couple days talking to the owner (Everardo Valadez) about what went into making his MINI so unique. By day 3 of bending his ear about his MINI, I had decided I wanted to get a MINI ... but only if I could get it to look like his! I sheepishly and half joking, asked him if he would mind "helping" me with the ordering and aftermarket add-on's to help me achieve the look he had ... well, I guess he figured I was kidding or wouldn't really go thru with it ... so he said "Sure". He ended up winning "Most Extreme MINI" that year at AMVIV --- I knew I had selected well!

I went back home to So Cal & by May 2008 my MINI was on order ... Everardo helped with my Dealer MINI order & all the aftermarket mods, like ordering the body kit, fabrication of the custom spoiler & windscreen (which are his own creations), dealing with the wheel off-set requirements for the wide body kit, etc...

By September 2008 my MINI had arrived at the Dealer! I put the 1st 4000 miles on her before I drove her 8 hours to Everardo's house in Northern California in January 2009. That is where I handed over my new baby girl to him to help get the body kit, wheels, and some of the original mods added. [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/550/medium/The_Twins.JPG[/imgR]

By early March 2009, I flew back up North to pick up my beautifully appointed girl in time to bring her out to AMVIV6 for her own debut. I met up with Everardo and we displayed "the twins" together during the event.

3. Please tell us about the various phases your MINI has taken as your mods progressed.

First Phase (get the MINI) – ordering the MINI… waiting … then getting all the dealer options installed…

Second Phase (make her look HOT) – install the Orciari Body Kit, custom spoiler, custom wind screen, wheels, underbody strut brace, Air Intake Hose, StreetGlow LED Underbody Light Kit, Bullet Antenna, Strut Tower Defenders, Under Tower Intruder Plates

I was pretty darned happy with my mods at this point & did not have any immediate plans to do anything else. “Diablita†looked AWESOME!! I attended a few shows since AMVIV6 & won a few awards. It is fun showing her off! In June 2009 I met up and went on a run with the West Coast Mini (WCM) club here in San Diego. I went on my first official "run" and learned that "Diablita" was more than just a pretty car. I learned what a MINI is made to do ..... play in the twisties! [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/550/medium/2009-06-27_Euro_Show_at_Qualcomm_3.JPG[/imgR]

After my first run with WCM, I was hooked on making her a bit more aggressive on the twisties … thus started Phase 3.

Third Phase (make her a Goddess of the Twisties) – the start of the performance mods … H-Sport Competition Rear Sway Bar, then H-sport Competition Front Sway Bar with Powerflex A-arm bushings, Alta JCW Air Filter, Red Way Motor Works Air Plate Diverter, Lower Engine Mount Bushing, Aluminum Hub Rings, and Resonator delete Exhaust Mod. These really brought out the goddess in the twisties.

Recently, I took an even more aggressive direction and crossed over to, Phase 4. I went to my first Autocross event in October 2008 & found that I just LOVE testing the limits of both my MINI & my skills. I now am faced with the complex quandary of balancing my beautiful beauty queen versus being an autocross track queen. This will be the hardest balance to accomplish, but I am up to the challenge.

Fourth Phase (make her a Track Queen) – the continuation of the performance mods with a focus on autocross … these mods are a work in progress right now.

4. What has been your modification philosophy?

Well, I started out wanting to have that unique show quality look … more of the show queen look to turn heads. That was Phase One and Two (order and make her look HOT).

Then I went on my first official club run in June 2009 my local West Coast Mini club. That is when I (and Diablita) were introduced to an amazing group of friends and got a taste of how to enjoy the twisties as a MINI should. The smile from the adrenaline was permanently affixed to my face. Thus the start of Phase Three (make her a Goddess of the Twisties)

And now, being the adrenaline junkie that I am, I have set my sights on autocross, so now starts a new Phase … Phase Four (make her a Track Queen).

Who knows what Phase Five will be ... [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/550/medium/P1050850.JPG[/imgR]

5. What has been the most difficult mod completed to date? Why?

Well, that would have to be the selection of my 18†Rims. It took me over 3 months of searching to find the perfect set of Wheels that matched my list of wants/needs. I finally found them with the Jaagruti brand - 18 x 8, 20 offset, 4 x 100 bolt pattern, full coverage face, high polish chrome w/custom color options. Now with my Autocross goals, I will have to start another search for the perfect autocross wheels for when “Diablita†needs a lighter set of “shoes.â€

6. Where do you research and source your modifications; materials, parts, etc?

He he he … this is where I am very very blessed to have amazing brilliant MINI friends that I rely upon who love to research and have tons of experience. I really had no clue about what I needed when I started. I am slowly learning along the way, but still rely on the help of my personal MINI “Pit Crew.â€

7. Have other Motoring Alliance members assisted you? If so, give them a shout out.

My Motoring Alliance “Pit Crew†consists of Pharaoh, BBCooper & brownflyer. You guys ROCK!!!

8. How did Motoring Alliance help you as a resource in your modifications?

I am pretty new to Motoring Alliance, but I can tell you that I met one of my “Pit Crew†buddies through another MINI Cooper forum. He helped me with a posting. We started chatting and sharing MINI history. Since that time, I have been the recipient of many in-depth opinions and valuable suggestions when I have thrown my questions his way. [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/550/medium/11880017944_ORIG.jpeg[/imgR]

I find that I am getting more and more familiar with Motoring Alliance and enjoy all the information and opinions I find posted in the various threads. Lots of information on mods and events!

9. What are you planning next? What remains to be done? What are your goals?

Well, now that I have been bitten by the performance/autocross bug, my next few mods will be geared toward that end … while trying my best to not destroy Diablita’s outer beauty. Some plans include:

Set of Light Autocross wheels
    Front Camber Plates
    Rear Control Arms
    TSW X brace
    Custom Upper Strut Bar
    Front & Rear Sway Bar End Links
    Short Shifter
    Engine Damper

10. Please list all current mods. [imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/550/medium/11880017863_ORIG.jpeg[/imgR]

Looks/Exterior/Oh’s & Ah’s:
    Orciari Wide Body Kit
    Custom Rear Spoiler
    Custom Windscreen
    StreetGlow LED lighting (underbody & hood scoop)
    Hardwired Valentine 1
    Custom Red Bullet Antenna
    Resonator-delete Exhaust Mod
    Ian Cull’s Auto-Up Circuit
    18" x 8" high polish chrome rims with custom color matched inserts

Performance/Function:
    H-Sport Competition Rear Sway Bar
    H-sport Competition Front Sway Bar
    Powerflex A-arm bushings
    Alta JCW Air Filter
    Red Alta Air Intake Hose
    Red Way Motor Works Air Plate Diverter
    Red Craven Strut Tower Defenders
    Craven Under Tower Intruder Plates
    Lower Engine Mount Bushing
    Aluminum Hub Rings

2. tpguess

tpguess New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Real Estate Broker
    Bonsall, California
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great write up... beautiful car... excellent choice for Mini of the Month

3. BBCooper

BBCooper New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Congrats Diablita !!!! :Thumbsup:

4. Diablita

Diablita MINI of the Month

Aug 17, 2009
    Security Company owner
    Southern California - North Coastal San Diego Coun
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the Honor of being voted as MINI of the Month for November 2009 :blush2: ... I have to say that I thought the other 2 MINI's were absolutely georgeous too! I am always amazed how each MINI showcases such unique individualism ... WOW! You are welcome to check out my garage too ... pretty much the same info, but some additional photos too! :devil:

5. Lilredscoot

Lilredscoot New Member

May 12, 2009
    Jackson MS.
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Congrats Denise & Diablita:D

6. MightyStripes

MightyStripes New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Oct 29, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Congrats Denise & Diablita Very nice Mini :)

7. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Definitely one of the best looking cabrios.

8. Pharaoh

Pharaoh New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Ponca City, OK
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG] Wave that checkered flag for the winner!

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Congrats ! !

Was up against some stiff competition.......:Thumbsup:

10. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Congrats, but how is it that I have not seen you around CoCal?

11. not-so-rednwhitecooper

Aug 5, 2009
    mechanic
    Chardon, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #11 not-so-rednwhitecooper, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    Untitled-1-4.jpg

(Don't take it seriously, just a little fun. :cool: )