VicSkimmr's Stormtrooper - Cooper Flags MINI of the Month - January 2010

Discussion in 'Featured MINI' started by Nathan, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

1. Please tell us about your MINI when it was delivered. Option Packages along with the Year, Model and Color. [imgr]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/571/medium/IMG_9420.png[/imgr]

I purchased this MINI in October 2007. It started life out Chili Red with a Black roof. It has minimal options: MFSW, LSD, White Turn Signals, a sunroof and Rear Fogs.

2. Why did you choose a MINI?

I've always loved MINIs ever since I saw The Italian Job in 2002. This is my second MINI and I also own a classic Mini.

3. Please tell us about the various phases your MINI has taken as your mods progressed.

After the car was delivered I immediately added a JCW aero kit and a set of anthracite R99 wheels. Soon after I began working on covering all the chrome bits in black vinyl. Once that was done I decided to paint the headlight housings black to complete the look. The last bit of the first phase was checkering the roof in large 12" white checkers.[imgr]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/571/medium/IMG_1219.png[/imgr]

The second phase of my MINI's life started in April this year. I'd always wanted an Alpine White MINI, and I finally decided to try vinyl work on a larger scale. I ordered a roll of satin white vinyl and decided to give it a shot. The first weekend was terrible and disheartening, but I finally managed to get the hood wrapped. After that things moved faster and by mid-summer I had the entire car wrapped. The second goal I had was to clean up the look of the Cooper S, so I began installing some trim pieces from a Cooper. So far I've installed a Cooper spoiler, scuttles and gas door.

Once that was completed I located a set of 18" Tenzo DC5 wheels in bronze and installed a set of Vmaxx Coilovers to complete the look.

[imgl]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/571/medium/IMG_3595.png[/imgl]4. What has been your modification philosophy?

My philosophy has changed over time, and to be honest when I first bought the car I didn't have one. Right now my philosophy is to simply the lines of the car as much as possible. And with all MINIs, a proper drop is always a necessity.

5. What has been the most difficult mod completed to date? Why?

The most difficult mod was easily the vinyl wrap. It pushed myself to the limit for patience and without the support of the guys on motoring underground I probably would have given up long before it was done.

6. Where do you research and source your modifications; materials, parts, etc? [imgl]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/571/medium/IMG_8246.png[/imgl]

I browse the net extensively, so there are really too many to name, but I spend the majority of my time researching on m|u, and right here. Occasionally I'll venture over to Mini2.

7. Have other Motoring Alliance members assisted you? If so, give them a shout out.

Oh absolutely. The entire community was very supportive of my project and they were vital to keeping me motivated. But specifically, if it weren't for Rally and his extensive knowledge of wheels and suspension, or for Lagston and his knowledge of vinyl, I never would have gotten anywhere.

[imgr]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/571/medium/IMG_6946.png[/imgr]8. How did Motoring Alliance help you as a resource in your modifications?

Unfortunately Motoring Alliance was just getting off the ground when I was working on my mods, but the wheel finder was actually a great help in me determining what wheels would look good on my car.

9. What are you planning next? What remains to be done? What are your goals?

The exterior is essentially done, but I would love to find a way to remove the antenna and a Cooper D hood may be in the works eventually. The next project is to start on the interior.

10. Please list all current mods.[imgr]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/571/medium/DPP_0002.png[/imgr]

Full satin white vinyl wrap
    Vmaxx coilovers
    JCW aero kit
    Tenzo DC5 wheels
    Cooper trim - scuttles, spoiler, gas door
    DDM Street Intake
    M7 turbo heat shield
    Whalen Shift Machine
    TSW stud conversion
    Euro arches (not pictured)

More images can be found in the Gallery

2. AZblackOUT

AZblackOUT New Member

May 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice car, congrats!

3. bstaps

bstaps New Member

May 4, 2009
    Hose Jockey
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice. I may have to try vinyl on a larger scale.

4. loud9266

loud9266 New Member

May 21, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i love it!
    really looks great
    its amazing what some will do to get rid of CR LOL

5. VicSkimmr

VicSkimmr MINI of the Month - January 2010

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys :)

Chili Red and myself have a love-hate relationship :lol:

6. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    the dopest white mini i've ever seen! congrats!

7. dragonflyer

dragonflyer New Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Owner/ Operator od Aesthetic Creations
    Surprise!! AZ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Satin White vinyl was a great choice. I just did all the chrome trim on a OB in Satin White and it looked awesome.

Great job. Just goes to show all of you that you don't need to paint anymore:cornut:

8. MightyStripes

MightyStripes New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Oct 29, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice and congrats!

9. OZChris

OZChris New Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Melbourne AU
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice :)

Great job with the vinyl.

10. sketch

sketch New Member

May 24, 2009
    Luxury Motors internet rookie
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Congratz dude. That mini is one of the finest around for sure.

11. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    A well-deserved victor. This PW guy loves the clean, mean Satin White look. Congrats!

Just curious...how did you handle the door jams, boot hatch seams, etc. with the vinyl wrap? Did you leave them red? I've always thought these would be a PITA to do with a repaint using a radically different color and I imagine it's the same with the wrap. Assume you didn't fiddle with the engine compartment...

12. VicSkimmr

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Any piece that could be taken off to be wrapped separately, was.

I had to remove the door handles to wrap the door, that was by far the biggest PITA of the project. I can take closeups of any areas that you'd like to see closer.

13. Lilredscoot

Lilredscoot New Member

May 12, 2009
    Jackson MS.
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    CONGRATS!!!!!Well deserving.. Nice wrap:Thumbsup:

14. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    This MINI is bananas. :crazy::Thumbsup:

15. wrecker

wrecker New Member

May 5, 2009
    Retired / unemployed
    Ida, MI
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why not just buy a PW MINI?

Just my opinion, but you just ruined a perfectly good CR MINI.

16. VicSkimmr

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Because I wanted an actual white car. And I haven't ruined anything, it's still the same CR MINI underneath the vinyl.

17. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Great looking MINI. That action photo, #5 of 7 really looks fast.

18. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    some one didnt read the mod list :eek:ut:

19. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, congratulations on your win. Your's is perhaps my favorite R56.