Gilboyto's Un-Named - Cooper Flags MINI of the Month - March 2010

Discussion in 'Featured MINI' started by Nathan, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

[imgR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/580/medium/4303369966_9792aa9f27_o.jpg[/imgR]1. Please tell us about your MINI when it was delivered. Option Packages along with the Year, Model and Color.

My 2009 MINI Cooper S was purchased on December 26th, 2008. I actually purchased it from the lot because I did not want to wait for 3 months on a car to be delivered. It was purchased with Dark Silver/Black combo with the Cold Weather and Premium package. Other options installed was the LSD, piano black interior, center arm rest, and anthracite headliner with Xenon headlights and rear fog lights.

2. Why did you choose a MINI?

It’s a funny story, really. I used to truly dislike MINI’s and the way they looked. I needed a new car, and my mom mentioned checking them out. This wasn’t an easy task…I was coming from a 400HP VW Corrado that I built, so it was my last choice on cars to pick.
    I went to the MINI dealership and was thrown a key at me with an option to go out by myself with one. This is when I soon realized it was a perfect fit of personality for me. Stylish, yet weird enough to keep me interested. If it took me 10 minutes to figure out where the window switches were, it was interesting enough for me to check out!

3. Please tell us about the various phases your MINI has taken as your mods progressed.

My MINI has seemed to progress very quickly in the year that I have owned it. Originally I went from wanting to be a “handling machineâ€, to a performance-ready, slowly driven car. I started with a turbo-back exhaust, and then decided I wanted to go as low as I could on coilovers. It seems I can never really decide what direction my MINI goes. It definitely fits a very contemporary, very clean and simple car.

4. What has been your modification philosophy?

My modification philosophy has changed over time. It was always a section of “lets make it sound good, with a nice stereo†sort of scenario with my older cars. Starting with my Corrado and moving/improving it on the MINI, I would ditch stereo equipment and anything that had weight just to go faster. Anything that can out-run a car in a corner is the best in my book.

[​IMG]

[imgl]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/580/medium/DSC_1155.jpg[/imgl]5. What has been the most difficult mod completed to date? Why?

There haven’t been very many “difficult†mods to my car. I have a very big automotive background and fabrication has always been my previous experiences. One of my most time consuming modifications was my ALTA Turbo-back exhaust, believe it or not. When I first installed it, fitment was so-so; their resonator is HUGE! It would rattle, and I couldn’t get it to line up the way they claim it would so after heating up it would bang my heatshield at idle, and acceleration. I ended up having to remove the exhaust from the downpipe-back (which wasn’t a very pleasant ride btw) to my friends about 20 miles away to re-fit and cut, weld, and re-cut a section of the exhaust to fit perfect and eliminate the rattling. I think my headache lasted longer than the resonator itself.

6. Where do you research and source your modifications; materials, parts, etc?

I research any website that I can find. I used to source a majority of my information from North American Motoring, but it seems the response time there can be horrible. I always frequent Motoring Alliance and Motoring Underground the most for questions that can be answered quickly and easily by the great community.

7. Have other Motoring Alliance members assisted you? If so, give them a shout out.

Unfortunately, there is no one around my area that is into modifying MINI Coopers like I am. My buddy Phil (drPhilGandini) lives here, but we rarely have an opportunity to meet up outside of PMs on the forums. He has given me many tips on directions of my car and where to go with it. Rally and VicSkimmer have also been a great help in tips or opinions on my next move, big or small. These two seem to frequent the forums as much as I do, and always are willing to lend a helping hand.

8. How did Motoring Alliance help you as a resource in your modifications?

Motoring Alliance has helped me source much of my information in modifications and also other products that can be used in conjunction with my current mods, especially when it came to taking care of them. It seems any pertinent information that comes to my MINI is always easily available on Motoring Alliance.

[​IMG]

9. What are you planning next? What remains to be done? What are your goals?

There are many things that remain to be completed on the MINI. It will be an ongoing project. Aside from my recent purchase of the CCW Classics, I have been looking at getting a Forge FMIC to accompany my RMW tune (and remote) that are coming soon. I still need to purchase a wideband and gauge for this so I can monitor my Air/Fuel ratio but there are a few suspension mods I want to complete like a roll bar and end links, along with the JCW Recaro seat for the passenger. My ultimate goal with this car is to try and get featured into some sort of a magazine like Superstreet or Euro Tuner. I’m not sure why it just seems like a fantasy goal that I one day hope to achieve to show off my work and love for cars.

[​IMG]

[imgr]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/580/medium/DSC_2335.jpg[/imgr]

10. Please list all current mods.

Joey Modded Xenons
    20% window tint
    Plasti-Dipped gas cap and tail light rings
    OutMotoring belt-line blackout kit
    ALTA Intake
    ALTA Turbo-back exhaust with oval-tip exit
    ALTA Boost-gauge and pod
    JCW Recaro Leather/Alcantara driver’s seat
    JCW Aero Kit Version II
    H&R Coilovers
    18x7.5†Maxxim (Konig) Maze wheels on Falken 512 215/40/18
    18x8†et 27 and 18x8.5†et 24 CCW Classics with powder coated black centers, and 44 MAG valve stem caps on Falken FK452 215/35/18
    Texas Speedwerks M14 to M12 stud conversion kit
    Texas Speedwerks Rear Control Arms

2. Gilboyto

Gilboyto MINI of the Month - March '10

Jun 15, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yay its backkkk!!