Rally's Traveller - Cooper Flags MINI of the Month - February 2010

Discussion in 'Featured MINI' started by Nathan, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

[imgr]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/577/medium/airstuff2.jpg[/imgr]1. Please tell us about your MINI when it was delivered. Option Packages along with the Year, Model and Color.

My MINI was delivered in the spring of 08 and it finished up its break-in on the way to MOTD that year. It's a 2008 Hot Chocolate Brown MINI Cooper Clubman. I went with the basic options. Front+Rear fogs, Xenons, DSC, Sport Seats, Woodgrain dash, Pepper White colorline, and interior chrome accents.

2. Why did you choose a MINI?

As a child I spent my summers watching the vintage races and SCCA events at Mid-Ohio and Nelson's Ledges with my father. Even at a young age I was attracted to the classic Mini's in the paddocks and always dreamed of owning one. One can imagine my excitement when rumors started surfacing of a new MINI making it's way to American roads. It's a car brand that I've always loved, so it was only natural that I was drawn to it. Hopefully one day I'll be able to add a classic to a lineup and fulfill that childhood dream.

3. Please tell us about the various phases your MINI has taken as your mods progressed.

It's still rather new, so it's headed on the same projected path of modification. Things are finally coming together so now it's all about refining the style.

4. What has been your modification philosophy?

My modification philosophy has always been to keep things simple and clean while attempting to do something unique. I like the feeling of doing true custom work and fabbing up parts. It allows your own personal style to really show through in your car. Due to my affinity for the classics mentioned above, my style always points back to the vintage British styling present on the classic Mini's. Whether it's the wood-grain c-pillars, the chrome accents, or the small wheels, I like to emphasize the nature of MINI's as a retro design on the infamous classic Mini's.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. What has been the most difficult mod completed to date? Why?

The most difficult mod has been the air ride suspension. It's the first second generation MINI in the world to be put on airbags, and it's one of only a handful of MINI's to be bagged. No one makes a worthy bolt-in kit for our cars so I had to redesign the entire suspension from scratch and I'm still working on modifying the stock geometry to better match the ride height. There has been a bunch of work fabbing up custom one-off parts to make sure it all fit and ensuring that I could get as low as I needed. It's still a work in progress, but all the hard work has been worth it thus far.

[​IMG]

[imgr]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/577/medium/fall12.jpg[/imgr]6. Where do you research and source your modifications; materials, parts, etc?

I like to draw information from as many various car websites and forums as possible so that I can build a diverse pool of knowledge rather than just focusing on one make or model. I spend a large amount of time exploring the forums from the Euro scene as they are really pushing the boundaries of modifications.

7. Have other Motoring Alliance members assisted you? If so, give them a shout out.

I've gotta give a big shot out to all the M|U members who have supported me over the years. Many of whom have made their way to Motoring Alliance. I'd just like to extend my thanks to everyone who has made Motoring Alliance possible. It's the community that makes the MINI scene what it is and Motoring Alliance seems to be the epitome of what made the MINI community what it was in its early years.

8. How did Motoring Alliance help you as a resource in your modifications?

[imgr]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/577/medium/IMG_1597goodsm.jpg[/imgr]Motoring Alliance seems to attract the more technical types who enjoy discussing the intricate details of what makes an engine tick or how a certain suspension geometry change can effect handling. Even if it's not a mod I have planned, I love reading the technical discussion just for the sake of curiosity.

9. What are you planning next? What remains to be done? What are your goals?

I have all sorts of plans while the 2010 show seasons awaits on the horizon. I recently imported some rare classic British style mirrors from japan which are waiting for winter to leave before they get installed. I plan on reworking my suspension so I can get it even lower. It's time to address the front control arm geometry and figure out a way to shorten the oil pan or raise the engine a bit. I'm also working on finding a new set of wheels so I can switch the stance up for the new year.

10. Please list all current mods.

[imgr]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/577/medium/3970467254_187445cc57_o.jpg[/imgr]-Chrome Line front bumper grille
    -Chrome Mirrors
    -Shaved Rear C-pillars
    -Custom painted woodgrain C-pillars
    -Debadged
    -Yellow fogs and Orange running lights
    -Euro Side arches
    -Shorty Antenna
    -TT-style Shift boot
    -Custom 16x7 and 16x8 BBS RS wheels.
    -Stripped and hand polished lips and centercaps
    -Centers painted Hot Chocolate Brown
    -Custom Air Ride suspension
    -Rear struts shortened upwards of 4"
    -Front and Rear Pillowball upper mounts
    -Strut tower modifications
    -EasyStreet Digital air management and computer controls.
    -3 Gallon gold tank
    -EasyStreet Valve Manifolds
    -Custom front strut perches on Vmaxx struts
    -1/4" line all around with valve controls on the rear
    -Viair 400 Compressor
    -Vmaxx End Links

Thanks to Konky Photography

2. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    YAY!! the article is back!

3. Gilboyto

Gilboyto MINI of the Month - March '10

Jun 15, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Glad to see the info is back buddy! :Thumbsup:

4. SMOG

SMOG ZOOOOOMMMM
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 28, 2009
    Retired, twice...
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Kudos

A job well done on such a custom Mini!!!

Looking forward to a write up on the final product of the Air Suspension.

Stephen

5. Yippee MINI

Yippee MINI New Member

May 26, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great MINI! Would love to have the nads (and know how) to pull my MINI apart and customize her the way you have. GREAT MINI!

6. TWISTYBITZ

TWISTYBITZ New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    graphic designer
    Altadena/Pasadena, California
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    SWEET! Not a fan of brown but non the less a great MINI! If you'd like a free Clubby shirt... just email me. Robert

7. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    That woody look is fantastic! Nicely done!!!

8. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Congrats Rally! :Thumbsup:

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings: