Agro's Wee Beastie - Cooper Flags MINI of the Month - April 2010

Discussion in 'Featured MINI' started by Nathan, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

[imgr]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/585/medium/SSPX0058.jpg[/imgr]1. Please tell us about your MINI when it was delivered. Option Packages along with the Year, Model and Color.

When I picked it up, it was beat up red with a black roof. No options, but it DID have a rusted out rear subframe, which made the drive home from Cleveland to Vegas epic.

2. Why did you choose a MINI? I learned to drive on a Mini, had 5 of them growing up.

When I heard BMW was re-imagining the MINI, I told my wife “If they don’t screw it up, that’s my next car.†They didn’t, and it was. The Wee Beastie came to me after I’d been looking for a cheap, running classic and spotted him on eBay.

3. Please tell us about the various phases your MINI has taken as your mods progressed.

When he came home, he was red and had a bit of rust throughout, from those salty Ohio roads. I replaced the rusted out rear sub-frame, holey exhaust and beaten up rear suspension and got him back on the road. Then I stripped him down most of the way, had the body rust taken care of and repainted to Mustang Grabber Orange/Black and reassembled him myself. I’ve added a boxing Kangaroo roof graphic, and upgraded the cooling system for those Las Vegas summers and that’s about it.[imgr]http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/data/585/medium/roofgraphic.jpg[/imgr]

5. What has been the most difficult mod completed to date? Why?

Rear suspension replacement. I did it myself with a little assistance from a mate, but I’d never done anything that major on a car myself before.

6. Where do you research and source your modifications; materials, parts, etc?

My Haynes manual is invaluable, I check the boards on NAM, M/A and MiniMania for info. For parts, I check a whole slew of classic Mini parts sites and have bought bits from several, even some from the UK and Australia. eBay is also a surprisingly valuable parts store.

7. Have other Motoring Alliance members assisted you? If so, give them a shout out.

Nathan of course has helped with support and friendship, can’t count all the people I’ve become friends with over the past 7 years of MINI ownership and club and AMVIV activity. I have over 400 Facebook friends and over ¾ of them are MINI/Mini people.

8. How did Motoring Alliance help you as a resource in your modifications? Not a huge amount really.

The Classic forums on here aren’t THAT active [yet (ed.)], and the Mini really isn’t very modified from stock, other than the paint.

9. What are you planning next? What remains to be done? What are your goals?

Gotta finish up the interior, and fabricate or buy some boot interior panels.

10. Please list all current mods.

Grabber orange paint
    Orange aftermarket steering wheel
    Upgraded (though still original Mini) radiator
    Radiator fan and hoses
    Boxing kangaroo roof graphic
    Other than that, still stock, even running the stock “dual cone†suspension.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. VioletDC

VioletDC Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Copyeditor
    Leesburg, VA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Congrats, Wee Beastie! :Thumbsup::Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

3. Sarcux

Sarcux New Member

Jan 3, 2010
    GM at the Bone Creepers
    Macedonia, OH
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I remember that old girl! (I sold it to him). Glad to see it's all done, shiny and fancy! Awesome job, Agro! Glad she went to a good home.

4. HALL N S

HALL N S New Member

May 9, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice job!
    btw- where can I get a replacement badge from AMVIV 6? Car wash ate mine from last year?
    thanks.
    [email protected]

5. MD-IN-UK

MD-IN-UK New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Another Classic Mini saved from the elements. Nice job. Now I need to see about getting mine in here for May. :Thumbsup:

6. TT_Zop

TT_Zop Club Coordinator

May 26, 2009
    Machinist
    Flint,TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Congratulation Agro! Nice to see a classic win ROTM.

7. Agro

Agro MINI of the Month - April '10

Jun 21, 2009
    Snr Systems Analyst
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Still got a few things to do but I'm glad you approve. :Thumbsup:

Give me a call at 402 770-5087. I think we have a few left.

8. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Congrats!

9. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
  10. Agro

Jun 21, 2009
    Snr Systems Analyst
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thankoo, thankoo vermush.
    (think Elvis-speak)

11. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup: NICE CAR!!!!!!:cornut: Jason

12. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    It's cars like this that really deserve to be MiNi of the month:D

Mark

13. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It is a sweet classic, well deserved. When I saw it in the nominees, I knew I was sunk.

14. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Congrats! Loving the color :Thumbsup:

15. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Nice car! I'm jealous. I want a classic. :D

By the way, I notice the radiator is facing sideways. Is that true for all classics? :confused5:

16. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:YEP. Alot(not all though) of the Classics had their radiators facing the drivers side wheel well. I guess it's an English thing. If they had been built in Scotland, they'd be facing forward(SCOTLAND THE BRAVE).:devil::cornut: Jason

17. Agro

Jun 21, 2009
    Snr Systems Analyst
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Classics that still have proper Mini engines do. Can't say for those ones that have Honda or motorbike engines in them.

Versus...it's actually a current Mustang colour, "Grabber Orange". Means I can pick up touch up paint at any Ford dealership.

18. MD-IN-UK

MD-IN-UK New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I think Mini moved the radiator to the front in the Spi models of the very late 90's until the final car rolled off the assembly line. There isn't really much room for one in front otherwise, unless you do a Vtec conversion. Then they have to remove the original front sheet metal and put in an extended front in in Fiberglass. That adds about 3 to 4 inches to the front of the car. Most people never even notice the difference. But a Classic Miniac will. :arf:

19. Red Riley

Red Riley MINI of the Month - May '10

Jan 12, 2010
    Retired militarty photographer, professional stude
    Johns Island, South Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #19 Red Riley, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
    No longer true, using the MiniTec subframes. My car is not extended. In fact that was the final determiner for doing the VTEC in my car. I would never have messed with the original classic lines of the body.

But you are correct that the later MPI Minis from 1996 on had the rad in the front. (Except the Japanese exported ones. They kept the original sideways placement so that they could fit air conditioning under the bonnet.)