drPhilGandini's LITHIUM - Cooper Flags MINI of the Month - May 2009

Discussion in 'Featured MINI' started by Nathan, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

1. Please tell us about your MINI when it was delivered. Option Packages along with the Year, Model and Color.

My car is an April 2005 Dark Silver and Black MCS. It was ordered online and delivered in June at Ralph Schomp in Denver. I did a lot of research before ordering and during the 3 month waiting period which was pretty common back then. I ordered a minimal spec. hardtop, but thanks to my internet research and the proximity of Randy Webb's shop to Schomp's, I had only 5 miles on the odometer before the first set of mods were installed: a 15% pulley and Milltek cat-back. [IMGR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/vbtube/photos/original/phpj8riQn.jpg[/IMGR]

[IMGL]http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/vbtube/photos/original/phpKC4JEh.jpg[/IMGL]2. Why did you choose a MINI?
    As an Australian ex-pat I grew up surrounded by Minis and one particular original BRG Cooper S owned by a friend. His car was a wild ride and a little scary as he didn't really know how to drive it. Fast forward 30 years to when I saw a Dark Silver and Black new MINI at a gas-station in early 2004 it all came back to me. The new car was both retro and modern—and cute for sure, but I remembered that older, little Cooper and its obvious racing heritage. The new MINI Cooper S looked like an affordable sports car, and let's face it, the media reviews at the time were totally over the top! At 48 years old, perhaps this was the car to address my mid-life crisis? I certainly didn't buy it to get good gas mileage.

3. Please tell us about the various phases your MINI has taken as your mods progressed.
    Although I have been modifying my car continuously over the last 3½ years, the many modifications can be separated into phases. The first phase was heavily influenced by Randy Webb, so I got a 15% pulley, Milltek cat-back, Alta sway bar, H-Sport springs, Kosei K1 wheels with Falken RT-615 tires, and an Alta short-shifter. Randy installed most of these in Littleton and an Albuquerque pulley party. It wasn't until the next phase that I started doing my own wrenching.

[IMGL]http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/vbtube/photos/original/phpsEcMh8.jpg[/IMGL]The second phase included some cosmetic mods including a near total black out (total was to come later), aero grille and my own design chip guards. I started doing my own mods with a TCE-Wilwood 13†brake kit with matching rears, M7 coilovers (which have been great, by the way), adjustable camber plates, adjustable rear control arms and the dreaded strut tower brace. I lost the M7 brace after getting a TSW X-Brace for under the car, but kept the tower-top plates. During this time M7 introduced the horizontal flow intercooler (DFIC), and I jumped on the bandwagon quite quickly. The problem with being at the cutting edge is that often you just end up covered in blood. It was during the introduction and spread of the DFIC that my profile on NAM rose a little, as I was taking temperature measurements with thermal probes all over the engine bay and reporting these data on the boards. I installed aerofoils on the leading and trailing edges of the IC, modified the diverter, made my own scoop and invented the FAD (Fresh Air Diverter) that took advantage of the fact that the IC was offset to the passenger side of the engine and took air from the scoop and rammed it straight into the airbox. Joaquin (NAM: Partsman) and I ended up with the Intake Manifold Diverter-IMD modification that is a perennial thread on the R53 boards. My obsession with the intake air stream resulted in at least two legacies: my name is forever associated with IATs, and Partsman and I have pretty much established that much of the work on the intake system is like polishing a turd. Let it be said just once more: there's not much to be gained in the intake system, and more to be had elsewhere in this little car.

My third and current phase has included many gratuitous mods. Installing one Sparco Evo2 was justified by my track days spent sliding all over my OEM seats, despite the Schroth harness, but I really didn't need to install one for the passenger other than for appearances. I have 2 kids—it would be nice for them both to go for a ride in the MINI every now and then, but with the fixed back Sparcos there's no access to the back seats, so why keep them? I already had a Megan header, but when the cheap flex joint failed I didn't need much convincing to go for a custom header from Juston Poole of CMC. He does things a little differently, combining cylinder pairs 1 and 3, 2 and 4 and finishes the whole thing with ceramic coating inside and out. I've been very happy with the header. Another totally unnecessary change was buying black 18inch wheels when the silver 17s were great. Justification to self: keep the 17s for track days, and use the 18s for 'round town appearances. Actually, while the 18s aren't all that heavy—21 pounds—they do feel very different to the Kosei K1s. I think the car looks far better with black wheels, but it handles better with silver ones...[IMGR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/vbtube/photos/original/php74OHlw.jpg[/IMGR]

During this third phase I had the great fortune of going to Dallas to have my car tuned by Jan of RMW at an event organized by Nathan. Although I didn't have anything but the quite-common 15% pulley, JCW injectors, Brisk plugs and a header, Jan was able to get about 205HP out of it and a nice flat and fat torque curve. The car sure feels stronger and smoother as a result. As many state, there is nothing like a dyno tune by someone with experience to bring it all together into a coherent package.[IMGL]http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/vbtube/photos/original/phpfaIbFR.jpg[/IMGL]

4. What has been your modification philosophy?
    Looking back, I should have had a modification philosophy, but I didn't. Whenever I read one of those “what mods should I get?†threads on NAM, I'd say I did most of them in the right order, but I sure ended up buying some unnecessary stuff (Nology wires, strut tower brace) and I bought a few things more than once (headers, control arms). If I were giving advice, I'd send people to the main MINI gurus who offer a systems approach to mods. If anyone did a meta-analysis of NAM modification threads I bet they'd end up with the same conclusion. You can personalize (you-ify) a MINI on a relatively small budget, but it takes a pretty serious commitment to change the way a MINI drives. Making a MINI better requires changing things in the engine and the suspension. At some point you might end up wondering if you should have bought a different car, but modifying a car is as much about the journey as the destination. The MINI is an easy car to work on, and most bolt-on mods are just a simple swap, but for me the most satisfying mods have been those that required me to cut and grind things, like the WayMotorWorks brake ducts.[IMGL]http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/vbtube/photos/original/phprhuJQU.jpg[/IMGL]

As for appearance mods, I originally chose the dark, sleeper look. I've tried to maintain that theme by avoiding colors, and removing things rather than adding them. Dark silver, black-out, dark tint, joey-mod headlights and now black wheels have created a car that fits my original vision, but it's no sleeper and attracts a lot of attention during the daily drive.

5. What has been the most difficult mod completed to date? Why?
    Although I knew removing the battery box would be challenging—it involves cutting away a reasonable amount of the boot—the subsequent straight exhaust system has become my Waterloo. I actually harbor thoughts of one day adding rear diffusers (talk about appearances) and so a central exhaust system is essential, but the supercharged R53 is just a really loud motor, and a straight exhaust system is only 7ft long after the header and cat. I've tried 2 different straight systems and just about to get my third system. As always, I'll report on NAM how things go. I've found that not too many people do this mod, and that people's tolerance for noise and resonances (drones) vary considerably. Consequently it's turned into an expensive trial and error mod. It isn't the first, and it won't be the last.

6. Where do you research and source your modifications; materials, parts, etc?
    Even before I ordered my MINI, I found NAM and loitered for quite some time. As soon as I got my car I began asking questions and then offering comments. I've visited other forums, and even spent time on some, but I always turn to NAM for the best answers.

7. Have other forum members assisted you? If so give them a shout out.
    I've met many wonderful people and some have directly helped me, including, in no particular order, Randy Webb, Sid (MSFITOY), Joel (JS), Tony (TonyB), Joaquin (Partsman), Juston (badhogan) and Jan(Revolution Mini Works). Other members have contributed to my enjoyment of my car, and the sense of being a member of a community. In some respects I prefer the online community as I can participate when, and how, I want.[IMGR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/vbtube/photos/original/phpBzINpK.jpg[/IMGR]

8. How did internet forums help you as a resource in your modifications?
    Forums provide an incredibly wide range of resources not only to me, but to all members and visitors. These include how-tos, photos, announcements, reports, reviews, commentary, theorizing, speculation and pure opinion. I honestly don't think I could have altered my car without NAM. And it's only fair to give back something by reporting on mods, successes and failures, so long as it's done with civility.

9. What are you planning next? What remains to be done? What are your goals?
    I have to find a solution to the straight exhaust problem soon, having gotten discouraged with the first 2 attempts. I am working with Juston from CMC and remain hopeful that there's a good sounding and non-droning solution for me. I have ordered a RMW cam, which will go in before spring. Each year I promise myself more seat time on the track, and the track at Sandia Park seems to have been designed for the MINI—14 corners including 2 hairpins in 1.4 miles. Last year I swore I was finished with mods, but I'm getting close to 30,000 miles and a few things are starting to wear. Of course, I'll have to repair or replace all of them...

10. Please list all current mods.
    Engine/Drivetrain
    15% pulley
    Alta CAI with double-walls, + insulation
    Really Big Hole-Fresh Air Diverter (RBH-FAD) scoop
    M7 DFIC with entry and exit foils, modified diverter
    Intake Manifold Diverter (IMD)
    380cc injectors
    Detroit Tuned BPV
    RMW cam (install 02/09)
    Brisk plugs
    Nology wires
    CMC header, ceramic interior and exterior coating, race cat
    CMC mid-pipe with Hushpower II resonator
    CMC tail-pipe (being fabricated as this is written) 6x2†black oval tip
    NR-G engine damper, Ireland Engineering lower engine mount
    M7 oil catch can[IMGR]http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/vbtube/photos/original/phpjFf7ON.jpg[/IMGR]

Handling/Brakes
    M7 Coilovers, lowered
    Ireland Engineering adjustable camber plates
    M7 strut tower plates
    SRP rear control arms, upper and lower
    H-Sport rear sway bar
    TSW X-Brace
    TCE/Wilwood 13†BBK front and rear
    8mm custom concentric spacers all round
    WayMotorWorks brake ducts
    TMS wheel stud kit
    Konig Again4 18†45ET black wheels
    Yokohama Parada Spec2 215/35/18
    Kosei K1 17†45ET silver wheels
    Falken Azenis RT-615 215/40/17

Interior/Exterior
    Aero grilles, M7 lower grille
    Halo projector joey-mod headlamps
    dark tint on all indicators, license plate
    darl window tint
    black out including side markers, belt line, gas cap, CF door handles
    shaved rear badges, black front MINI wings
    custom chip guards
    XM radio in roof antenna base
    rear wiper delete
    Sparco Evo2 race seats driver and passenger (working weight sensor)
    rear seat delete
    de-amplifer sound deadening in boot area
    Alta short shifter, custom Whalen shift knob with wood insert, Tiburon shift boot
    Euro shelves driver and passenger
    Auto-up windows, XM Direct radio, iPhone holder, custom cup holders
    Schroth track day harness

Telemetry
    ScanGaugeII
    Temp probes IC inlet and outlet, digital display
    Temp probe airbox, digital display
    GTech Pro RR
    iPhone Dynolicious

2. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Excellent write-up and even better car! Modding your MINI is definitely an adventure.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    bump back to front

4. MINIMaybee

MINIMaybee Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    Engineer
    Centennial, CO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I'm glad this didn't get lost when the NAMagzine folded. Thanks for posting.

5. JLJWEIS

JLJWEIS Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Mini

was delivered November 2008 - She's a 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman S Pepper White with black bonnet stripes, black top with the Convenience Package, UJ valve stems and arm rest. Had someone tell me one day she looks just like a tuxedo! Her name is MINI Annie!
    :Thumbsup:

6. malcon

malcon New Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    thats great!
    looks great!
    GREAT!
    haha

very nice write up!

7. mdbsat

mdbsat New Member

May 7, 2009
    Finance
    San Antonio
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This was a really cool. Thanks for writing this up guys! :cornut:

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Your MINI could be one of the next ones featured. Nominations for June are still open. Contact me with your ideas...

9. mdbsat

mdbsat New Member

May 7, 2009
    Finance
    San Antonio
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #9 mdbsat, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    I nominate K-huevos! :Thumbsup:

10. Msfitoy

Msfitoy Member

May 16, 2009
    Male
    Automotive/Industrial Designer
    NC
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    wow...this is such a cool place...I'm glad Tuls told me about this...I'm a nube...can you guys help me mod my 2003 Mini?:D

11. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    heh. :lol:

12. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Ok Sid :crazy: Just drop it off !!! I have a few spare parts that I have not painted RED yet. :lol:

13. Msfitoy

Msfitoy Member

May 16, 2009
    Male
    NC
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    lol...I'm sober now...no need for red eyes...:D

14. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As a nube, I'd recommend you start reading Mini forums for about 5 years, make the occasional post, then start modding your car. If you're really lucky you could end up like this other guy with an '03 Mini (hey is yours silver, too?) who became famous for the mods he did to his car, his contributions to the internet Mini world and his many innovations and commitment to modding excellence...

Good to see you here, Sid!!

hey, as a nube, how come you have 13 posts, and I only have 7?

15. ruffcat

ruffcat Club Coordinator

May 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That is very awesome.. good to see and hear more about other peoples cars!!! Thank you for this

16. Msfitoy

Msfitoy Member

May 16, 2009
    Male
    NC
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    lol Phil...that sounds like too much work for me...maybe I'll just buy it off him:D

Great write up and presentation of your super Mini Phil :Thumbsup:

17. brewmeister

brewmeister New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Model:2006 Cooper S Checkmate

License Plate: MY CHKM8

Features/Options:
    As listed from the factory

Space Blue Metallic
    Checkmate Solar Blue Cloth/Leather

Combo #5 Checkmate:
    -Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
    -Checkmate Leather Steering Wheel
    -17″ Flame Spoke Alloys/Performance Runflats
    -Roof & Mirror Caps in Black and Silver
    -Bonnet Stripe
    -Checkmate Graphics
    -Checkmate Dashboard
    -Front Fog Lamps
    -Xenon Headlights w/Powerwash

Combo #3 Cold Weather:
    -Heated Washer Jets
    -Heated Mirrors
    -Heated Front Seats

Combo #1 Premium:
    -Multifunction Steering Wheel w/Cruise
    -Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof
    -Automatic Air Conditioning
    -On-Board Computer

After Market:
    Nuvi 360, mount created by brewmeister
    Goodyear F1 GS-D3 w/MOTEGI 17X7,FF15,SILVER
    JCW CAI, CHECKMATE EYES, XM RADIO

Attached Files:

18. Perfusion

Perfusion New Member

May 23, 2009
    Cardiovascular Perfusionist
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great MINI, drPhil!

19. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I'm constantly working on it--it's like therapy whether I'm driving it to work, or on the track, or working on it, or washing it. I guess I'm a pretty sad guy... This weekend is a new engine damper (why not try an alternative, eh?) and a JCW CF boot handle, just so that everything not painted is CF!

cheers,
    Phil

20. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    So, nothing chrome, or polished, or polished and clearcoated (paint), or blacked out with vinyl, or rubber, etc.

Maybe being a little literal and exacting.............. :D

Also, please drop me a PM sometime and tell me about your brake ducts, looks like I will have to piece something together, thanks.