Mini Turns Maxi: Bigger Model than Countryman Possible

Discussion in 'Future MINIs' started by Nathan, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    With the all-new Mini hatch, the UK-based carmaker has debuted a new platform, the UKL1, which will also be used by a series of BMW models like the 1-Series GT MPV and even the next X1 crossover. This means the platform allows bigger models than the Mini hatch, and the British brand will take advantage of that too.
    The new platform will give Mini “scope to be far more adventurous†on spin-off model derivatives, according to BMW sales and marketing boss Ian Robertson. Among these new models, there could be a car even bigger than the Mini Countryman crossover, the exec added.

“The Countryman is 4m 17cm [164.2 inches] and when we launched it we were very conscious that we had to remain true to the Mini brand. But sales of 100,000 Countrymans a year show that it has been a success, and that we are capable of more,†the executive was quoted as saying by Autocar.

So what exactly does he mean by “more� There are some limits for a brand like Mini, Robertson believes. “I'm not sure we could sell a 5m [196.8in] Mini. But so long as we remain true to the principles of it being very much an urban car, with a good turning circle, a decent size to park and so on then I think there are areas we can explore,†the exec explained.

It looks like the only way for Mini is to go bigger, as Robertson said smaller models than the Mini hatch are off-limits, since they would have to be based on an all-new platform – which would be very expensive to develop. Sadly, this means the Mini Rocketman concept will probably be shelved forever.

Source: Mini Turns Maxi: Bigger Model than Countryman Possible - Carscoops

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Time to change the brand name from MINI to "BIGGIE"

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Oh wow???

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeah they won't make a smaller MINI because it will cost too much.

Well it would not cost that much if you kept it MINI and not load it full of BMW crap like nanny warning lights and systems, Navi and Blue tooth and run flats.

If they want to keep building big ugly sub BMW cars buy the SAAB brand and bring it back to life.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    A company out to make money won't ignore a thing like the Countryman sales figures.

Sell more cars >> make more $, and the Countryman sells well.

I just think they ought to add some big, bold quotation marks to the MINI emblem on anything Paceman or larger. Seems to me that would even fit the fun, quirky, laugh at yourself brand persona they've been cultivating.

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    It is a cruel irony that they drop the Rocketman in favor of the Denali sized Countryman XL or whatever they'll call it. Guess it won't stop until they have something bigger than the extinct Ford Excursion.

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Because.... Fiat 500XL....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385842404.212060.jpg

8. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I'll give BMW credit for one thing, at least when they make a MINI bigger, it still resembles a MINI, the proportions are still relatively accurate. The Fiat XL no longer resembles a Fiat 500 IMHO, it's worse than what happened when MINI went the Clubman route. and I don't think it really will be something many people will cross shop with a larger MINI--it looks more like a garden variety station wagon, and it'll probably be priced quite a bit lower than any gargantuan MINI offering. I suspect it'll share the same fate as the Clubman, it'll sell, but it won't be a hugely popular model, the clubman is near the bottom of MINI sales, the hatch and the Countryman are what's driving sales.

I have to admit, the Countryman is a guilty pleasure, I was given one for a week and I did like it. It's overrpriced, but despite that, I could own one once the kids are gone.