RUMOR: Lightweight MINI Superleggera roadster concept green-lighted for production

Discussion in 'Future MINIs' started by Nathan, May 29, 2015.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

The MINI Superleggera wowed onlookers with its open-air ambience when it was first shown on the shores of Lake Como at the incomparable Villa d’Este Concours d’Elegance in 2014.

Now, European sources are saying the MINI Superleggera (Italian for ‘superlight’, a term famously used to describe Italian coach-builder Touring’s tube-frame body construction technique on iconic cars such as the Aston Martin DB4) has been given the production go-ahead, with a 2018 debut likely.

BMW/MINI board member in charge Peter Schwarzenbauer wants to refocus the MINI brand, reducing the number of variants for the third-generation vehicle and emphasising quality. It is believed none of the outlandish previous variants – including the Paceman, Coupe and even the Roadster – will be replaced.

According to sources the MINI Superleggera has had to be modified to achieve type approval, however, the production vehicle should retain the concept’s essential character and could look like this rendering.

The two-seat soft-top concept’s complex driveline, which incorporates an electric motor up front and a combustion engine to drive the rear wheels, would likely be changed to adopt the modular front/all-wheel drive third-gen production MINI platform.

As a result, expect a range of turbocharged three- and four-cylinder petrol engines for the Superleggera upon debut.

Source - http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/mini/mini-turns-italian-51500

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    HAHAHA..... On again... Off again.... Back on again.... Sure.....:crazy:

This must be MINI design talk for.... Gotta meet the dreaded "EU Pedestrian Safety Standards":ihih:

3. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    "According to sources the MINI Superleggera has had to be modified to achieve type approval, however, the production vehicle should retain the concept’s essential character and could look like this rendering."

This is a key quote, so really no telling what it "could" end up looking like... My fingers are crossed though, plus hoping they atleast don't make it look like they copied the Miata..

4. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Yes please.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    And yet the Miata passed EU Pedestrian Impact Safety Standards with their front end treatment...

Maybe Mazda had more "Helmets on the head" then "Scarves around the necks", with their designers....

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    And managed to get smaller while doing so.

7. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    I could wish, but I suspect we will see the pink marshmellow again. :(

Interesting how Mazda/Miata got it done, isn't it!

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    As you wish...after all, we are here to help.

[​IMG]

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    In all honesty.......rather have an MX-5

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    More speculation...

The Superleggera will be positioned above the topless version of the MINI Hardtop as a more back-to-basics, driver-focused model aimed right at the fourth-gen Mazda Miata and the upcoming Fiat 124 Spider. Designed as MINI’s halo car, the Superleggera is expected to make the transition from concept to production with only minor visual modifications. The futuristic headlights, the overly thin side mirrors and the frameless windshield will be tossed out, but the long fin on the trunk lid and the Union Jack-shaped tail lamps will surprisingly be retained.

Read more: 2018 MINI Superleggera | News, Specs, Rumors | Digital Trends

11. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Its gonna meet the EU pedestrian standards by swallowing them...look at the mouth on it!! Reminds me of a cross between a catfish and a Jaguar.....:rolleyes:
    Hopefully it actually gets built....makes me wonder since the BMW counterpart it was to share a platform with got axed...
    Makes me wonder if a designer just "leaked" info in hopes of changing somebody's mind due to the press reports...maybe I am just a cynic....MINI, PROVE ME WRONG...PLEASE!!:cornut:

12. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    What none of these articles mention is that the Superleggera is a size above the standard Mini and is based on the upcoming Clubman chassis, so it's more an Audi TT competitor. Which is disappointing as bigger is not better in this case.