MINI Van??

Discussion in 'Future MINIs' started by Nathan, Jul 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

What's next for Mini? Could it be getting even bigger? Well, maybe not bigger, but roomier. That's the idea behind the rumored space concept that could arrive in the next few years.

Now that the Mini Countryman has paved the way for larger, more utilitarian versions of the standard coupe, the company is considering something along the lines of a mini-minivan. Don't worry: there will be no sliding doors or swiveling seats.

Instead, the space concept would most likely ride on the same chassis as the Countryman, but punch out all the interior dimensions to their limits. The result would be a vanlike silhouette and extra space for passengers and cargo.

An executive at Mini recently revealed that the Countryman chassis has the flexibility to add a few inches of wheelbase, so the space concept could benefit from a slightly larger footprint. A third row isn't likely, but extra cargo room and adjustable rear seats could be one way to make the space concept a little more useful than the Countryman.

Don't expect to see the bigger, boxier Mini any time soon. The company is currently working on the rollout of the Countryman, which begins U.S. sales early next year. That will be followed by the two-seat Mini Coupe in mid-2011 and the Roadster in early 2012. With that kind of cadence, the Mini space concept probably won't arrive until the spring of 2013 at the earliest. That should be plenty of time to let the Mini purists get used to the idea of the Mini minivan.

From Inside Line: News, Road Tests, Auto Shows, Car Photos and Videos

2. Bhozar

Bhozar New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Eww, not liking that. Then again, I didn't like the Countryman when I saw it last month. It's like a VW Golf, and a uglier in the metal than in photos.

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Will they come with one of these as standard equipment?

[​IMG]

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I for one do not have a problem with all these MINI variations......

The original classic came in a load of oddball combinations, so did the Fiat 500 and 600s, and they all had a place in the overall scheme of things. Wouldn't you rather see people driving one of these than a Ford Exploder or a Suburban?

I'm waiting for a properly designed and sorted MINI pickup truck!

5. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I had the very same thought.

6. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well, I completely agree that the design language they're using on the front end is not pretty and they could definitely do better. But the concept itself I'm OK with.....

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Oh geeze, I just noticed I left out the fact that this is a rendering by a 3rd party. Not at all a leak or dumpster dive. The site with the rendering is also know for coming up with their own ideas based on what-ifs.

8. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think a MINIvan would be bitchin'! In fact, I love that idea. I don't see it ever happening in today's van-fearing society.

9. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    There is a market slot opening...

last day of production for the PT Cruiser is in two days...

Matt

10. Bhozar

Bhozar New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not Auto Express in the UK is it? They are well known for just making stuff up.

11. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    There is a God!

12. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, those PiTyCruisers were well past their sell-by date.....

13. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Not my cup of tea, but if I were in the market for a Mini van, I'd surely consider it.

14. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I am going to go against the grain here...
    I actually think its cool...it would compete with the Mazda5...but with more Zoom ;)
    We all know a spacebox is coming...I can only imagine the backlash of the purists once more info is available...
    This picture will only serve to stir up a Shite-load of: "THE BRAND IS DILUTED", "I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MINI", "MY R50/53 is the only MINI ever!!!"...blah blah blah...

This concept is SIDEWAYS APPROVED :Thumbsup:

15. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I notice that the picture indicates it is an "S". I can just see mom taking the kids to school while they are yelling, "hit the turbo mommy, I want to hear the turbo".
    Jim

16. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    The idea isn't horrible but I sure hope it looks better than that rendering.

17. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
  18. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Actually, believe it or not, I'd rather have seen this vehicle than a junior varsity off-roader (despite the introduction of AWD to the MINI line). A simple FWD people mover that is fuel efficient is not sexy, but it gets the job done. And yes, it's ugly, but not as ugly as that gobsmacked Countryman.

19. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Does look pretty bad....
    I can kinda see the point of a MINI SUV...but a MINI-VAN?!
    It does sound kinda funny, but if BMW is trying to make MINI a full line of cars...I think they just might destroy what makes MINI a MINI, and not a Ford. :eek:ut:
    They were pushing with the countryman, and I think most folks are saying, OK it is not a true MINI, but it does have some MINI spirit...But a MINI-VAN? Even if it drives like crazy, and handles great...is...er...still a van...:frown2:
    Leave the little vans to KIA, Nissan, and Scion.
    It is EASY to see they have a desire to keep the brand young....and attract younger buyers, BUT if they water down the brands image, and make it TOO MAIN-STREAM, what is left?!
    Just another car name badge..... :nonod:
    I guess there might some merit to it....but I still don't like it...you can only do so much with the MINI nameplate before it is no special!! This may be it.

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0