Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen iPod Touch instead of iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by BoCRon, May 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    So I'd like to use an iTouch in my '11 MCS for music and MINI Connected if that is possible. This way I can just leave it in the car full time and not have to constantly be pluggin/unplugging my iphone 4. Does anyone know if any of the snap in armrest adapters are compatible with the iTouch? Also, will I be able to use the Google Send to Car feature with an iTouch? Usually it just asks for the account name that and sends it, so I'm not sure a phone is necessary, maybe it can be accomplished with WiFi?

Annette

2. amberback

amberback Club Coordinator

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    It should fit in the armrest, or there might be another adapter since they're shaped differently. MINI Connected lists the iPod Touch as a supported device so it should work fine.

However, you will not be able to use any web radio, twitter, facebook, news, or anything else that uses internet. I'm not sure, but i would think that you could use the 'google send to car' option as long as you are within range of wifi.

You have an iPhone 4 now, right? You could try this all out by going into settings and turning on 'airplane mode' and then turning on wifi. This will essentially turn your iPhone into a temporary iPod Touch to test things like 'google send to car' via wifi.

3. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0

Great idea, thanks. I've only had the iPhone for about the time I've had the new MINI so had no idea what airplane mode did.

Also, does anyone know how to downgrade an app? The MINI connected upgraded version that added Dynamic Music and Mission Control apparently only works with the armrest adapter. Of course they don't have an armrest adapter for the iPhone 4 yet and mine upgraded before I found this little factoid out!

Annette

4. amberback

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Hm... it requires a little hacking of backups and might be possible. Do you sync your iPhone regularly with a Mac or a PC?

5. BoCRon

BoCRon Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Milton, GA USA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Mac, here. I think I found the old version in trash can!

Annette

6. amberback

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    That's a good place to look. Delete the one on iTunes and the one on your phone then drag & drop The old one back into iTunes & sync. Can also look in time machine backups if you have those set up.

7. CharlieVictor

CharlieVictor New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 29, 2011
    SoCal
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    That's curious - I use an iPod Touch in my 2011 and it was able to run Mission Control. I don't have it in the armrest, just plugged in ahead of the gear shifter with the cable that came with the car.

But here's something I discovered that may help: In addition to the new version of Connected, you will also need to download at least one of the Mission Control Themes. I think a Theme is a library of phrases; there seem to be two available at the moment: Urban and Minimalism.

I think Dynamic Music works the same way: There are a bunch of music files (ten or so) that you can select from and add to it while you have a wi-fi connection. Not 100-percent sure about that one yet, as I'm still fiddling with it myself. The one time I tried to use Dynamic Music in the Clubman, it said there was no library, or something to that effect (I hadn't yet downloaded any of the music tracks). Haven't tried to play with it again, yet.

You can add Themes and Music without having the iPod plugged into the car. I did at home it by starting up the MINI Connected app, and then selecting Mission Control or Dynamic Music. I was then able to select and add the Themes and Music tracks using my home wi-fi connection. Hope this helps!