Children and the MINI

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by bf_, Jul 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bf_

bf_ New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have been thinking on this a bit, but B.A.D. pulled up behind us in the the new BRG Clubby S last night and it reminded me that I wanted to ask for some experiences and input.
    How practical is the MINI for daily life with a child? I guess I should say that we are expecting a little F in January. :Thumbsup: I remember reading posts of putting one's child in through the boot (which at the time I thought was just entertaining from the outsiders expected reactions), but I just don't remember seeing (and my search-fu appears to be poor) much content on the practicality of life with spawn and the MINI. Then I think of the B.A.D. conversion and that makes four people I know that have gone clubman and I'm wondering if the MINI is really now as piratical as I have been hoping that it was.
    Anywho... enough with the ramble. I hope I have conveyed some sort of question in the direction of my interest. Things I should be aware of, we will be fine until age x, relax everyone is doing it, run fool run...? :idea:
    Thanks.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    Congrats on the pending new addition to your family. :Thumbsup:

All I have to say is there must be something in those donuts at Tim's..... :smilewinkgrin:

3. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Kinda depends on your flexibility (as in "can you get the child in the back without hurting yourself?), whether you've got long drives to see grandma and grandpa or other folks, whether you've got another vehicle at your disposal, and how needy you're going to be with the little one - will you be bringing playpens and highchairs and the latest in high-tech strollery? Or can you survive on the shell of a single organic peanut, an infant carrier hand-spun from tree bark, and your birkenstocks?

Anything is possible, heck I've taken vacation for a week with 4 fairly grown people in the Mini (with a trunk rack or trailer), but then again, I'm kinda crazy that way.

In short, it can certainly be done if you can fit your life in it, and deal with a little bending.

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    The Countryman might be more what you are looking for.

Jim

5. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    My child (Crashton) usually drives his own MINI:biggrin5:

6. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
  7. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    I am quite happy with our conversion to the Clubman. Is it as practical as an Accord or Camry or whatever...no but it is a heck of a lot more fun!! :D

8. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I have this awful picture in my mind of a car seat, attached to the center rail, so you can pull him up front to feed him donuts. :lol:

Jim

9. Curves906

Curves906 New Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    #9 Curves906, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
    Robb and I have an '09 MC and an '08 Clubman AND a 5 month old. We planned ahead when we bought the Clubman for the future of having children to haul around since at the time we had an '06 MC. I have to admit it is a lot easier to get our little girl in and out of the Clubman than it is the Cooper, but it is completely do-able in both cars, and through the doors not the boot! There was no way we were going to give up our MINIs so we did a lot of research on what fits in a MINI and what doesn't for car seats and gear. PM me if you want to know what we went with. We can easily haul Anna, a large diaper bag, her stroller, a play mat, a bumbo etc etc with the seat down. We also have a roof rack with a basket for when we go camping and take our German Shepherd and Boxer with us (who do fit with Anna in the Clubman) In conclusion: no need to get rid of the MINI just adjust to gear that fits! :D

10. Curves906

Curves906 New Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Oh and CONGRATS!!!

11. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Congrats! I can't speak for having a newborn in the MINI, but I can say that I think it would have been a lot easier to get a toddler out of a Clubman.

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    Thanks Dad! :biggrin5:

13. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    Congrats!

The Clubman worked great for our 2 kids until a few months ago when their current ages led to fighting when in close proximity and driving their mother crazy. She traded it for the suburban. I think it would definitely be great for 1 kid.

14. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0

Hummmm, maybe there is a market for a "MINI Straight Jacket". :lol:

Jim

15. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    Add a muzzle and we will be all set. Maybe also trim it in carbon fiber and put JCW on it. Now that will sell!

16. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Now THAT is funny, on so many levels...

17. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    1 kid and a MINI is no problem at all. When they start in the carier seat you just kind of fling it back there and are good to go. Then they progress to a rear facing seat that stays in a car, you just get in the other side and sit in the empty seat while you strap them in really easy. Then they move to forward facing and you just stick your butt out while you strap them in.

The problem is when you have 2 and need to get a baby into a fixed rear facing seat without being able to sit in the other rear seat.

That was my experience and the reason I got rid of mine. Now that both boys are forward facing it would be manageable again, BUT it is sooo much easier with 4 normal doors to get the kids in their seats.

18. bf_

bf_ New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input everyone. For those who don't know me I guess I should have noted that we are currently in an 08' MCS and happy to stay there for now if everything is as manageable as it sounds. Most family is either within 15-45 min by car, or the far side of the country.

Curves906, we may hit you and Robb up for some particulars.

And Mark, I can't get this disturbing image of Chuck in a bonnet with a box of bits in his lap out of my head.

19. Cred

Cred New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Ilnois
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My wife and I owned a 2002 JCW and loved it until my kids got so big that their feet were hitting the back of the drivers seat. We had one in a car seat and the other was a 6 year old. We sold it for a Land Rover LR3 which has tons of space and was really practical. But, I've missed that darn Mini since 2005 when wee traded her in.
    Now I am trading in the rover for a 2012 Mini!

20. Scott Evil

Scott Evil New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is where we are. My sone is 2 1/2 and a bit tall for his age and his little feet want to play soccer on the back of the seat.

Now I understand why my old man was so grumpy with a car full of kids and why the station wagon had a rear facing seat in back.

I would say that you are probably good in the mini until your kid is 18-24 months old.