Mini News MINI Puts Clubman Production on Hold

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

MINI’s Clubman variant, part of the ever expanding portfolio of the brand is apparently no longer being manufactured, according to the Telegraph. For the moment, customers and potential buyers will have to rely on the existing stock for their Clubman needs.

That’s at least until the new model comes out. MINI showed us a preview of what’s coming through the Clubman Concept that was unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show this spring. However, compared to the old model, this one grew in size by quite a considerable margin.

Other changes were also clearly noticeable such as a more upbeat interior, various practicality upgrades and new technology. Of course, it was all a concept but judging by what little separates concepts from production cars over in BMW’s corner these days, expect the new model to come out swinging.

The new model won’t feature the asymmetric design the old one had either. If you recall, the current model has two doors on the right side and one on the left, no matter if it’s being sold in a right-hand drive country or a left-hand drive one.

On the other hand, the new one will keep the barn-style doors at the back, a trademark feature for this particular model. As for the engine line-up, you shouldn’t expect many changes, despite the bigger size of the car.

The same 1.5-liter and 2-liter plants will be used, with power outputs varying from under 100 HP to over 200 in the case of the John Cooper Works model, if that’s ever going to become reality. If not, there’s always the Cooper S alternative that has a 2-liter 192 HP heart beating under the bonnet.

The problem is, the new Clubman will enter production in July 2015 so, until then, customers will have to rely on the existing stock alone. We have a feeling there won’t be any problems in this regard...

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ....little separates concepts from production cars over in BMW’s corner these days.

That's just a shame, :frown2: MINI should be more of its own "unique" brand and not so BMW-ish.

The brand they own has it's origins in Britain, show a little respect and try not to make everything German. Its not a German car. :incazzato::incazzato:

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Soon to be a BritiDutch car...:D

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    All good things must come to an end. Time to put collector car insurance on Babs clubster. Best check with Barrett Jackson too. Oh boy we're gonna be rich I tells ya! :ihih:

5. ex Lightwrangler

ex Lightwrangler New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Taming & controlling lights
    Toronto
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I've been missing mine since it got written off by insurance. I looked for a replacement but no suitable one could be found. Take care of your clubbies my friends, it may take a few years but they are bound to become collectable.

adrian

6. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    So much for my idea of a Clubman base Ute. They will be just too expensive.

7. ex Lightwrangler

ex Lightwrangler New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Taming & controlling lights
    Toronto
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Also is it just me or has Mini gone a tad door crazy of late? I mean the countryman, the four door hardtop and now a 4 door Clubman? I'm expecting a 4 door cabriolet next.

Adrian

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    The production order that went out on the line for doors had a few extra 000's added by mistake....

MINI Design department..... "We can work with that"...

Gotz lemons.... Make lemonade....:D

9. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Oh, ModFather...do I hear "RatRod Clubbie"? :devil:

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Kinda sad... The Clubman was by far the coolest 2nd gen Mini IMO. The larger size of the 2nd gen platform really worked for that design, instead of against it. Had much quirkiness and design detail that still made it a great Mini.

11. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I plan on keeping mine!