Apparently, winter traction is an option box I forgot to check

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Spa2k, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    Yikes - I just drove my JCW for the first time on snow and ice, and it's much worse that I ever thought it would be. (And that's saying a lot for an old ice racer ...)

I can't believe the ditches aren't littered with mangled MINIs after every snow flake falls. I'm headed to Tire Rack for some traction.

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I never really had any problems with mine. You do need to turn of the DSC when going up hill, or you my never make it to the top.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Wow you are lucky. Driving on HP summer tires in the winter is like walking a greased high wire. I'm glad you survived & are getting more appropriate rubber from the good folks at Tire Rack.

I find both of our MINIs are snow machines, but they both wear snow shoes this time of year.

4. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I second this. It makes a world of difference. Just leave it off all the time on snow and drive old school, without the computer.

Use the Force, Luke.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    No nanny computer tools on (DSC Off) and drive old school with snow tires and your MINI will be a snowmobile.

You know what DSC stands for right? Dumb, Supid, Comuter. :lol:
    It's for people that need special computer features to drive like normal drivers. You know the people that don't need Hill Assist to move / drive a stick shift car on a hill from a dead stop.

6. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    Hill Assist? I thought it was launch control - couldn't figure out why it didn't work going downhill. :biggrin5:

7. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    The GPs sold in Canada are more expensive than those in the USA because they came with an extra set of wheels and winter tires. Those Kumho tires are absolutely useless in cold weather.

Like everybody else has said already. Get snowtires. The guys at Tire Rack are good folks to visit.

8. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    I've always run Blizzaks from the Tire Rack in the past, but I got spoiled by the GTI I traded in on the MINI - three winters on the OEM tires, and no issues at all. The worst thing is winter hasn't even started yet. :(

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Winter hasn't started yet?

Tell that to the 5" of snow we just had and the upcoming temps in the teens and single digits. Winter, like Hanukkah, is early on the secular calendar this year.

10. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    Enjoy your balmy weather - it's already been below zero more times than I want to count around here, which is really unusual. :cryin:

11. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Nathan, it's time to dredge up my old "winter tires" thread again! This time I've footnoted it...

Bottom line: If you're serious about driving in winter, get winter tires. Period.
    Please don't now say "I've driven in snow on all-seasons wince the automobile was invented and due to my MAD skills I've never had a problem." because, well, 1) How much easier & safer would THAT have been with a whopping 40% more traction? and b) sure glad I'm not stuck behind you...

The basics: We did tire testing, on R53 Minis, closed-course (1), trained-drivers (2), "ideal" winter conditions (3).

Winter tires (6) provide over FORTY PERCENT MORE TRACTION than even new all-seasons (5) in winter conditions. Winter tires provide 2.5 TIMES the traction of summer tires (3). What was really telling was the feeling of control with winter tires, compared to unpredictable slip-sliding on all-seasons and a near-total lack of control on JCW summer tires.

Data talks:
    Winter autocross times (averages over 5+ runs and 3 drivers, Mini R53's):
    - Summer tires: 75 seconds on the one run when they didn't get stuck somewhere on the FLAT COURSE
    - All-seasons 45 seconds
    - Winter tires 32 seconds

Come try it yourself on February 9th at PittRace at the PittStopMINI "Wintry Driving Refresher". Block the date, registration will be up shortly...

Footnotes
    1. PittRace, back when it was BeaveRun, February 2008, I believe
    2. Training well beyond what the DOT requires, (4) drivers
    3. One of the test vehicles could only make it up the hill to the track by letting most of the air out of its tires, and the summer-tired Mini, even in the hands of pro driving instructors, got stuck on the FLAT course on every run except one.
    4. Course was a flat autocross, 95% covered with hardpack, ice, some slush, some loose snow, one very small spot of wet pavement, about 25 degrees out: in other words, average "really bad" US wintry conditions
    5. Average of (2) types all-season, both with less than 2000 miles on them, both well-rated in snow
    6. One set newer Blizzak 60's, the other my 5000-mile Dunlop WinterSport M3's. Worth noting both of these have been supplanted by newer, better models, and the Dunlop is a "performance" winter tire.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The Article - Winter Driving Tips

13. ex Lightwrangler

ex Lightwrangler New Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Taming & controlling lights
    Toronto
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Gotta agree with the majority here - winter rubber is the way to go. There is simply no way to get a MINI around in Ontario conditions with "all" seasons in a safe, controlled manner. I'm using Dunlop winter sport on 16" rims and they are working well. When it comes time for a replacement I'm thinking Blizzaks, or Michelins but the Dunlops have another season left in the tread at least. Anyone know how many years a tire is good for?

Thanks for the winter driving tips
    LW

14. Spa2k

Spa2k Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +975 / 0 / -0
    The tire industry officially says 7 years, but for most people it's more a matter of wear and tread depth. For Blizzaks that have the Multicell technology, the good tread compound is gone by 20,000 miles, but you'll still have winter tread in a conventional rubber compound.

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Having had Blizzak's that went past their winter compound all I can say is at that point they are no longer a winter tire. Just an all season at best.

16. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Leon's Winter vs. All-Season analysis makes me want snow tires... even though they're completely impractical down here. :D

17. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    When I had my TT, I would run Pirelli SnowSports in the winter. They were fantastic, but very expensive. Though I am sure they have been replaced by a newer model by now. The Continential whatever they are that came with my car kinda suck, but still not as bad as the Kumhos that I had on my RSX for awhile, they sucked donkey balls. I would have to look at them and see which Continentals they are.

18. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Reminds me, I have a set of Yokohama AVS ES 100s sitting in my parents garage, I wonder if those are any good? Or if they will even fit on my mini. As I recall they were 17x7.5 where my Mini wheels are 17x7.

19. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Those are old tires. My guess they are well past their use by date. I had a set on my Miata & they did not live a long life. They got hard & noisy before I wore them out.

20. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    The TT always wore them out, but that was also a really heavy car for its size. But I would imagine they are dry rotted by now. I shoulda sold them off to the VW guys after the TT met its untimely demise.