Do I have an OBC?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Miss T Fyed, Jan 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Miss T Fyed

Miss T Fyed New Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and just hope that this is the correct place to post this....

I'm also new to the Mini (09 Cooper Convertible) and despite reading and re-reading the book I cannot seem to get the Range, Average or Current fuel consumption nor the Average Speed functions to display. Pressing the button simply toggles between Current Speed / outside temp and time being displayed in the top display and then the lower display.

When setting the unit of measure the first menu item is the Distance option - the fuel consumption option is not there.

I can turn the Gearshift point display on and off.

When low on fuel the display will tell me that I have xx miles left in the tank but I cannot get a running display.

Could it be that there is no OBC or am I just being daft!

Any help, (no matter how much it shows my ignorance) welcome!

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A

Push the button on the end of the turn signal stalk to scroll though various settings.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    See above ^^^^. That's the answer.

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! OBC or not, you are still a MINI owner and therefore, are welcome to our lil piece of heaven on earth! :lol:

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    First post! Welcome to MA! Don't feel ignorant, we are all ignorant here at MA. All of us combined make one brain. :D

6. Miss T Fyed

Miss T Fyed New Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #6 Miss T Fyed, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    This is my problem, pressing the button only gives me Current Speed and Outside Temp/Time, all the others are missing. So the question really is....

Is the OBC on optional extra from new or has it been turned off?

Thanks for any help.

7. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    The OBC is an optional extra for several models, though as it's included in other models or option packs, many owners assume it's standard.

If your car does not have it, and you particularly want it, retrofitting it (that is, switching it on, since everything it needs is already there) is a listed official extra which a Mini dealer can provide. In Britain it's about $150, so that is a test of how much you really want it...

8. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    When I first got my '03 R50 and found the OBC, I just poked it one time and it illustrated just what was said above. I thought that that was odd but did nothing about it until I was waiting for my wife and was fiddling around with the button. I started poking it again and again, and, sure enough, each poke yielded a different reading. How cool, I thought, and still do. My 2 '06 R53s have it, as well, so I always thought it was a standard item on the Stateside MINIs.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    My wife's 08 clubman has it. Sorry for the confusion I may have caused. You may get the dealer to switch it on. My 06 did not have it, but the dealer switched it on for me.

If you tell us where you are we may be able to direct you to a MINI garage who can code your MINI the way you'd like. I used Helix in Philly to do ours. I had him do it while both of us were down at the dragon.

10. Miss T Fyed

Miss T Fyed New Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Many thanks to all concerned. I might call into the local (25miles) dealer and see what they say. I've been looking deeper into this (to begin with I thought it was just a setting that I had wrong but now realise that having an OBC is not a given) and I read somewhere that some one had looked up on a website and found what their Mini had fitted from new. Is this available in this country?

11. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0