Negotiating Extended Service Plan

Discussion in 'MINI' started by isleofbones, Feb 17, 2015.

1. isleofbones

isleofbones New Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Communications Director
    Long Island, New York
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I purchased my 2015 mini cooper s several weeks ago (driven very few miles due to crappy New York weather). Nonetheless, I have decided that I do want to purchase the extended maintenance plan (not the extended warranty). I am not looking for advice on whether or not it is a wise expenditure or whether the extended warranty is a more prudent purchase, etc. ... with all due respect. I've made my decision on the threshold question to my own satisfaction. Rather, I am looking for advice on negotiating the best price. The current rack rate (price) is somewhere around $1,700+. The best the snotty finance manager would do at my local Long Island dealership is to knock off $100. I have read on one of the sites (possibly this one) that some people had negotiated the price down to the $1,200+ range. Any ideas on how to negotiate a deal with anything close to this type of discount? If I purchase the maintenance from an out of the area dealer, I imagine that my local dealer would have to honor it? Should I reach out by phone for finance managers, send emails? Any guidance would be appreciated. Any referrals to specific mini dealership / personnel who offer good discounts would also be gratefully received.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Free bump for you.

Sorry I can not help as I do my own repairs and maintenance for the most part.

I do not believe in paying for maintenance in advance for any car at any Dealerahip.

It's a complete ripoff in my opinion.

3. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree with Dave. I understand if you don't have a place to do your own maintenance. I would check with some shops in your area to get a price on what the same work would cost from them. Then compare the numbers.