Could there be something wrong or did I set my expectations too high?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by rachyMCS, Mar 19, 2015.

1. rachyMCS

rachyMCS New Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    well about 3 weeks ago I changed my supercharger oil and surprisingly to me the oil on the waterpump side was almost clear and it had plenty of it and on the pulley side it wasn't completely black pretty dark but not black and on both sides gears were shining new!! anyway I added a 15% reduction pulley plugs and belt from Detroit tuned. also I installed a new tensioner new sparkplug wires and coil both oem and lca powerflex bushings strut tower defenders and strut mounts. new intercooler boots oem as well.
    everything when silky smooth I took my time and completed the whole job in 3 days.
    I did the ecu reset cluster method and the car did feel a bit different and the super charger sounds louder. after 4 days the car felt a bit better then on the second week the car progressively started to feel more sluggish and I don't know why. I don't have any codes my bpv works fine I taped my phone while recording it while I was driving and it works perfectly I don't have a boost gauge though so I don't know if I am now sure if I am loosing boost.
    I do have the one ball mod and I added an uni filter the cone type inside the stock box which I know I didn't over oiled, if anything I would say it needs more.
    so, the car feels just a tad different but not like I was expecting from reading what others have experienced I wasn't blown away. as of right now I am convinced that the pulley was not worth the money. or is it perhaps that I was just expecting to have a gp of the sudden well idk. oh and I mix 3 gal of 100 ocatane gas with 91 everytime I fill up I use shell or chevron and despite what many say that it makes no difference well let me tell you during 3 months I did a blind test. I sent my cousing to fill up and I would drive the car until it was time to fill up he would fill it up randomly and I had to guess when he would add the higher octane and I guessed right everytime. I have never taking it to any dyno so I guess don't take my word for it but at least for me it really helps the car idle and drive better, mind you the manual says to use at LEAST 91 octane, it doestn say that it is NOT necessary to use any higher so any comments? thanks

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    One ball mod! there's your problem. I think you may be sluggish if someone did that mod to you! I know I would be.:D

Check your SC boots make sure they are tight and one has not backed off allowing a leak.

Maybe check the air filter. I have a CAI and I cut a big hole at the back so it gets lots of cold air through the vents in front of the windshield.

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    sometimes it can be hard to tell how an older car will respond to mods...
    sometimes there is wear, or other items like old sparkplugs, or even low compression holding a car back.....even leaky ic boots or bypass valves....
    sure... a pulley is cheap hp...but since "horses escape" with age and wear....
    a pulley did make me smile on a 40000 mile car...was noticeably faster....not exactly night and day...tune was more "wow"....
    with a pulley, i found 93 octane, the typical premium in my area, to be a help....then i was tuned for it later....

4. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
    The pulley should have made a night and day difference for the most part. I'd look at other things that could be wrong. You might have to take it to some one that has a few years under there belt with the MINI that would know what to look for. the pulley has always been the best bang for the buck for power on the Gen 1 cars.

5. rachyMCS

rachyMCS New Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Well i am happy to inform all of you that this morning before going to work i reset the ecu once again and :D wow all the way i kept saying thats where the money is!!! Everytime i steped on the gas now i am a believer i just hope it stays like this.
    And i just love how the one ball mod sounds only if there was an aftermerket exhaust that sounds like that although i do understand that you cant have a quiet exhaust and substantial power gains.

I feel dumb. How can i change my profile picture? Thanks

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #6 ZippyNH, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    JCW and the milteck/stratosphere are all quiet with decent gains....for the $$ the scorpion (sold by bavarian auto in the us) is pretty good, slightly louder....
    Lots of others..but many buzz a bit or can be ricy....

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Glad you got it fixed!

8. rachyMCS

rachyMCS New Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yes thanks, well once again on the way home i enjoyed every single meter i passed people on the road(safely of course) damn i love my MINI :cool:
    Again i am having trouble setting up my profile. Help? :eek:

9. rachyMCS

rachyMCS New Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I think a should mention there are 95000 on the clock and if something should happen which i doubt it would, rather drop a factory remanufactured engine than switching cars, at least on my world 95k is not that much on the body i have no rattles plus i am not liking the ever growing grill of The new MINI i like the r56 though but thats just me. :smile5:

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    #10 MCS02, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    I'm not much help with your profile troubles. Try looking here.

How Do I... - Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums

Sorry I'm not more help. But theres a dude named Nathan who can help if you don't find the answer at the link.

11. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Really!? He's not thaaaat bad of a dude.

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok I must start reading what I type! Before I post!!

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Why I never do and that's why Savvy calls me Jimmy Dean with my sausage fingers typos. :lol::lol::lol::lol: