Leuuvi's TIRE THREAD!

Discussion in 'MINI' started by leuuvi, Nov 7, 2015.

1. leuuvi

leuuvi New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    sushi apprentice.
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm gonna start a few of these "Leuuvi's" Threads just cause I'm possessive. But I promise they will be helpful so keep em around.

Here We'll discuss our tire rotation depending on season, in short- What is your tire routine?

To keep it organized please follow the guideline:

1. Where do you mostly drive? Are there seasons? Does the road get hot and cold daily, or yearly? Or does it stay cold/warm throughout the year?

2. What size tires/wheels? (helps to be specific)

3. Do you keep a second set of wheels/tires?

4. Why?

Answer all of these and its bound to help someone... Plus its good to share too.

2. cristo

cristo Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    physician
    York, Pa
    Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -1
    Using 205/50/16 summer tires about 8-9 months of the year
    Highs in the 90s sometimes in the middle of the summer
    Currently have Conti ExtremeContact DW (good all around light
    comfortable summer max performance tire), before that Dunlop SportMaxx,
    (not quite as good, but did the job)and before that, Bridgestone Pole Position
    S-03 (better performance thanthe first two but stiffer and heavier).

Winter months - 185/65/15 Michelin X-ice Xi3 - very good compromise between
    good winter performance and retaining some dry grip and steering response.
    Had Blizzaks before these which were slightly better in the snow, but pretty
    vague and mushy feeling when the white stuff wasn't on the roads.
    Had the oem conti all seasons for winter before that - not that great in the snow.

3. leuuvi

leuuvi New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    sushi apprentice.
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Sweet! I might try the Michelin snow tires you mentioned when i make my move to Minnesota soon.

4. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    If you're moving to Minnesota... just go for Blizzaks. You'll be happy you did. I run General Altimax Arctics in the winter. Last year they didn't fail me with the miserable winter we had. And they wore very well. Still have enough meat left for this season and most likely next year as well.

5. jlbiker

jlbiker New Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    1. Where do you mostly drive? Are there seasons? Does the road get hot and cold daily, or yearly? Or does it stay cold/warm throughout the year?

South-East of Spain, 1574ft. Summer with hot and dry weather with an average of 77F and max around 103F. Winters are dry and cold with an average of 47F and low around 5F. During the fall it rains the most with an average of 300mm overall the year. Spring is smooth.

2. What size tires/wheels? (helps to be specific)

Right now I'm running with MG rims 16x6.5J (Picture in my garage) with semi-slicks Federal 595rsr 205/50/16. I use the car only during the summer break (late May to late August) that's why I have installed semi-slicks.

3. Do you keep a second set of wheels/tires?

I have another set, they are OZ Record 18x7J with Hankook Ventus V12 215/40/18.

4. Why?

I am only keeping this rims because maybe i would needed one day, but as soon as I can buy 17x7J I will sell them.

-Jose

6. leuuvi

leuuvi New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    sushi apprentice.
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gotcha. Im kinda shitting my pants a bit and trying to get mentally ready for the trip, hopefully it wont be snowy too much, although the irony is my move is exactly the first day of winter :D