For everyone that tows a trailer...

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Goldsmithy, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I just bought a Reese 'Backpacker' trailer to carry my wife's mobility scooter. It is extremely light and will fit my needs. It comes with 8" tires that I would like to replace. I have the room to replace the 8" tires with 12' inch tires. Most of my towing would be at 'freeway' speeds over long distances. My question...would the 12' size be better and should I get bias ply tires over radial tires for highway towing.

As always, TIA for any help or information.

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Not sure what the circumference is at the tread of the two tires.... But if you just work the math for the wheel diameter...

8" = 25.133" circumference.
    12" = 37.699" circumference.

You will greatly reduce the heat buildup on the tire and bearings by switching over to the larger size wheel and tires as well as increase the load carrying of the trailer...

I'm bias on radials.... Less heat...:Thumbsup:

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'm with Metalman. If you can fit the larger tires do it & make them radials. Also is there a way to put a spare trailer tire on there. If you do have a tire issue finding a trailer tire of the right size could be a problem.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Go with this.... (The spare not Mimi):Thumbsup:

[​IMG]

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I think I'd reach out to the trailer manufacturer and get a recommendation from them - they may even offer the larger wheel setup as an option.

There's nothing wrong with using regular trailer tires, just make sure you air them up properly - I found out the hard way that they run a lot higher air pressure than regular tires.

6. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    This discussion happens a lot on the Teardrop Camper forum. Those 8-inch Wheels and tires should be fine for the amount of weight you will be loading onto the trailer. Radials will be fine, too.

I'm sure the manufacturer didn't just pick the wheel/tire size out of thin air. As long as you don't overload your trailer according to manufacturer's specs, and keep the tires aired properly and hubs lubed, I can't think of a reason to mess with bigger wheels and tires.

CD