My MINI got beaten up

Discussion in 'MINI' started by BruceK, Mar 24, 2016.

1. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    After 14 years of my MINI having perfect sheet metal (not a single door ding due to sensible parking habits), my poor car was beaten up by a heavy hail storm last night. Late last night I heard tornado sirens going, and I turned on the TV to learn that a massive hail storm was literally minutes away (but fortunately there were no tornados!).

Normally my car would be safe in the garage out of harm's way, but I've been working on my classic Mini so that car is up on jack stands in the middle of floor - no room for the big MINI and no time to move things around. I quickly grabbed some old moving blankets and threw them on the MINI, but the winds were really picking up as the storm approached. I used some bricks to hold down the blanket on the hood, and I was securing the blanket on the roof with additional bricks when the hail started. And boy did it hit. I was getting pelted by pingpong- to golf ball-sized hail as I tried to fix the blanket on the roof. I had to retreat to the house where the noise of the hail hitting the house was deafening. It was all over in about 5 minutes followed by heavy rain, and my backyard and driveway were suddenly completely white with 4 inches of hailstones piled up. Warm rains on the hail created instant fog, and 14 hours later there was still hail hiding in the corners near the house.

I went to bed last night knowing that the hail broke no windows on the MINI (or on my wife's car, parked next to it), and I was pleased with that, but I couldn't determine if there were dents. My wife left for work while it was still dark this morning, so I have no idea how her car fared. But in the light of day I can see that my MINI has some small dents from the hail in the thin roof sheet metal. Since the roof is white, they are not too visible in bright sunlight, but they are definitely there. The car's hood has a couple very faint dents and the rest of the body seems to be fine. I attribute that to the blanket I used on the hood and the thicker sheet metal of the body.

So, now I need to figure out if I should just live with the dents, or file an insurance claim and suffer the increased premiums downstream. As a person who parks way, way in the back of the parking lot of wherever I so as to avoid door dings, I think I'll have some issues trying to live with a dented roof.

2. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure there are plenty of Paintless dent repairmen down in your area just for this reason. I would find a local person and give them a call. Have them look at your vehicle and give you a quote. I find most of the average repairs can be done below my deductible. And if not then perhaps just paying out of pocket will do you more good since you're worried about raising your premiums.

3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    +1 to the advice from Griz.

Must've been a helpless feeling not being able to shelter your MINI, and it sucks about the hail divots...but it sounds like your attempts to protect it would have made an entertaining YouTube vid. :devil:

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  5. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    double post...

6. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Good advice. I get a quote. And my wife just returned home with her Infiniti which has its own share of fresh but faint hail dents. So I'll get a quote on that too. I've got a feeling this hailstorm is going to fund the college education of the children of body shop and paintless dent removal owners!

I'm sure it would have been! It was all of 90 seconds of manic activity for me to burst out of the garage with blankets in hand, run back and forth pulling bricks from the big pile at the edge of the yard, and try to gingerly but effectively place them on top of the MINI before being severely pelted by hail and running away. The Yakety Sax song from the old Benny Hill TV show would be a good soundtrack for the video.

7. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    #7 BruceK, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    That would have been great! The cost is less than most people's deductible.

But, it needs a compressed gas instant inflator cartridge like a life raft. I literally had 90 seconds warning, so 5+ minutes it takes for that to inflate would have had me cussing like a sailor.

And I wonder if it really can deal with a full-on hailstorm. It's not like a few fly balls coming your way, it's more like there is a hole in the bottom of God's ice maker and it all rushes out at once.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I truly hate to hear that. My niece's ex does paintless dent repair. He told me once the metal on the mini is great to work with. It has a good memory and is easy to work the dents out of.
    Good luck!

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Man! no fun......I agree, let the paintless dent guys do their thing.....

10. whaap

whaap New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    retired
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ratings:
    +313 / 0 / -0
    I handled automobile insurance claims for 25 years with two different insurance companies. I have never known of a persons rates going up because of a comprehensive claim. Collision losses, yes. Comprehensive, which is hail damage, no. If you have any doubts, ask your agent.

11. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ I agree... Acts of nature are not your fault....

12. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    One your fellow Texans told me his method from removing the hail dents is to let the sit in the hot Texas summer sun until mid day then put some dry ice on the dent and it will pop right out. I've tried it here in Ohio and it does work.

13. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    ^I've heard of this and have seen video on the interwebs, but I was always skeptical.

14. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    What you say makes sense. I've paid for automobile insurance for decades and not filed any comprehensive claims. But I decided to put my car back right (and my wife's as well) so I filed two claims.

I'm insured with Geico, and they pulled out all the stops after the big hail storm 3 days ago to make the process easy. Setting up an appointment was simple. Here's the massive facility they used to inspect the cars. They pulled agents in from all over the state and had representatives from various body shops and paintless dent removal shops inspecting cars too. I washed both my car and my wife's car this morning to help better show the hail damage.

I actually received a compliment from one of the inspectors on the good condition of my 14 year old car. That was nice.

They said my car only needed PDR and the estimate was for about $2,300, while my wife's car would need some stainless door window trim mouldings replaced and lots of PDR with an estimate of about $4,200.

Now comes the wait for the call to put the cars in the shop.

Attached Files:

15. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Nice to hear that things went smoothly and that the repairs will be done through insurance after all that's why you pay the premiums.

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I'm glad you are getting the PDR option.... much less hassle keeping the oem paint intact than body putty and a respray.....

All of the repair shops will be in a mad rush to crank out as many finished jobs as possible in the shortest period of time...
    They will going for maximum turnover....
    The PDR guys use special lighting when they work the dents out.... Then the lights are put away when its time for you to accept the work...
    Just make sure your car isn't stuck over in a dark corner... get a good look at the work before accepting the completed job.... The PDR lighting would be the best for the final inspection...

[​IMG]

They do have the ability of making it perfect....

17. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    PDR for hailstorm damage is great. Many years ago my VW GLX got whacked while at the grocery store. I had that car for another 6 years and you couldn't tell excrept for the one the missed. I'm a big fan

18. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    So am I...it's like a miracle when you see a guy who really has skills doing it. When it's done right, you can run your hand over it (use your palm, not your finger tips) and shine lights on it from all directions and not find the repair.

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    That great news it's getting fixed! But I have one question.............so when you were out there pulling your Binny Hill imitation covering you Mini. Did you think about the wife's car? :devil:

You can tell us we won't rat you out, really you can trust us!:lol:

20. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    I had the pdr guy that has been at MOTD the last couple of years take a dent out of the roof, a pretty amazing process watching him do it. It came out perfect and was worth every penny.

If you have one or more and will be at MOTD in May check him out, he's good.