Dumb question - service light

Discussion in 'MINI' started by joho151, Apr 10, 2016.

1. joho151

joho151 New Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Veterinary Surgery Assistant & Pet-sitter
    Chittenango, NY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, probably a really stupid question, but I'd rather ask than be sorry. My service light came on today at startup. Just the orange car outline with the word Service above it on the digital readout. I haven't even put 3000miles on it yet and the dealership did an oil change before I bought it. Does that mean that the oil needs to be changed already, or do you think that the OBC didn't get reset when they did the service? Thanks guys!

2. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    If your car is brand new, then it probably is a good time to do an oil change anyways (break in period). If not, you would need to find out what needs servicing. You can go through the menus and there should be something on there to reset the service light or indicate what particular item needs servicing. Could be something as simple as the cabin air filter. Of course, if your car is coughing and sputtering, then you need to have it looked at.

If it comes on only when you start your car from cold, it could be you are low on coolant in the reservoir. But I thought there would be a coolant system icon on the display if that were the case.

Please post a picture of your car so we can tell which generation of MINI we're talking about and admire your ride. ... nevermind. I just looked it up in your profile. Nice car.

If your car is under warranty, get the dealer to fix it.