Long-ish distance driving in a MINI...

Discussion in 'MINI' started by caseydog, May 2, 2016.

1. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Background: I have a 2007 MCS with 100K miles on it. It is an awesome city car here in Dallas.

I travel a lot for business, mostly by air, but going from here (Dallas) to Houston to OKC, I rent a car and add it to my invoice. That makes perfect sense for my customers, because it is pretty cheap. It makes perfect sense for me, too, since I don't have to put miles, wear and tear on my car.

Here is my dilemma. Driving my nine-year-old MINI 200-300 miles on Interstates for personal travel.

I am driving to Houston later this week for Mother's Day. That means four hours on I-45. The speed limit is 75mph, so I'd be running at about 3,500rpm for most of that four hours.

I've reserved a rental car for the trip, for about 350 bucks. I can afford that, so the cost is no an issue. But, there is a part of me that wants to drive my MINI, instead of a Corolla or Hyundai.

I get 30mpg around Dallas, and driving at 3,500rpm for that long, I get 30mpg, at best. There again, it is not about the money, but it does kill my gas milage.

The question is, does a MINI CooperS make sense for a trip like this? Does it matter that my MINI has 100K miles on it?

CD

2. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Before I traded my '07 with 130K miles, I took quite a few 250 mile (one way) trips to visit a friend. 90% of it was 65-75mph and other than adding oil occasionally, which was normal for my car, I never had a problem.

3. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Our li'l guy takes us on long distance road trips regularly with no concerns. The longest so far was last year at 4 weeks and 6500 miles. Best advice, check all the fluids before departure and pack an extra qt. of oil in the boot, set the cruise control and motor. Sad to say there's not much in the way of backroads going your direction to make it more enjoyable. We avoid 4 lanes at all cost.

4. Pure87

Pure87 New Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Contracting.
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm heading 500+ miles down to the Dragon and have done it twice before with my 06 MCS. As long as you don't have any tall passengers in the back, your Mini should be fine for a long trip.

5. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Last year 7 hours back and forth to the Dragon. Then 7 hours back and forth to Watkins Glen. All in my '05 MINI.

6. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    When I go to Austin or San Antonio, I ditch the interstate and take the country roads through the Hill Country. It adds 30 to 45 minutes to the drives, but it is way less stressful. That also takes me near some of the best BBQ joints in Texas. Bonus.

Sadly, I haven't found a good route from Dallas to Houston on the same kind of roads I take to Austin/San Antonio.

I pop into Sewell MINI before a long trip, and they top off all my fluids for free. Besides being free, it saves me from having to read that stupid MINI dipstick.

CD

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You only have 100 K so drive what you enjoy. Now if you told me you had an 1980 Chevy Chevette that would be a different story. :D

8. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I would not have any concern driving a well maintained MCS with 100,000 miles from Dallas to Houston.
    Try to make the drive interesting such as taking a different route than usual. For example, instead of Hwy 45 take 35 & 290. Better yet take smaller roads such as 175/19 through Athens, Palestine, & Crockett.
    I have 96,000 miles on my 2006 and would not have a concern driving 1,000s of miles on a trip.

9. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Taking 35 and 290 would be even worse than 45. I-35 is the NAFTA Highway -- even more big rigs than I-45. Avoid that Interstate at all costs.

I do drive 287 though East Texas when I go to Port Arthur, but I have not tried doing that to get to Houston. 175/19 through Athens would add a couple hours to the drive to Houston, and isn't a pretty drive.

But, thanks!

CD

10. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    So, you guys don't have any issue with a four hour drive where three hours are running at 3,500-plus RPMs?

BTW, it probably won't matter this weekend, since it looks like I'll be driving home in thunderstorms. I'd rather do that in a Hertz rental than anything I own.

BTW 2, I drove my MINI from Dallas to Idabel, OK in the rain with Kumhos that were almost to the wear bars. It was like driving on ice. I bought new tires as soon as I got home.

CD

11. snixon3297

snixon3297 New Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Male
    Evans, GA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Last summer we drove to MI for MINI on the Mack from GA, about an 18-20 hour drive. We were in our 08 Clubman S with ~95K miles. We did the trek in 2 days, instead of straight through. Then didn't leave early enough from St. Ignace and got stuck in the upper peninsula for a couple of hours while they cleared the Mackinaw Bridge. A camper or two got knocked over by winds. I swear that storm chased us all the way down to OH.

12. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I may have just come up with an answer to my own question, after listening to your responses. I'd rather drive my MINI six hours to Port Arthur on two lane country roads through East Texas, or five hours to Austin through the Hill country, than for four hours on I-45 to Houston.

I've made the 1-45 trip to Houston in a Mercedes S-Class (press car), and loved it. Incredibly comfortable seats with massage functions, adaptive cruise control, and twenty-something speaker stereo. It was like driving down the interstate in my living room.

That same trip in my MINI sucks.

I think I'll use my MINI to do what it does well, and put the crappy miles on a rental car.

CD

13. TG.

TG. Active Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Last summer we did a 2500 miles road trip in about 9 days . . . but then again we have a Gen2 with only 30k miles...

I probably would get a little anxious with 100k on the clock for a 2500 miles drive. But a few 100s isn't much an issue for any car or I wouldn't put much trust in the car to start with :p

Secondly, imo, cars are happy at low-ish rpms for a period of time. It's gentler on the engine. That might be just me.

14. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't think twice about it, I didn't start doing power upgrades until 70k and stop doing upgrades until over 195k, made numerous 600 to 700 mile hwy trips in my '05 all the way up until I decided to pull the motor after a burnt valve at 212k, the last long trip was at 205k.

In general, Mini's tend to wear out, not come apart with high millage.

15. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Yout car will run OK ALL DAY at 3500 rpm...it normal for these motors.....
    Only you can answer if there are any ignored issues in the closet or defered repaired that will come back to haunt you...an improperly patched tire, slow leak in the cooling system, or other questionable items....
    Haven driven cross-country on several occasions in everything from $1000 back-lot Alaska auto dealers specials to big-rigs, to a nearly new SUV, I have typically averaged 600-1100 miles depending on the vechile type (truck was limited to 11 hours at 63 mph), and have never had a mechanical issue that delayed me by more than 2 hours....
    To stress over a 300 mile trip..ouch...most folks in my parts call that a trip to visit friends before lunch....
    Only you can determine if it makes economic sense!!

16. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    I've driven all of the MINIs in the family long distance - to Deal's Gap, to OBX, from Chicago...

The engines are fine buzzing about at 3k RPM on the highway. Hell, I averaged 77 MPH from MOTD last year to home, and got 35 MPG in the GP.

17. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I drive from Vancouver BC (Canada) to Portland OR at least once a year. No issues whatsoever. The long highway run cleans out the fuel system for you.

As long as your car is well maintained, you shouldn't have any issues.

I would do MTTS, which is a 15 hour drive to get there for me, if I could get the vacation time.

Now get out there and motor.

18. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Twice a year I drive from Philly, PA area to Fontana, NC and back non stop except for fuel and have not had any problems at all.

It all comes down to how big your bladder is and how long you can sit in the seat as long as your car is taken care of you should not have any problems at all. :Thumbsup:

FYI ~ do not buy 32 oz sodas at rest stops. :ihih::lol::devil:

19. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    In essence since the Mini is so small it's just natural to think of it as strictly an "around town commuter" (the wind up toy jokes don't help either) but it's not, it's a full fledged, get it and drive, automobile, plain and simple.

20. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Geez. This thread is hilarious. Drive the #&%! car!!!! That's what it's built for!!!

Actually, the car is built to drive 100mph+ all day, every day on the Autobahn. It doesn't even break a sweat at US (legal) speeds.