R53 sunroof question

Discussion in 'MINI' started by MelloCooper, Jun 26, 2016.

1. MelloCooper

MelloCooper New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Plumber
    Mount Washington, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have seen tons of post all over the interwebs about r53 sunroof problems. After reading through tons of the same problems and answers none seem to match what mine is doing. All I can find is posts about completely stuck open/closed. So I'm hoping some of you pros can steer me in the right direction.

On my 2004 r53 my sunroof pops up (in what I think of as a moon roof) then it slides back about two inches and stops. I re-lined my headliner and while I had it out I noticed it looks like it is binding on the driver side. When it binds the two tubes(I'm assuming they are cable guides) on the driver side flex as if the cables go under tension. I have tried to open it manually with the same results.

While I had the headliner out I greased the tracks and components with lithium grease with a flex straw. That was a fun time it would have been so much easier if could have got it all the way open. It's also hard to see the components to look for damage.

None of my tries to open the sunroof fully have worked. All this being said what does all this lead to? A new sunroof? Can I rebuild what I have? Any diy rebuilds? Or just live with my moon roof?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tony

2. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I can't say I've had the same problem with mine. But from what you are describing it sounds like it's unbalanced. Where the tension is higher in one side than the other. If that's the case it could be the cable stretched, an end has slipped, or a bracket is loose. I would get a couple of friends, one on each side to try and side the roof while you work the manual opener. If it opens that way then it has to be out of balance. It looks like repairing it is what you can figure out as the schematic on realoem.com doesn't show simple replacement parts.

Hope that helps.

3. MelloCooper

MelloCooper New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Plumber
    Mount Washington, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll have to try that with some friends. Not too worried about it if I can't fix it, but I figure it's worth a try.