Looks like I'm in the garage all weekend.

Discussion in 'MINI' started by MelloCooper, Jun 28, 2016.

1. MelloCooper

MelloCooper New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Plumber
    Mount Washington, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 MelloCooper, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    Dropped my kidss off at daycare this morning when I left my battery light came on and I lost power steering. Checked my belt it looks ok not loose or falling apart. My battery is still reading 12v. From what I've read several ppl have had this same issue and it turned out to be the altanator. Correct me if I'm wrong. Mini wants $1100 just to change the alt.
    So for now I have a new alt, serp belt, tensioner stop, belt tool, and a crank positioning sensor seal on the way to my door. Is there anything else I should be looking to replace while I'm in there.

I knew the day would come that I would need to put the car into front end service mode and it looks like it's here. Any tips for a first timer taking the front off? I have watched ModMinis video a few times and it just looks time consuming.

Thanks in advance and wish me luck.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    What year and is it an S or cooper?

3. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    How is your air conditioner working? A buddy with an 04 was having air conditioner problems (thought he had a slipping clutch), but his alternator light came on whenever he tried to run the A/C. As it turns out, his harmonic balance had failed and the outer ring was slipping on the hub. Surprisingly enough, it was not throwing belts. Make a radial chalk mark on the balancer from the hub to the outer ring, go for a short drive and see if they still line up.

Regarding "service mode", it's not nearly as hard to do as it sounds. Get it up to a comfortable working height, remove the front wheels and go to work. The bumper cover will be off in just a minute or two. The aluminum bumper comes off very easily. There are about 4 of the plastic clips with the phillips screw in each fender liner, pull the crash tubes (a rubber hammer is your friend), get some bolts to screw in the holes the bumper bolts came out of (M6 x 4", I think), and gently slide the front bulkhead forward on the bolts. The aluminum bumper has one bolt and the rest are nuts on each side. It's really easy.

Better yet, remove both fender liners before you start. You have to take off the passenger side to get access to the belt. You can clean them up and use 303 Protectant on them. Takes maybe 5 minutes to pull one off. Once you're safely lifted up, you'll probably be in service mode in 45 minutes or less.

If you were close by, I'd invite you over and we could knock that out in a hurry.

Rawhyde

PS Don't tighten the crash tube bolts until the aluminum bumper is reinstalled

4. MelloCooper

MelloCooper New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Plumber
    Mount Washington, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Msc02 it's 2004 S.
    Rawhyde thanks for the tips. The a/c is working fine. Chalked lined the HB and after a short drive it is lined up still. I would have never thought to check it that way. This is why I ask you guy's before jumping in. Lucklly I'm on vacation till the 7th so I have plenty of time to get this and a lot of engine bay cleaning done b4 I need the car again.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Well sense you have to do all that work you might as well put a 15% pulley and ATI crank pulley on it. I don't know if it has been said already but get a new belt tensioner

6. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    ^that. And to the OP... You'll come to learn we're good at spending other people's money.

7. MelloCooper

MelloCooper New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Plumber
    Mount Washington, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wish I could drop a pulley in but cash is short atm. That's coming after I get all my suspension upgraded.

8. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Check the jump stud connection in the black plastic box on the left side of the firewall. They are known to come loose and/or corrode and give the exact symptoms of a bad alternator.

9. MelloCooper

MelloCooper New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Plumber
    Mount Washington, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That was one of the first things I checked. I was hoping it was something that easy but I'm not that lucky.

10. MelloCooper

MelloCooper New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Plumber
    Mount Washington, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well everything went good on the alternator replacement. Had no troubles during the whole repair. Spent the last three days scrubing under the bonnet with a tooth brush, plastic scraper and diluted simple green spray. Topped it of with some 303. I think it made a huge difference and now I have a clean engine all the way around. Should make any future leaks easier to spot. Here's afew pics

Attached Files:

11. MelloCooper

MelloCooper New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Plumber
    Mount Washington, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dirty

Attached Files:

12. MelloCooper

MelloCooper New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Plumber
    Mount Washington, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Clean

Attached Files:

13. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Great job! Looks like you have a lot of weekend left!

Now, I gotta go into work and tie in some additional electrical panels in a data center without...

1. shutting down any servers, or
    B. getting myself or anyone else hurt

14. MelloCooper

MelloCooper New Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Plumber
    Mount Washington, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Working Live is always fun. Be safe. Thanks

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator