Reading Fault Codes

Discussion in 'MINI' started by newmar, Jul 31, 2016.

1. newmar

newmar New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Retired aircraft mechanic
    Houston, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I read all the time about sensors throwing a code. Would someone explain to me how they are reading the code? Are you using a special code reader device or does the code display on the instrument cluster somewhere? Thanks for any info!

2. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    If you get a Check Engine Light (CEL) then a sensor is detecting something wrong and generating a code.

To read the code, you need a scanner, or you can go to a local AutoZone who will read the code for free. They hook up the scanner to a port under the driver's side of the dash, and that scanner reads the fault and displays the code.

The code probably won't tell you much by itself, and you'll need to refer to a list to find out what it means. There is a list of the codes on this site, and books like the Bently Service Manual for your car will also have a list of codes.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Also the readers are cheep. It's a good idea to get one.

4. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    A Peake Research code reader (plugs into OBD port...the same place the state guys plug into at annual emissions time) coupled with a Bentley manual to tell you what the codes mean has served all my needs for the past decade maintaining my 2004 Mini Cooper.

I would suggest anyone with a Mini Cooper who intends to maintain it themselves needs these two essential items.

5. newmar

newmar New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Retired aircraft mechanic
    Houston, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks folks, I will definitly invest in a reader and the Bentley manual. Thanks again!

6. seddono

seddono New Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello to you, I am new to the site and new to owning an R53 Mini Cooper S. Before I bought it, I test drove it and scanned it with a standard diagnostic scanner and it came up with no DTC codes. However, I noticed when the car got warmed up, it would hard shift from 1st to second gear and hard shift down from 2nd to 1st gear.

I reset the ECU and that didn't help so I decided to invest in a more thorough scanner and purchased an Autel Maxidiag Elite MD802. After doing an all systems scan with the Maxidiag it came up with a fault code: 3330 NOT PRESENT EGS Shift Respone S1. I've search the many different threads an couldn't find anything relating to this code. I'm wondering if it's a sensor or something that can be reprogramed