General questions in buying a MINI

Discussion in 'MINI' started by colormonster, Aug 25, 2016.

1. colormonster

colormonster New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hello everybody and all MINI owners, I have some questions about buying a MINI and I hope you all can help me get things all cleared out.

Im a new car owner to be and I am looking forward to buying a MINI, but this all seem intimidating.

So i've configured a MINI to my liking on the miniusa website, what would be the next step to take from here? How will dealer know about it? and what should I tell them when I walk into a dealership?

Many thanks in advance!:Thumbsup:

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    When I configured My MINI on miniusa, there was an option to send my MINI specs to my closest dealer. I got an email the next day inviting me to come in for a test drive. I did and bought my MINI off of the lot, it had more options than the one I configured but they were having a promotion for MINIs that were in stock and I got my MINI for less than the one I built on the configurator.

3. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Dealers generally prefer to sell what they have in stock, especially if it has been on the lot for a while.

I don't buy new, anymore, but I still look at what's in stock in the pre-owned inventory of the dealership, and then go check out the car/cars I like.

CD

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! Once finished there is an option at the top of the page to send it to the dealer, as DneprDave said. If you decide to order what you sent them I believe they will add a few hundred dollars for destination charges. But once there you may find one on the lot you like. What model are you planing on buying?

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Is this your first car? Do you want it to be reliable?

The the answer to the second question is yes do not buy a MINI.

MINI has poor reliability and too many recalls.

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps....
    But some folks are willing to trade in the feeling if driving an appliance for fun.
    Don't take Dave's statement to mean he dislikes MINI's....but he has a valid point....the first year to 18 months with a new generation or model with MINI is kinda rough as they fix issues....and some changes are made to later production cars....
    Many folks here like the older cars....but reality is they were no different...2002, 2007, now the gen3 cars 2014-17 depending on the new enlarged models versions are the new ones....
    Enjoy your MINI voyage....
    Sure you can custom order a car, I did in 2004....but you can also get one in-stock....might get a GREAT DEAL with the slow sales mini is having in the US at the moment.

7. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    If you decide to pull the trigger on a build, the page will ask you what dealership to send it to. The MA at the dealership will then be in touch with you. Otherwise, what they ^^ said. Just walk in and pick one out.
    My co-pilot built and ordered her CM last year, easy peasy.

8. colormonster

colormonster New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My biggest concern now is like the extra options like the sunroof checker design or interior options would be hard to find in the already-in-the-lot stocks, or at least not matching the ones i've chosen.

the model im going for is countryman all 4 (2016 not 2017 the coming one)

did she had to pay for the destination charge like MCS02 mentioned?

thanks again!:cornut:

9. colormonster

colormonster New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for all the tips you guys are giving me, I really appreciate it!

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Just don't settle for less than you want, you will regret it. Sometimes you get to the lot and drive one and get excited then think this one is ok. Don't fall into that trap part of the fun can be ordering your car and waiting for it. I don't know if they still do this but when you ordered you MINI you could track it being built and then on the boat, once it shipped. Of course I do remember one year the ship sank with everyones MINI on board, that would not be so fun.:cryin::lol:

Also once you get it you have to Mod it, the you-ification of your MINI! Outmotoring.com has some great stuff and they support the community.

Good luck, have fun!

11. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 6 / -5
    Good luck on your quest for the perfect MINI and Welcome to Motoring Alliance the bestest MINI forum on the interweb !!

12. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Yes. You can call it a destination charge or you can think of it as a commitment to finish what you started. Either way, when it arrives, it's YOUR MINI, not someone else's idea of one.

13. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Yeah...dealers tend to make "price point cars" and add stiff like a sunroof that many dislike cause it's BIG, but skip smaller , but very nice to have items cause they are not as noticeable.
    While MINI's are less custom than they were years ago, there are still more options than on a typical new car.... especially many Asian cars with just 3 trims, no options.

14. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    General question to all: How close are we to not being able to say; 'no two MINIs alike'?

15. colormonster

colormonster New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thats great, thank you all for giving me great advices and helping me set my mind straight! this is really a great community and i really appreciate it!
    I will try to stay strong and go for the MINI of my options!

16. sair32

sair32 New Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've recently sold my mini and bought a renaultsport Megane 225 ... I miss her loads .... They're very problematic cars but tell me a car that's not ... I would get another tomorrow If I could ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! :Thumbsup:

I've only bought one new MINI and that was a leftover '06 MCS...the last of the supercharged models. I was not looking to buy a turbo, as it was a new idea and at the time, it was a wise decision, namely due to all the problems BMW has had with them.

However, I think that, even with all the problems the MINIs face, it all boils down to how the owner takes care of his car. Keep up with the maintenance, change the oil frequently and stay abreast of any other things that may arise, and you should be fine.

The S I bought in '06 now has well over 100k miles and I plan on keeping it.