Blower motor has stopped

Discussion in 'MINI' started by herchammer, Sep 17, 2016.

1. herchammer

herchammer New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well folks, we are on week two with our '09 r56, and we've encountered a problem with the blower. I'm referring to the blower for the climate control system; it has just stopped working. This car has the Auto function. The control display confirms the zones selected for airflow, when you adjust the fan switch, it's indicating the various intensities; there's just no air moving through the vents. I've checked fuse 46 (30A) and fuse 31 (5A) both appear to be good.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Of course it could be a bad motor, but that would be very early for it to go out. I am mainly a Gen 1 guy so Im not much help. But heres a bump till some one can help.

3. Rainman768

Rainman768 Active Member

May 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I recently replaced the blower motor on our clubby (standard A/C) but it gave plenty of warning ahead of time. Noises that varied with fan speed, etc. Sorry I can't be of more help.

4. herchammer

herchammer New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the replies folks. Rainman768, it made no noise at all prior to this.

5. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    My R56 does not have the Auto function, so I'm kind of winging it, here. But, if you can manually adjust the blower speed, and nothing happens, I would tend to think the blower motor is where I would focus my attention. Back in the day (when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the earth), blower motors were something you replaced on a pretty regular basis, like most things you rarely replace today. They usually made a lot of noise before they died, but not always.

I would try to get power directly to the blower to see if it runs.

If it does, then you are getting into electronics, which means you are screwed. Of course, you can always try the old "thump your hand on the dash" repair tactic. Hey, it sometimes works.

CD

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Have you checked to see if it is throwing any codes? I don't have a Bentley manual for your year mini but there may be a relay to check also. I just don't know for sure.

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Pull the cover up over the battery and look down and see if a varmint has made a nest in there -sometimes they can stop a blower motor.

You can also check the condition of the cabin filter while you're looking in there......

8. herchammer

herchammer New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll have to bring a meter home from work to check power and ground on the motor.

Pulling the battery cover up and checking in there is easy enough. Thanks again everyone.

9. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Blower resistors are pretty common on these things , Typically when the motor goes bad , it makes a lot of noise.

Defiantly check the filter , make sure they have created a chipmunk condo in there.

10. herchammer

herchammer New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    eMINIparts, thanks for the info, I'll try to research where the resistor is located.

11. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    When I picked up my car from the dealer (took delivery), I drove it off the lot and it started to rain. To my surprise the only setting on the blower that worked was full power. So I suspect the fan speeds are controlled by a relay to various resistors.

For me, it was covered under warranty, but it might be a simple relay/resistor module that needs cleaning or replacing.

... or they just replace the control module.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=MF73-USA-11-2009-R56-Mini-Cooper_S&diagId=64_1543

12. herchammer

herchammer New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just a quick report on this matter to close out the thread. We took Lilly to a certified mechanic friend of ours and he checked her out. Turns out the blower motor was done in. We had him order a new motor and make the repair. Good as new..........except now she's developed a coolant leak and the thermostat housing appears to be the culprit. I've got the part on order and I'm going to give the repair a shot, myself.

Just wanted to say thank you to all of you who provided suggestions and feedback.

13. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,974 / 6 / -5
    Good to hear that your original problem has been solved. Hope everything goes smoothly for you with the cooling leak.