Well Crap!!!

Discussion in 'MINI' started by bigjas, Dec 5, 2016.

1. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    #1 bigjas, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    I'm sitting in a parking lot waiting for tow truck. I was heading up to Denver for a meeting this morning (about 90 miles). The Mini was running great as I approached the south end of Denver. I tried to downshift due to traffic and could not get the car in any gear. Fortunately I was able to get over and onto the right shoulder. At around 10 mph I was able to get it in second gear and I continued to the closest exit.

As an optimistic pessimist, I did manage to find a silverlining in my current raincloud. At least this happened on the south end of Denver, and not on my way to Texas in the middle of nowhere later this week.

I was able to execute a couple of shifts to get it off the interstate into a parking lot. The car will go into any gear when the engine is off and the clutch is depressed. However, when the is engine running, there is an onnious noise and a distinct smell of doom is developing.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with 3Zero3 Motorsports in Wheatridge, CO?

2. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    3Zero3 in Wheatridge is a good high end shop, mostly the P and B cars, but I suspect they can work thru a 06 MINI just fine. Not going to be cheap but the work will be good.

Don

3. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Sorry to hear about more problems with your new MINI. Hopefully, you've gotten to the end of the "new to me" repairs. I hope you spend most of your money in Texas on good BBQ and tacos.

You could even take the 72oz steak challenge at the Big Texan in Amarillo on your drive down, if you have good health insurance. :eek6: :D

Warning, if you are anything like me, you may find this video rather disgusting... and yet hard to stop watching. :shocked:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESCB_-8L994"]Molly Schuyler vs The Big Texan 72 oz steak challenge x 2 - YouTube[/ame]

CD

4. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I suspected that when I showed up with the car on the back of a tow truck. I picked them for a couple of reasons, but the main one was they give a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty on their work. That is as good as any I have seen from a shop. Hopefully I will have an estimate tomorrow. It took over three hours to get a tow truck today, and it was almost 3:00 PM by the the car was dropped off and the paperwork was done.

5. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My whole travel budget will be blown before I ever leave. I may have to take the challenge just so I can eat! I could probably last a day or two on one meal.:lol:

And you were right; that video is like watching a gruesome event - you want to look away, but curiosity wins.:eek6:

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Sorry to hear you broke down! What a bummer!

7. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I could eat an 8 ounce steak dinner for 9 days with that 72oz challenge steak.

I really hope your trip down here to Texas is a good one.

CD

8. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have made the trip numerous times in the last 17 years. Sometimes only to Amarillo, and sometimes all the way to Temple (or Troy).

I am still waiting to find out if the Mini will be making trip, but I will have fun either way. It may just be less fun traveling.

9. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Well with our snow and the -4 and below hanging around the Denver/FR area I suspect you are still waiting to get the MINI.

Enjoy your trip to Texas, the MINI will be here when you get back, just not as fun a trip I suspect.

Don

10. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The Mini is at 3Zero3. I drove to Texas in a rented Hyundai (cheaper than driving my truck). Travel would have been much more enjoyable in the Mini, but I will have to wait for another time.

11. dkdzyn

dkdzyn Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Designing... EVERYTHING, what else is there?
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome back to Texas! If you want a great Texan meal, you're going to have to make your way down here to Austin! I have three BBQ places that are on a few top ten lists nationally all within 20 Mini-utes drive from my garage door!

I hope your problem isn't too expensive. It sounds clutchy... I've had a seemingly endless list of issues with my Clubman since I rescued it from its last owner about 4 months ago.

I am interested in what the outcome is on your car. I've been collecting mental series of breakdown symptoms with minis ever since I drove mine off the lot. Go figure why!?!?

12. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I will be in Austin most of Sunday with one of my daughters. If you give me some details, I will see if she is interested.

Thanks!

13. dkdzyn

dkdzyn Member

Dec 8, 2016
    Designing... EVERYTHING, what else is there?
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    -Franklin BBQ downtown Austin is proported to be the greatest by many. Truthfully, I've never been there because the line is always so long, i can never get in before they run out! The owner has a local Public Access type show about making BBQ that is a fun watch!

-The Salt Lick in Driftwood, southwest of Austin seems like it takes forever to get to, but isn't really that far. An endless line for this place too, but they never seem to run out of BBQ. If you arrive between 3-5pm, you can probably almost walk right in, after 5 to about 9:30pm, it becomes a madhouse any time but mid week. Their smoked turkey is amazing, the ribs tend to be overcooked. This is a place for their unique sauce more than anything. The brisket is good, AMAZING by comparison to anything but other Texas BBQ, but what you put ON IT is what MAKES it. If you like sauce on BBQ, this is the place.

-Blacks, Kreuz Market, Smitty's Market and Chisholm Trail are ALL in the little town of Lockhart about 50 minutes (or less) drive south of Austin. To me, each has something to love about them... I enjoyed Blacks and they have good crusty brisket ends which are VERY flavorful but their place is kind of cramped feeling to me. Personally I have found I like Smitty's Market overall for their meat and sausage. My family had to share their last two ribs one night and they were AMAZING and being the LAST ones, I can only imagine what a whole rack is like...

My boss who eats a pretty fair amount of varied BBQ swears by Kreuz Market and it IS good, but for my veins, a little too fatty. If you like the fat flavor (and I actually DO) this is some great BBQ, but if you live around here, it becomes a real "once in a long while" thing I think... I need to eat leaner. And everyone says Chisholm Trail is the value spot for BBQ that is just barely below the other three in flavor/quality (Which makes it probably better than BBQ anywhere else) but I personally haven't yet gotten there. ALL of these places don't promote using sauce of any kind and you surely don't need it.

Really, you can order BBQ from any number of local smokers including some interesting roadside ones and have an amazing meal, but these are the crown jewels of Central Texas smoked beef BBQ in my opinion. After eating at any one of these, I just don't bother EVER eating BBQ anywhere outside of Texas (or maybe Memphis) anymore. :drool

If you just want to get good easy BBQ, any Rudy's, Fuchak's, Dickey's or several other places will be wonderful, It all comes down to "how well do you know your meat?"

Enjoy your visit to The Lone Star State!

14. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ^^^ Darn, I thought you owned a Mini and three BBQ joints!!! I have seen the show with Franklin on the Create tv channel (a PBS spinoff). Thanks for the lowdown.

15. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well, as good as Texas BBQ is (and it is, I admit) you still need to come to Kansas City for the BEST BBQ - it all begins with the meat, and good ol' Kansas corn fed beef is top stuff.....

16. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    And here we go again. :) :) :)

Don

17. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    It's all good! :drool

18. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Ok I was trying to be quiet.....but

Texas may do brisket well, but the best pork BBQ is made in Memphis. This is a fact! :biggrin5:

19. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    It's not the location, it's the cook and a good cook could be anywhere! :Thumbsup:

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    That is nice of you to say,but you are mistaken! We keep the secret to real BBQ in Memphis. It's like the Blues. The Blues can be played by lots of people but one must be in Memphis the home of the Blues to really play the blues! :biggrin5: