Foxnews Review: 2012 JCW Coupe

Discussion in 'MINIs in Other Media' started by Rixter, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
  2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #2 Jason Montague, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
    :cornut: That certainly was a 'Love Hate' article. Me,it's not for me but,it seems to be a very good car and will appeal to those that perhaps the sedan doesn't appeal to. It does spread out the line and should keep MINI solvent(which we MINI people all want). He's wrong about the 2nd generation Clubman having no counterpart in the Classic Mini line. Y'all correct me if I err but, if memory serves, it was called the Traveler. As I recall(again I might be in error), the classic Countryman was more sedan looking. Anyway, the article seemed to me a little wishy washy and short on historical facts.:lol::lol::lol::Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    A history lesson....

Originally the classic Mini was made in Austin and Morris versions and the Austin estate version was called the Countryman while the Morris version was called the Estate. So the car on the left will be an "Austin Mini Countryman" - this makes it a later model as the early Minis made by Austin were called Austin Sevens. Classic Mini estates were made with and (later) without the real wood which was non-structural.

The Clubman name was used after Mini had become a brand in its own right for the square-fronted version of the classic Mini. There was also an estate version of this, shown on the right, called the "Mini Clubman Estate" - the Countryman name had been dropped.

mintraveller.jpg clubmanest.jpg

There will be a short test later, to see if you were paying attention, boys and girls....