Jobs around the Dragon?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TheModFather, Jul 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I am weighing my options, and thinking about moving down around Knoxville in a couple years! Anybody know of any decent companies to look into around there? Preferably in the construction/exterior finishing field. Its a ways out, but never hurts to start looking early. :D

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Zeb's Outhouse Fabricators and Painters, Inc.

3. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    I hear they offer a great benefits package.

4. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Being serious here guys!

Figured there would be somebody in the area who would actually know... I've found a few construction companies on line, and they say they are hiring, but you know how that goes.

I love my job here in CO, but I can not stand how crowded the state has become... Plus I cant se spending $900-$1300 a month for a decent apartment in a place I dont want to live... Thats the average here! From the listings I have recently found, outside of Knoxville I could be BUYING a 4 bedroom house on more than one acre of land for less per month than that!

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I think Knoxville's like a lot of places - if you're willing to work hard in that line of work, you can probably find work. The more rural parts of western NC... not tons of jobs. But Knoxville is a lot more "metro".

6. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    That would be my reason for looking there... Still a lot of people, but different than the Commiefornia culture that CO has adopted.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You could always work at Home Depot or Lowes until you get settled in and find a good contractor to work for.

8. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    I've done jobs like that before and find them so boring I cant do it! And they start out at like $10 an hour if your lucky... Not enough to live on. :(

I think something should be able to pop up in the timeframe I am thinking... (Got to pay the Jeep off first, and still have a couple years on that) Now if I could find a contractor that pays well (I know they are out there, I was started at G.E. Johnson at $17 an hour, and got a couple more once they figured out I knew what I was doing a couple weeks later) then I might be able to relocate earlier, but there are a lot of variables that go into it.

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I understand Dick, good luck on the relocation / job search. :Thumbsup:

Get that motor in your car yet?

10. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Knoxville has some suburbs on US 129 near the Dragon, like Alcoa [where the aluminum foil and all are made] as well as Maryville. you could do a search on local industry there.... Just offering an opinion....

11. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Also quite a few colleges around that area Tenn/NC line and they are always expanding. Probably have some of their own crew.. May or may not pay the greatest but would most likely have very good benefits.. I hope you don't mind the Tenn Vols orange if you plan to live in the Knoxville area. It is everywhere!!! College town of course, but has a great down town area near the football stadium with lots of beer pubs!!! and sites that are still standing from the World's Fair in 1982..( yep I was there )

12. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    When looking at your options and budget, do remember TN has no state income tax. If that helps you figure out your financial position.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The new theme song in Alcoa, TN.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk"]Exclusive "Weird Al" Yankovic Music Video: FOIL (Parody of "Royals" by Lorde) - YouTube[/ame]

14. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Thats one thing I miss about living down there... Here over a grand a year comes out of my check, and into Colorado's pocket! Then they want more and more for things like vehicle emissions which do absolutely no good, and I have to pay for stuff I dont use like our public transportation tax, its like $30 out of each check just so the state can run empty buses 18 hours a day.

15. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Good luck in the search, 2 years will go by fast, so take what you find when you find it.

You did see my cross-posting on FB to your account, in good humor of course. :devil:

I see you managed to rile Teena, no bueno. ;)

Can't say your wrong, CO is going weird very weird. Not everyone can hide in the mountains and those I know that work in the mountains work their butts off and do not really enjoy....

Don

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hey Man you could always become a TN LEO an when you patrol the DRAGON you could let us all drive as fast as we want. :rolleyes: :devil:

Heck I will even let you chase me with your Lights and Sirens on to see if you can catch me. :lol: :lol::lol: You won't and you can not use your radio to call for help.

I will bring you Lunch and a few cold beers everyday and you can stop by for Dinner every night.

17. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    You can always look in USAJOBS.GOV to see if there are any federal jobs in your field for that area.

18. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Why Knoxville?...You always get to the Dragon in a MINI.

19. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0

Well I was going for around the Ft. Campbell area (Clarksville, Oak Grove, Hopkinsville) however (1) I want to be closer to the mountains, and (2) I want to be outside of the military towns, because jobs are harder to find, and the mix of people always moving in and out make it hell when they are not used to the area, weather, and traffic patterns.

Knoxville is a college town, so yes some of those problems will still occur especially close to the campuses. I can adapt to that with a little time. The mountains, granted nowhere near the size or elevation of the rockies are close... Really close. Going to the beach on a 3 day weekend is also doable from there, without all the hurricane risk of being closer to the ocean full time.

Dave, I could never see myself working LEO... Done the military thing for years, and that was enough! If I ever did though, I would let you play with the lights and siren as you are chasing your car... As long as "it NEVER happened! ;)"

Don, you can understand my frustrations with CO these days... If you dont have a bike strapped to your Prius with anti gun stickers stuck to them, its like you dont belong here. High up in the mountains around timberline is great, its beautiful, mostly clean (so long as people dont throw their trash everywhere), but you can only get up there for a few months out of the year (if its not burning down), and the state and transplanted people are doing everything they can to keep people out of there. Other than that the whole 40 mile wide strip of land next to the mountains where the majority of people who live in the state call home SUCKS! I'm also not a farmer, so I dont go out to the east side much, unless I am at somebody's ranch controlling coyotes one round at a time.

So there you guys have some of my reasons for wanting to GTFO as soon as I possibly can. A couple years does go quick, thats why I started looking into everything already. ;)

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Hay come to TN its a good place. Ok I can't stand UT, but other than that its a good place.

It kills me that the people that preach all this environmental crap are the ones craping all over the place. Sorry if I offend someone but I'm in the north east today and where I'm at is just like LA. They have made a mess and now want to tell me how I should live and what rights need to be taken away.
    When I was in Denver the other day it made me sick. If one more 20 something ,able bodied kid asked me for money I thought I would scream.

Yea I'm one of those, I'm clanging to my Bible and Guns!

If I hear of something I will let you know.

Sorry for the rant